Ear plugs or no ear plugs that is the question?

Do you use ear plugs to prevent hearing damage.

• Yes I wear them all the time

Votes: 201 54.0%
  • No never used them..

Votes: 132 35.5%
  • Pardon......

Votes: 39 10.5%

• Total voters

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought this:

Foam Ear Plug Trial Pack: Try 'Em All! (58 Assorted Pairs) - Foam Ear Plug Trial Packs

Its 58 different types of disposable earplugs to try out. $14.95 + $7.50 for 2 day shipping 22.45$ for at least 2 months safe hearing. Plus when I am done I will have a shoot off of my favorites and the winner gets to bought by the gross and shoved into my nasty ear canal for years to come! :surrender:

hope this works, the headphones are struggling to top the wind noise and I dont want in on that battle.
Thats an excellent call, trialing loads. I was relaay lucky in that the first pair \i tried were excellent and cheap as chips (fries).

Nooj

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wear them on any trip longer than a mile where I'm likely to get above 40 mph. I already have tinitus and don't want it getting any worse.

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
the only time i actually wear ear plugs is when I am not actually riding but when i am cornerworking at the track. A pack of 20 bikes screaming by you 15 feet away at 100 MPH gets really loud without them.

exactly. except i flag, so they actually are only about 3 feet in some corners. i wear headphones on longer trips with music, sometimes.

doc_simple

Meat Popsickle
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats an excellent call, trialing loads. I was relaay lucky in that the first pair i tried were excellent and cheap as chips (fries).

Too many options! I have afeeling I will end with a couple dozen that work great, the hard part will be picking one for the pallet purchase.

P080407001.jpg

trampld

Reaction score
Visit site
I do not wear ear plugs, never considerid it tbh.

I dont use them because I think it is better to be able to hear the engine and all the noise around you. Plus having earbuds in could cause you to go deaf.

Throw away earphones or go deaf, iPod users told | News | This is London

At least with Ipod earbuds :thumbup:

That is an interesting/alarming article - I use ear buds a LOT during my work day to listen to music - though they are not the ones that came with the iPod, they are quite similar....I knew there was a good reason to invest in new headphones! :D

DanG

Reaction score
Visit site
Tried ear-plugs last week for the first time ever (on a bike) but I'm not convinced. Yes they do cut out a lot of wind noise, but they also cut down a lot of other noises too, especially sounds of the motor and of the tyres on the road. I don't know how much these contribute to the rider's sensory input, but I just felt I was missing out....

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tried ear-plugs last week for the first time ever (on a bike) but I'm not convinced. Yes they do cut out a lot of wind noise, but they also cut down a lot of other noises too, especially sounds of the motor and of the tyres on the road. I don't know how much these contribute to the rider's sensory input, but I just felt I was missing out....
Its like anything mate. confidence in their use. Remember how winter gloves feel weird the first use of the year.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of earplugs; can someone recommend great headphones that I may use inside my helmet? I would like to listen to my IPOD but when I put on my helmet the headphones slightly slip off and render the music weak.

P.S. I currently have the standard ipod phones and, the vmoda vibes but they slip out more often than not.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks I looked over that posting right after I clicked submit :) I'll give the Etymotic ER6i a try!

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are some facts about prolonged noisy environments.

Stock exhaust, I'm guessing is around 90 to 95 dBa's and this doesn't include the wind noise as you're rippin' at 100 mph. OSHA recommended exposure to 97 dB sound and over is 3 hours. If you don't protect your hearing, what will you be listening to later in life?

Just a side note, I found my Scorpion EX-1000 helmet to be noisier than my old Bell Apex, so I wear the ear plugs all the time.

thulst

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Because of all the wind in our country I use the plugs all the time. In the beginning I din't. But being fourty+ I started having this ringing noise in my ear. So I bought earplug from the rack. They work perfect. Two different kinds of silencers. Strong and stronger. Because I drive my bike every day I ordered custom made plugs as well.
The first set I like the most. Tey are very comfortable and affordable as well. $10 to $15. The cutom made around $75. That kind of money can't pay for loss of hearing in a later stage.

thedrew

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the Moldex ones recommended on webbikeworld... Can't remember the model number off hand... they are green, foam, and work well and are very comfortable. I dont use them for short trips around town but for a ride where I'm on the bike for more than 20 minutes I will have them in. I keep a handful of pairs in my tank bag at all times.

I think I paid $25 for the 250 pair box.

I can still hear everything just fine, they do an excellent job of drowning out the wind noise and other ambient sounds. I can still hear the motor just fine, birds chirping, etc... Worth it.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually add to the noise by listening to music on trips. gotta love that rush of taking a curve perfectly while listening to your favorite song.

Some curves are not taken perfectly at all times (lol), but I am with you about the music.

btw, why is this thread in here? :)

Last edited:

MrTurner

Reaction score
Visit site
Would the standard db rating of c.95 not be measured at the tips of the exhaust, at maximum volume? I don't tend to put my naked ear to the cans while riding at full chat, so would think the db in your ears with lid on would be significantly less? Maybe 75? Plus wind noise?

Spike

Reaction score
Visit site
There have been a number of good articles published about loud noise levels and fatigue. I find that when I forget to wear earplugs my endurance and enjoyment are both reduced considerably.
I ride in the city and on freeways as little as possible. I want to live to ride another day.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some curves are not taken perfectly at all times (lol), but I am with you about the music.

btw, why is this thread in here? :)
Its the healthcare proffesional in me. I beleive in health promotion and feel that hearing is often only paid lip service. + if I actually get to meet some of you guys one day. It wold be nice to be able to hear you lol.

Nelly

catchm3fz

Reaction score
Visit site
I havnt used them yet but I still have stock exhaust so its not that loud. Only thing is the wind is what gets me. I have a ful helmet and the wind is still loud. I will probly start using my ipod if it starts to bug we that much.