Dunlop RoadSmart Tires??

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Just put the Roadsmarts on my bike front and rear. After the front tire locking up and sliding out instantly I didn't feel comfortable on the stock tires. Ive only had the tires for about 80 miles but they do feel smoother in cornering and seem to give good feedback. Hopefully they last a long time because I commute about 80 miles round trip every day. I'll post again once I get some hard cornering in.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Woot. I got my Roadsmart today and it feels loads better than the Battleax's even before running in. As I pulled out of the shop today I could feel the difference. It has a much better feel, so I took it for a scrubbing in spin through the twistys at very slowly increasing speeds. After 300km (man I'm tired now...lol.) it never stepped out once, and I have far more confidence in this tire than I did my Bridgestones. I will post again when I know how they wear.
Cheers
Mike

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright well i have over 1000 miles on them now! I actually think they are out of balance. At speeds over 80 they start to wobble somewhat. I don't think the shop ever balanced them. Anyways, I really like these tires, they ride nice. They seem to grip better in corners. They don't seem to fall into the corners as easily as the stock.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright well i have over 1000 miles on them now! I actually think they are out of balance. At speeds over 80 they start to wobble somewhat. I don't think the shop ever balanced them. Anyways, I really like these tires, they ride nice. They seem to grip better in corners. They don't seem to fall into the corners as easily as the stock.

they could have balanced them, however if they used the clip one weights that go in the center of the wheel they could have come off. They are the same as yamaha uses from the factory....

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
The guy I bought it from actually had the dealer down in Roseville put the sticky weights on the inside, and the funny thing is, I don't think they have moved, added, or taken off any weights. I like the tires, i just hope that they fix the balance problem.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
3000km update:thumbup:. No significant wear yet. No flat spot round the center of the tire and they stick pretty well for my riding:rockon:. Have managed to get all the way to the edge of the tire now and only had very slight stepping out on a couple of occasions. (no brown trouser moments:D). The only thing that was a touch disconcerting is that when you get them nice and warm you can see the hard compound as a lighter colour strip around the tire:eek:. Was a bit worried it might be going to fall apart on me but has done a lot of hard corners and some high speed trial since. I lost 10km/h top end from the hard OEM tires but I don't ride at those speeds often so it's no big deal. Fuel consumption has gone up but I can ride harder now so that will be playing a part:rockon:...lol. Has performed well in the wet and so far I have nothing to complain about:cheer:. Unfortunately I can't compare it to anything but the OEM's, but I'll probably try the Pilot Roads next and will be able to compare the two.
Cheers
Mike

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
3000km update:thumbup:. No significant wear yet. No flat spot round the center of the tire and they stick pretty well for my riding:rockon:. Have managed to get all the way to the edge of the tire now and only had very slight stepping out on a couple of occasions. (no brown trouser moments:D). The only thing that was a touch disconcerting is that when you get them nice and warm you can see the hard compound as a lighter colour strip around the tire:eek:. Was a bit worried it might be going to fall apart on me but has done a lot of hard corners and some high speed trial since. I lost 10km/h top end from the hard OEM tires but I don't ride at those speeds often so it's no big deal. Fuel consumption has gone up but I can ride harder now so that will be playing a part:rockon:...lol. Has performed well in the wet and so far I have nothing to complain about:cheer:. Unfortunately I can't compare it to anything but the OEM's, but I'll probably try the Pilot Roads next and will be able to compare the two.
Cheers
Mike

That's if you dont wear a whole in your seat first....i do about 500km's a week, but you put me to shame Mike....3000km's in 23 days! Love your work! Glad the tyres are working well for you...nothing worse than a tyre you have no confidence in!

:thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
all the dual compound tires are a step in the right direction if you ask me, most of the riding is done in the middle of the tire where the grip is not needed, so why not go harder there and make it soft where the grip is needed and the tires are not touched as much. wears more evenly and not as drastic of a flat spot.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
all the dual compound tires are a step in the right direction if you ask me, most of the riding is done in the middle of the tire where the grip is not needed, so why not go harder there and make it soft where the grip is needed and the tires are not touched as much. wears more evenly and not as drastic of a flat spot.

I have to agree with this, My Pilot Road 2ct's are a testimont to this, 9000km's on th rear, and it's showing no sign of squaring off, or feathering.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's if you dont wear a whole in your seat first....i do about 500km's a week, but you put me to shame Mike....3000km's in 23 days! Love your work! Glad the tyres are working well for you...nothing worse than a tyre you have no confidence in!

:thumbup:

I was feeling it today at work...lol. Feel like someone has inflated my hands:eek:...lol.
Was telling an ex-R6 rider about my Monday ride and got to the turn around and back up the gorge and he just stared at me open mouthed:eek:. You probably couldn't do it in that riding position:D...lol. Delamere to the gorge and back pretty much...lol.
Cheers
Mike

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update.....I now have the front on and pretty much scrubbed in. This tire was stickier in the wet during scrubbing in than the OEM tire was in the dry in its prime. I have around 6000 km on the rear now and it's looking good. Not looking worn and hangs on well.:thumbup:
Stat tuned...lol.:D
Cheers
Mike

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update....After 7000km the rear is pretty much at the wear marks in the middle:eek:.

I commute 350km per week and cover between 300 - 500km on the week end. The tire is worn round, ie. no flat spot in the middle but the wear marks are just about up in the middle. Very happy with the way they hang on but tire life is probably a bit short:(. After all it's a 3ct so it should be pretty hard in the center:confused:.

I don't do burnouts, I haven't locked the brake and I can count the number of modulating compression lockups on the fingers of 1 hand.

I've got a new front, so I'll get another rear, but after that I'm going to Pilot Power 2ct whether the front is worn out or not.:thumbup::thumbup:
Cheers
Mike

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
7-8k on Rear now and it's toast:spank:. I'm pretty close to getting through the top layer onto the next (softer) layer. Pretty short life for a 3ct:spank:. Going to get a Michelin instead next:thumbup:. Won't be getting one of these again:(.
Cheers
Mike

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update on the roadsmart front. 10,000km and counting. It's showing considerable wear now (no feathering though) but could last another 2000km.

Very happy with its performance. Has been good in all conditions and if the rears were as good I'd be happy to get another.

It does seem to have one interesting characteristic though. When it gets up to temp it gets noisy.:confused: You get on the bike cold and ride gently on cool roads it takes ages, but if you hit the hills and start moving the bike around it happens very quickly.

Cheers
Mike

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last report on the Roadsmart front.

Happy with the performance and life of this tire. It's all over now after 11,500km.
Hung on well. Sticky in the wet. Sticky in the dry. Good life span and performance throughout. Has worn on the edges with plenty of tread in the middle still. Good commuting tire and fun in the twisties. Touch noisy though.

Cheers
Mike