Ducati rider clicking down to shift up?

FZ6_Black

Reaction score
Visit site
Was driving behind a Ducati yesterday. I noticed that the rider would click down on the shifter to go up the gears and click up to downshift. Is that possible to mod? or do I need new glasses?

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe that is called gp shifting. And you should be able to mod you bike to do that, but I have no idea wear to buy the parts. Sorry.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Wearyeyed

Reaction score
Visit site
This might sound weird, but I have always been intuitively inclined to "go down" to shift up...maybe it's a "car-clutch-pedal-foot" thing.

I realize that up-to-go-up shifting is the norm for bikes, but I'd be cool with the other way.

Until then, I hope my muscle memory get the hang of it, cause a poorly-placed push down expecting a higher gear can cause a bit-o-pucker... :eek:

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Most (all?) racing bikes do this. I remember reading in one of the motorcycle magazines about a writer who was taking the race bike for some laps, forgot about the reversal of shifting, and blew the motor. That's the first time I had heard about this change of pattern.

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes its called gpshifting. It's a reverse shift pattern the purpose is for faster shifting as you can press down faster then pulling up. And yes you can buy kits

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
That is indeed called GP shifting. 1 up, 5 down (as opposed to the 1 down, 5 up of most street bikes). You can do it on the FZ6 using aftermarket rear sets, or, IIRC, you can do it with the stock rear sets (though I think you have to route the shift rod outside the frame).

If you look at where the shift rod connects to the engine (I might have my terminology wrong here, but I believe that's the crank and there's a rubber boot over it), there's an L bracket. If you loosen the retaining screw and slide that L bracket off, then flip it to the opposite position (if it's down stock, flip it up or the other way around), you'll have 1 up, 5 down. It takes some fiddling to get it set right, but it is possible.

I've known many riders that did this when they went to aftermarket rear sets and it definitely takes some getting used to. It's not something I've ever wanted to try, but if you had a track bike or SS, I can see it being useful. :thumbup:

dougk35

Reaction score
Visit site
Race bikes lean so far over while turning it is difficult to up shift while leaned if necessary. Can't get toe of boot under shifter. Thus down for up.

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
That is indeed called GP shifting. 1 up, 5 down (as opposed to the 1 down, 5 up of most street bikes). You can do it on the FZ6 using aftermarket rear sets, or, IIRC, you can do it with the stock rear sets (though I think you have to route the shift rod outside the frame).

If you look at where the shift rod connects to the engine (I might have my terminology wrong here, but I believe that's the crank and there's a rubber boot over it), there's an L bracket. If you loosen the retaining screw and slide that L bracket off, then flip it to the opposite position (if it's down stock, flip it up or the other way around), you'll have 1 up, 5 down. It takes some fiddling to get it set right, but it is possible.

this thread got me thinking this morning so i went out and disassembled my shifter and found that there is a cutout in the frame for the shift rod, you cant flip the bracket on the transmission because the lack of cutout for the rod.. as i wright this i wonder about bending the rod as it exits the frame to maybe overcome this? ill have to explore more!

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
this thread got me thinking this morning so i went out and disassembled my shifter and found that there is a cutout in the frame for the shift rod, you cant flip the bracket on the transmission because the lack of cutout for the rod.. as i wright this i wonder about bending the rod as it exits the frame to maybe overcome this? ill have to explore more!

just get a piece of all-thread from home depot and put a Z bend in it...should be strong enough to do the job...Hopefully I will get around to trying it next weekend:rolleyes:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just get a piece of all-thread from home depot and put a Z bend in it...should be strong enough to do the job...Hopefully I will get around to trying it next weekend:rolleyes:

For the purpose of a test - go for the cheap material. But it will fracture and let you down. General purpose all-thread is by far the poorest material choice once bent. I would do nothing more than a test drive.

As said above it has to go through the frame notch and usually a pivot is used to convert as bent rods fatigue. Think of a "Z" but the middle of the Z is a pivot point. Not to mention adjustment is pain as you can no longer spin the shaft.

look around - its rare to see a bent rod that doesn't fail. Bent or curved rods usually are only PULLED and almost never pushed. Be wise unless you like walking. . .

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
my new bike came with a set of harris racing rear sets with GP shift, if the weather is nice tomorrow i might try them out, though i don't think i have enough time to learn it beween now and wednesday

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
this is a REALLY EASY free mod on most supersport bikes it only requires repositioning the shift linkage 180 degrees from its normal position. it would require a little bit of work and money for this bike, for a "z-bar" as mentioned. heres a video that shows how easy it is on some bikes though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kbciXfgWt4]GP Shift set-up - YouTube[/ame]

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
this is a REALLY EASY free mod on most supersport bikes it only requires repositioning the shift linkage 180 degrees from its normal position. it would require a little bit of work and money for this bike, for a "z-bar" as mentioned. heres a video that shows how easy it is on some bikes though.

GP Shift set-up - YouTube

The Fizzer isn't so nice in that regard! Nice find.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I always wanted to throw on the rear-sets. It always made me nervous when I'm leaning in turns, if you must shift - putting your toe UNDER the shifter when leaning left. I feel like my foot is going to touch the ground on occasion.

I don't really ride too hard though most of the time, so its never an issue. But after a ride with my buddy behind me - afterwards he asked if I noticed my foot was an inch off the ground when banking through left turns. If you have the rear-sets installed, your toe will be above the shifter so you wouldn't have to worry about dragging a toe.

I've never done this as it isn't terribly practical for me because 95% of the time I don't ride hard - but I was always fascinated by it; it really is genius.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
well just as well, NOBODY sells metric m6-1.0 allthread :rolleyes:
ace, homedepot, autozone, lowes, local hardware store, I gave up after them....lol