Ducati Diavel or Something Else

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
So ... I'm getting old. I want a bike that's even more comfy than the FZ6, while not sacrificing power or handling. By this I mean lower seat height, more stretched out legs and higher bars. Is it possible? I'm only 5 foot 8 and my legs aren't massive. The stock seat height and high centre of gravity made the bike too hard to maneuver when pushing it around. I already have lowered my suspension, shaved my seat, added gel to the seat, got higher bars and added risers to the bars. Not much more I can do to make it more comfy for me (except maybe lower pegs, which I'm looking into). My bike has done 30k miles so it's getting on. I do mainly motorway (highway riding) so will need a decent screen. I refuse to get a cruiser with crap handling and power. If there was a cruiser with great acceleration and handling I'd love it!

The Ducati Diavel looks great, but is damn expensive! :( Does anyone know of anything else that is a better fit for me?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Test rode a Diavel last year and at the first turn I almost lost it - it went straight till I took control with brute force and made it turn. Once up to speed it was interesting but got tired of the exhaust seeming right in my ear and it was massive. It did have power and torque at low RPM though. Have you looked at the FZ09 and FZ07? The 09 has lots of power and the 07 is not too bad just not an FZ6.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Useful to hear about the test ride PhotAl. Thanks. I'm not looking to change the bike for more power. It's plenty powerful enough for me, I'm just looking for a lower seat and more comfort without sacrificing power/handling.

Looks like it may be worth test riding some cruisers. The Vulcan would be worth looking at - with the 900cc engine anyway. I rode the Kawasaki 650 years ago and it wasn't as powerful as the FZ6.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Given any thoughts on the Yamaha FZ1?
Same comfortable riding position as the FZ6 but with more power and less buzz.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Given any thoughts on the Yamaha FZ1?
Same comfortable riding position as the FZ6 but with more power and less buzz.
I rode the FZ1 a while ago and it was good. But I'm looking for lower seat and further back/higher bars mainly. I'm happy to get a bike with the same/slightly less power if it will be more comfortable for my commute.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
The Tracer is worth a test if you're going for new bike, otherswise I know riders around your height that own a Triumph Sprint and Kwack Z1000SX. They do a fair bit of motorway riding. also look at a VFR? Not my taste but a capable bike.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
The Tracer is worth a test if you're going for new bike, otherswise I know riders around your height that own a Triumph Sprint and Kwack Z1000SX. They do a fair bit of motorway riding. also look at a VFR? Not my taste but a capable bike.
Tracer has a higher seat than the FZ6 and the others are too much of a sporty riding position for me I'm afraid. Thanks for the suggestions though. Pity there aren't more cruiser options with sportbike handling options! :( This thread has some interesting ideas.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have to have lower seat height with more leg room and your looking for better than the average cruiser performance. The Indian Scout might be worth a thought. I saw one on the road for the first time yesterday and it was a great looking bike. They went with liquid cooling and 4 valves per cylinder which is a game changer with power band. Weight is good compared to other cruisers and over all I think it may lead the way for cruiser technology in the future. Because the bike is 558 lbs wet and uses better performance technology with wider engine bandwidth, it gives better power to weight ratio. It might fall into your target range

Other bikes to consider are BMW's R Nine T and the Moto Guzzi Griso.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Although I've never test ridden a Diavel, I do like their looks, especially when you turn it into a Strada, their touring edition bikes. However, being a Ducati, it's very expensive, and just replacing the rear tire will be too. It takes a 240!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet. Thanks. What about comfort/handling?

Compared to the Fazer it's a very different ride, no fairing so it's windy, it's longer and heavier so it's not as nimble. I didn't spend a lot of time with it but the roll on grunt at any speed was impressive, plus the one I rode had Akros so the sound was great!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Compared to the Fazer it's a very different ride, no fairing so it's windy, it's longer and heavier so it's not as nimble. I didn't spend a lot of time with it but the roll on grunt at any speed was impressive, plus the one I rode had Akros so the sound was great!
It sounds cool. I need to test ride it I think. First thing I would buy is a decent sized screen! :)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Diavel has more leg room than Fizzer??? That's not the impression I got when I sat on one (37" inseam here).
I finally went with a R1200 GS, but that has a much higher seat and wouldn't suit you. If you do decide to try lowered pegs on your FZ, PM me, I have a set that I never got around to installing.