Drivers test on a Can AM Spyder = WTF!?

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
So I am watching the Candians / Bruins game when a commercial comes on for the Can Am Spyder. I kind of pay attention but then at the end they say that you can now talke your motorcycle license test on a SPYDER! :rant:

I can't believe how that would qualify a newly licensed rider for an actual 2 wheeled bike as well. if it is true which I think it is than in my opinion it is a recipe for disaster.

Cripes!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I agree.

Should be a different class.

I have no problem in them taking a test on this as some people may have a disability and are unable to ride 2 wheels, but riding a Spyder V FZ6 around twisties, I would suggest they both handle COMPLETELY differently :shakehead:

marsh0787

Reaction score
Visit site
It was my understanding, at least here in NY, that if you take your test on a 3 wheeled vehicle that you may only drive a 3 wheeled vehicle. Two wheels for the test and you are fine... May be wrong though.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
The thrust of the ad was you could take your test on a Spyder and be driving right away (on a Spyder), I don't think it gives you a motorcycle classification on your license. I always tell my wife that if I can't handle a two wheeled machine any longer I will hang the gloves/boots/helmet up, I'm not about to go to a, shudder, trike. That is so wrong, imo. The sad thing is you are seeing younger, less fit, people riding these trikes now days. Like they are too lazy to learn to ride a two wheeled machine. Just my opinion, folks, just my opinion.

I just checked the Can-Am site and in some states you CAN take the m/c test and get a m/c endorsement driving the Can-Am. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
simple.
first you get your training wheels.
then you take them off and get a real bike.:rolleyes:

lol. just foolin'. i have nothing against trikes...:D

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The day I can't hold up a motorcycle anymore I am totally getting a T-Rex:rockon:

T-rex-deals-gap-dragon-2007.jpg

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
It was my understanding, at least here in NY, that if you take your test on a 3 wheeled vehicle that you may only drive a 3 wheeled vehicle. Two wheels for the test and you are fine... May be wrong though.

That's the way I interpreted it. I think the test is much like the one you'd take on a bike, but you will not earn a motorcycle endorsement though I'm not aware of a, "trike" endorsement here in Michigan.

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
The full explanation is on transport canada's website, but the short verison is you get the full M licence BUT is has the restriction of only being allowed on a 3 wheeler, so no 2 wheels for those guys.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The day I can't hold up a motorcycle anymore I am totally getting a T-Rex:rockon:

T-rex-deals-gap-dragon-2007.jpg
Whats a Spyder?
If your looking for a classy 3 wheeler? Then look no further. You can drive one of these on a UK license as long as reverse gear is immobilized.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
You can ride any trike or quad in the uk on a car licence, one if the reasons you don't need to wear a helmet

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
Whats a Spyder?
If your looking for a classy 3 wheeler? Then look no further. You can drive one of these on a UK license as long as reverse gear is immobilized.

Soooo. Why does the reverse gear need to be disabled?