Demo ride reviews ( Ninja 1000, Super Tenere, Can-Am Spyder )

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Was hoping to also try new FJR, but by 9:30 they were all booked for the day! Yamaha booth seemed to be the busiest in general (though I never checked Harley.. maybe that was extra nuts).

Ninja 1000:

Wow.. I've never felt so immediately *at home* on any bike besides my own! I guess this is because it's definitely in the same category as my FZ1 and as such it feels incredibly similar. Gearing is about the same (very tall). Clutch has excellent, easy-to-modulate friction zone.. although it IS heavier than FZ1 clutch.. something that may become a bit of a pain in long stop-n-go traffic.

It seems to be a bit smoother at idle, but this could be due to my FZ1 being overdue for throttle sync. Fuel map seems to be smoother in general.. throttle tip in is smoother. Transmission is very smooth. Handling and weight feels very similar and comparable to FZ1. Seating position and reach are also very similar.

I may be imagining things, but FZ1 seems to pull a little harder from 3k rpm.. maybe that's due to Ninja's smoother power delivery.

I have to admit that it would be an incredibly tough choice between the two if I was in the market right now.. and both could be had for the same price.

The 2 Ninja items that stand out (something that cannot be had on FZ1): ABS brakes and 3-position adjustable wind screen.

Super Tenere:

This one is interesting. I've never ridden an adventure bike before, so I don't really have anything to directly compare to. It's very upright and comfortable. Suspension soaks everything up and almost feels couch-like (this is probably adjustable?)

Loads of low-end torque, but over all it feels rather slow after FZ1 (or Ninja 1000). There was one thing I rather disliked (and it could very well be an issue with the specific bike I demo'ed).. when blipping throttle from idle, there was a very noticeable lag.. almost like it was momentarily stalling. I tried both touring and sport modes.. it acted the same in both. I like to blip the throttle when I downshift and this lag made it hard to make the downshifts smooth (very likely something I would get used to after a few rides).

I would be happy to own this bike, but only as a 2nd in addition to FZ1/Ninja 1000 :D

Can-Am Spyder:

You have to test-ride this thing... it's a laugh! Definitely feels a lot like a snowmobile. Possibly the scariest cornering of any vehicle I've ever ridden / driven, if you push it a bit :rof:

You feel the inside wheel start to lift off and your body wants to fly off to the outside (think hard cornering in a car with no seatbelt and no doors!)

I tested the one with semi-automatic transmission and it's kind of like playing a video game. It's cute.

It's anything, but fast.. FZ6 is quite a bit faster.

It is surprisingly maneuverable for such a large machine. Very smooth and makes really good noise (60 degree V-twin).

If I'm ever at a point where I can no longer operate a 2-wheeler, but can still drive, I'm getting a Spyder!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I only sat on the ninja in the dealership, but it confirms exactly what you described...it would be a tough choice between it and the fz1.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the Kawi have a centerstand? Wouldn't you miss not having one?

Nope, no center stand. The catalytic converter sits where center stand would normally be. I would definitely miss it. The swingarm doesn't have threaded holes for stand spools either. Ironically, FZ1 comes with center stand AND has threaded holes for spools.

They do make Ninja 1000 spools, but they're the kind that mount to rear axle.. fine for cleaning / lubing chain, but useless for rear wheel removal.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one on the center stand. What I hate the most on my CBR is the lack of a center stand and there is no way to put one on it. Has threads for spools on the swingarm but the front is a different matter. Will eventually have to get a front stand so can take the front wheel off. Nothing like not having something to make you know how much you miss it.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Great reviews Eric, I'm kind off glad you liked the Ninja 1k... It's going to be a hard decision for me between that and the FZ1 when I eventually decide to upgrade.. the Ninja 1k is the only "ninja" i've ever liked looks wise, and it's more upright like the FZ1 instead of supersport mode like the zx series.

Super Ten is kind of on the back burner... I'd have to look long and hard at ADV bikes before I chose, and that's a ways off.

Thanks for the reviews, hope you're enjoying yourself :rockon:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reviews Eric, its great to hear how the other bikes stack up :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing. Really sad that Yamaha still doesn't have ABS on the US Fazer lineup.

I can't believe this, when I bought my FZ6 in 2007 the ABS was standard. I really think the US market is driven by price that manufacturers are too scared to price themselves out of the market.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
i nearly went for a super tenere ... nice machine ..pends ofcourse what you want it for ...
I have the Honda Varedero 1000 ... similar ... i like it because its tall and however much i liked my FZS it`s better for me :rolleyes:

You say you would have one alongside your fazer ... i agree ...unfortuantly £££ say nope :spank:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update regarding Ninja 1000 stand setup. I gave it a close look today and it DOES have threaded holes for spools! (they're situated about 4" forward of the rear axle). So using a rear stand would be easy and secure.
Lifting the front.. I would use the same approach I use now on the bike with center stand: jack under header!
So.. really not all that big of a deal.. just slightly less convenient (particularly if for some reason you need to get real wheel off the ground and you're nowhere near your garage).

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Super Tenere:
There was one thing I rather disliked (and it could very well be an issue with the specific bike I demo'ed).. when blipping throttle from idle, there was a very noticeable lag.. almost like it was momentarily stalling. I tried both touring and sport modes.. it acted the same in both. I like to blip the throttle when I downshift and this lag made it hard to make the downshifts smooth (very likely something I would get used to after a few rides).

I'm curious if this was just the demo bike having an issue or a matter of the throttle design on all bikes of this model. Does the bike have throttle by wire or a cable actuator?

Maybe CaliRider can chyme in since he just bought one of these. I can't imagine him buying a bike with a delayed throttle tip-in with how fast he rides.

Great review otherwise!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm curious if this was just the demo bike having an issue or a matter of the throttle design on all bikes of this model. Does the bike have throttle by wire or a cable actuator?

Maybe CaliRider can chyme in since he just bought one of these. I can't imagine him buying a bike with a delayed throttle tip-in with how fast he rides.

Great review otherwise!

Just to clarify: normal throttle tip-in was very smooth (as in.. no throttle at all to smoothly rolling on). I only felt the weird hesitation when aggressively blipping it from fully-closed to ~4k rpm.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reviews Eric, its great to hear how the other bikes stack up :thumbup:

I can't believe this, when I bought my FZ6 in 2007 the ABS was standard. I really think the US market is driven by price that manufacturers are too scared to price themselves out of the market.

I dont see the need for it. ive ridden lots of bikes and never felt that any of them would have been any better with ABS. the 2 that i have ridden with ABS were a VFR800 Interceptor and a BMW R1150R Rockster. I dont like honda's linked system at all and would prefer the non ABS model (ridden that too) and BMWs brake system is incredible and on a dry day i couldnt get the ABS to come on (My dad has the same bike without abs, i would be able to tell the difference)

If you ride, you should be able to stop your bike, ABS or not. the only time i thnk ABS would be appropriate is on an ADV bike when you're off road.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont see the need for it. ive ridden lots of bikes and never felt that any of them would have been any better with ABS. the 2 that i have ridden with ABS were a VFR800 Interceptor and a BMW R1150R Rockster. I dont like honda's linked system at all and would prefer the non ABS model (ridden that too) and BMWs brake system is incredible and on a dry day i couldnt get the ABS to come on (My dad has the same bike without abs, i would be able to tell the difference)

If you ride, you should be able to stop your bike, ABS or not. the only time i thnk ABS would be appropriate is on an ADV bike when you're off road.

Totally agree with you (I would rather not have ABS.. doesn't mean no one should.. I just would rather not), BUT.. must disagree about one thing. You actually do not want ABS off road. You want to be able to lock up the rear wheel and use that to turn. Not kidding.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Totally agree with you (I would rather not have ABS.. doesn't mean no one should.. I just would rather not), BUT.. must disagree about one thing. You actually do not want ABS off road. You want to be able to lock up the rear wheel and use that to turn. Not kidding.

Completely agree with both of you, I grew up on dirtbikes and learned to control a locked up rear wheel, for, like Eric said, turning... On a road bike I feel more at home knowing I know how to control a lockup and safely come to a stop.

Not knocking ABS, i'm sure some people love it, but to each their own... Plus I've been known to take my Versys offroad a bit :sinister:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to clarify: normal throttle tip-in was very smooth (as in.. no throttle at all to smoothly rolling on). I only felt the weird hesitation when aggressively blipping it from fully-closed to ~4k rpm.

Wonder if that's a clutch switch issue. Do some TRE (Timing Retard Eliminator) research, I remember reading some bikes monitor the clutch and change the timing so it might be timing retardation with clutch in. Blipping would be throttle on a retard but roll on with clutch out would be normal? Maybe it was just the bike.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site

I agree, except for ABS while off-roading. That would be terrible! If my WR250R had ABS, that would've been the first thing to go on that moto. lol My preference is no ABS on anything, I hate it almost as much as under-steer on cars.

Nice reviews! On the Spyder, how does it react when pushed? Does it just under-steer? I've always wondered about that.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice reviews! On the Spyder, how does it react when pushed? Does it just under-steer? I've always wondered about that.

Nope, it has *sophisticated* electronics which will kick in before you can really make it slide (or so we were told.. couldn't really be too stupid on demo ride).