Spyder Test Ride – Olympics

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
On July 20th 2008, there were invitations sent out from a motorcycle company in Bowness, Calgary. Certain riders were eligible to test-ride the newest CAN AM prototype vehicle: The Spyder.

CAN-AM SPYDER 2008
attachment.php

One guarantee; this 3-wheeled vehicle is revolutionary. There was a massive truck that drove up to BowCycle of Calgary, after making plans with police to close-off the street, where the Spyders were released. Pylons were marked on the ground, tents became setup and even TV’s were broadcasting the whole event. The Spyder definitely knows how to make a first appearance.

EVENT TRUCK (SIDE)
attachment.php

EVENT TRUCK (BACK)
FZ6 2006 & ZX-14 2008 FAR DISTANCE
attachment.php

It was an incredible event. There were free posters, t-shirts, food and energy drinks for everyone. All invited riders were eligible for a free road-demo on the newest prototype models. Since the Iridium Terrorist had purchased a YZF-R6 2006 from BowCycle during the ’06 fallout, he was given an invitation toward the Spyder event. Things became more exhilarating when Raid The Revenge showed up as well. Actually, things just went all to hell.

RAID THE REVENGE
attachment.php

IRIDIUM TERRORIST - Calculates the Road Ahead
attachment.php

SPYDER SPECS
attachment.php

/HEART/
BRP-ROTAX ENGINE 1000cc
A profound and successful V-Twin engine empowers the Spyder.

RAID liked the engine. There is a perfect balance of power, handling and fuel consumption.

IT wasn't satisfied with the engine. There just wasn't enough power in his opinion. There are perhaps biased opinions in this regard; you'll see why later...

/MUSCLE/
There is a carbon reinforced drive-belt on every design.
You can choose to utilize a manual motorcycle-styled clutch or push-button semi-automatic transmission.

RAID uses a SUPER-TIGHT clutch-grip on his FZ6. Even with his grip strength, the manual transmission of the Spyder was very hard on his left palm. You require potential upper body strength to pilot a Spyder, because even the turning requires power. Do note: turning on a Spyder is quite entertaining!! There is no countersteering...

IT agrees the transmission should be either semi-auto with electric push-button activation, or manually adjusted to be loose. There would be more sophisticated parts required for the semi-auto choice...

There is a reverse gear on all models. It works very well, but the rider will need to adapt at first.

/SKELETON/
You can choose between Black, Yellow, Red or Silver. There are OEM exhausts, windscreens and cowls available as upgrades. A set of GIVI hard cases will fit on the Spyder and they look great. NOTE: The front of the Spyder is actually a chest that can be filled with articles as well.

AT FIRST GLANCE
All riders were expected to have a motorcycle license and complete a pylon course to qualify for the test-ride. It wasn’t very difficult, but you’ll notice the Spyder is no motorcycle or car; it is a brand new vehicle. It resembles a snowmobile or watercraft on wheels. It has a low profile to the ground, comes equipped with high-demand technology and serves a unique individual.

Raid Wants To Drag

attachment.php

attachment.php

TENT - Manager of BowCycle - Nice Lady

attachment.php

attachment.php

INTERESTS/FLAWS

There is a market for the Spyder. If you own a snowmobile or watercraft, you might want to check it out. Certain individuals who want attention will get it on a Spyder; just ask Raid. Then again, that could be biased as well...you'll need to decide.

There are a few minor flaws on the Spyder, besides whatever was mentioned above. A few issues to realize:

-Radiator blows hot-air on the right foot. Check the pictures and see. Although it's not a major problem, you'll know if your engine overheats!!
-$20,000 for each Spyder. NOTE: The owner's promise the price will drop soon, especially if more units are sold.
-The Spyder takes 20 minutes to fill with fuel, because everyone will crowd you whenever they can! You'll never stop talking about the Spyder; nobody will. Being a celebrity is not easy...
-The accessability of parking is the equivalent of a car. You'll forsake some of your parking advantages with a motorcycle.
-Maintenance will be difficult. The engine is hard to access and the technology is profound. If you plan to service this Spyder yourself, you'd better know your stuff!!

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
At Least The Girls Like It
attachment.php

After the event, the Iridium Terrorist and Raid The Revenge went for a special ride. For some strange reason, there was a yellow Lamborghini Gallarado and a yellow Enzo Ferrari following them. Nobody knows why. Perhaps it was a special intake from ZR Auto Sales? Following the riders all the way to Bragg Creek? Cool!!

Calgary ZR Auto
'+title+'

RAID AT CANADA OLYMPIC PARK
attachment.php

RAID IS 1ST
attachment.php

IRIDIUM TERRORIST - 2008 ZX-14
attachment.php

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
nice write up, my curiosity about these things has been nagging me to test on at some point, hopefully they will come around here sometime.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics and the write up, looks like a nice machine and fun to ride.

But personally I can't see it appealing to the general motorbike rider, or in any case to the general commuter like myself, who uses spliting to make his way through traffic.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
BowCycle will always have one Spyder available for demo riding. They'll even let you take it on the highway!! I'll have to get those boys to drive me some time...

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics and the write up, looks like a nice machine and fun to ride.

But personally I can't see it appealing to the general motorbike rider, or in any case to the general commuter like myself, who uses spliting to make his way through traffic.

That's one problem with the Spyder; it won't fulfill the necessities of either a car or motorcycle...but at the same time, it will give you something completely different!!

B

bluenova

Seems more like a 3 wheeled quad more than anything.

I see a lot of people round here in Brussels on 3 wheeled scooters like the Piaggio MP3, but they are just a bit too wide to filter through traffic so I really don't see the point myself.