Drilling bar ends?

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to get some Tusk mitts for this winter but want to attach them to the barends. How hard would it be to drill and tap the bar ends for a small bolt? As long as I stay around 5mm it shouldn't cause it to split or anything would it?

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Aren't the bar ends steel? They shouldn't split but they will take a while to drill into, not to mention sharp drill bits.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure what size of fastener is required or what angle it needs to project, but one option if its a SMALL FASTENER, is to drill into the core through the Allen Socket opening and use a bottoming tap (don't have to drill as deep).
You'll need a longer bolt but in the summer months it would look stock with no extra holes.

Just a thought...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A 5 mm hole drilled all the way thru won't hurt anything (but loose a little effectiveness of the weights as its now slightly lighter).

You can then tap as deep as you want to your hearts delight. The bar ends aren't stainless steel, a good drill bit shouldn't have a problem.

If you access to a small lathe would work great, if not a drill press would give you a pretty straight hole.

Using the same drill press also would give to a good start with the tap so its straight. I put the tap in the drill press, the bar end on the flat working platform and manually turn the drill chuck with a 1/4" (at least on mine) to get it started dead on straight. Finish tapping by hand after clamping in a vise with 2 aluminum "guards" and a rag to keep from tearing up the bar ends.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha FZR YZF XJ 600 600R FZ6 FZ1 Chrome Bar Ends | eBay

How about something like these? Shouldn't be hard to drill then when it warms up I still have my stock ends.

I think the chrome would look odd as there's not much chrome(if any) on the bike.

Picking up a used set of bar ends here shouldn't be hard to find with all the bikes being parts out. BTW, semi-gloss black (Rustoleum) is a dead on match for the stockers...

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I had this done by a machinist at my work for that exact same purpose. I had them drilled in the center of the allen head socket. See this post http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/showpost.php?p=516963&postcount=63

I ended up having problems with the mitts hitting the levers and the top of my hands at highway speeds. So what I did this past fall was install Powermadd Star handguards, then put the Tusk mitts over them.

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the info!! I'll pick up a second set of ends and drill those, get a pair of handguards and I'll be ready! Thanks again!!
Sherry

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up some aluminum bar ends a while back. I needed a few bucks to clear the 'free' shipping bar. I think they ran me 8 bucks or so. Blue, of course. I LIKE the bars to vibrate. I enjoy the tingle. I'll never make it as a motojournalist.
Anyway, you need to figure out what size you need. I ordered large. I never put them on because the stock ones are so tight I was scared of stripping them when taking them out. I shot some CLP in there this weekend. I am going on a 500 mile ride next weekend (I hope!) and will pull the front end down to adjust my stem bearing. So while in there mucking about I will have another shot at teasing the bolt out of the bar end.
I say this because bar ends HAVE a hole already there. So I'm confused. Not unusual but to be corrected when possible.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I say this because bar ends HAVE a hole already there. So I'm confused.

Yep, its like a second, smaller allan head hole but doesn't go thru all the way nor is it threaded.

A nice snug allan key in that bar end (regular thread) and a whack on the tool with a rubber mallet or my fav, a short piece of 2x4 should loosen it up..

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, its like a second, smaller allan head hole but doesn't go thru all the way nor is it threaded.

A nice snug allan key in that bar end (regular thread) and a whack on the tool with a rubber mallet or my fav, a short piece of 2x4 should loosen it up..

I have a masters in stripping threads. I also have an impact driver, It feels funny. I put a little grunt on it and it feels like it's sliding then it stops. Not turning, sliding/spinning. It would not surprise me to finally get it out and find a strpped screw.bolt with a ton of loc-tite holding everything together. CLP will do in the Loc-tite. So if I can't finness it, I will look around for some heli-coils that will work.
Standard bar end compression fitting inside right? Yamaha occasionally has bouts of faux cleverness and does something so off the wall that it makes one wonder.:Flash:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a masters in stripping threads. I also have an impact driver, It feels funny. I put a little grunt on it and it feels like it's sliding then it stops. Not turning, sliding/spinning. It would not surprise me to finally get it out and find a strpped screw.bolt with a ton of loc-tite holding everything together. CLP will do in the Loc-tite. So if I can't finness it, I will look around for some heli-coils that will work.
Standard bar end compression fitting inside right? Yamaha occasionally has bouts of faux cleverness and does something so off the wall that it makes one wonder.:Flash:

The inside end of the bar end is deceiving.

Deeper in the hole appears to be an allan head recess.

Your NOT going to use that.

The outer allan head, an 8mm key is what you need. If your using ANY key smaller than an 8mm, it won't work/grab. I suspect that's whats happening on your end. (I tried the smaller key, un-successfully, as well, before I figured it out).

Worse case scenerio, grab the outer bar end with a vise grip/channel lock and un-screw.

The threaded end is pretty large, fine thread. I seriously doubt you can strip it. I don't recall seeing locktite on the threads when I pulled mine off(might have been but wasn't an issue). Their NOT tappered like a pipe thread, regular threads and it just bottoms out...

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
The inside end of the bar end is deceiving.

Deeper in the hole appears to be an allan head recess.

Your NOT going to use that.

The outer allan head, an 8mm key is what you need. If your using ANY key smaller than an 8mm, it won't work/grab. I suspect that's whats happening on your end. (I tried the smaller key, un-successfully, as well, before I figured it out).

Worse case scenerio, grab the outer bar end with a vise grip/channel lock and un-screw.

The threaded end is pretty large, fine thread. I seriously doubt you can strip it. I don't recall seeing locktite on the threads when I pulled mine off(might have been but wasn't an issue). Their NOT tappered like a pipe thread, regular threads and it just bottoms out...

Ah-yup, that's what I was doing. My new bar ends have a small allen head bolt, so I figured I wanted the interior bolt. Thanks bunches. You have saved me a ton of grief.:rockon:

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe a little anti seize when you put the new ones in. From what I've read the bolt on the bar end is aluminum as well as the inside thread on the handlebar. I thought I used a 6mm on my end to get it off? I'll have to check that

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe a little anti seize when you put the new ones in. From what I've read the bolt on the bar end is aluminum as well as the inside thread on the handlebar. I thought I used a 6mm on my end to get it off? I'll have to check that

The threaded end in the bar should be the same material as the bar itself. My stock bar is steel (so the inner threads should be steel)..

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site

They did not fit. Not even close. So they went into my wasted time and money box.
I have had a bout of no-fititis lately. Fork Springs, Stem Bearings, now the bar ends. I should have my 200 miles on by tomorrow and then I
will adjust the stem bearing for hopefully the last time. I will not do any mods til next spring. I plan on doing nothing but riding and maintence for the next 6 months at least. I would like to ride more this winter. I'll get a new Vanson. Mine is 30+ years old and rough looking from several asphalt surfing moments. Ugly as homemade sin but every scuff mark means something to me. :cheer:

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Found these on ebay. Bought them thinking I would drill but no need. [emoji3] Just thought I would post a pic of them.
d62a535979d45fa10d3217f9228a55ce.jpg