"Dragging" when in gear, clutch pulled

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only ever owned this bike ('09 FZ6, bought new now has 8k+ miles on it) so I hadn't really thought about it before...but one of my buddies moved my bike the other day and commented on the fact that it "drags" when it's in gear with the clutch pulled as opposed to smoothly rolling when in neutral. Is this normal or do I have an issue with my clutch adjustment? As far as I recall it's always done this...

Again, I don't really have much to compare this to since any riding on other people's bikes I've done in recent memory hasn't involved a "push it across the garage" competition

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of views but no responses - am I not describing what I'm experiencing well? Before I'm even worried about an explanation I want to know if it's anything different than every other FZ6 on this board! (heck, even different from any other motorcycle would be nice to know!)

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine is the same way. Noticed it a while back when getting the bike turned around in my narrow garage -- easier to push when in neutral than in gear with clutch in. Dunno -- maybe there is always a little friction with the wet clutch?

Last edited:

lghtmgr

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 05, purchased with 12k now have 22k and has always felt to be dragging when engine is off in gear and clutch pulled. I Don't recall any of the previous other bikes I have owned or ridden feel like this. I chalked it up to the wet clutch and one or more of the clutch plates being suctioned to the friction plates due to film of oil.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
Mines about the same way also. Easier in neutral than in gear with clutch pulled. I figure it's normal and never really gave it much though. Now if you can push the bike in gear with the clutch out that's a different problem.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
put it on the centerstand with the clutch in in 1st gear...the rear tire spins ~7mph...yes with 10+disks in the clutch of a motorcycle there is bound to be drag. and yes its GOOD, it means ur clutch holds lol