Double Yellows

Do you pass when there is a double yellow line?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
It really depends on the road and how fast they are going. If it's a long stretch of backroad with very low traffic I might. If it's in the city or a shorter stretch I'll just back off and be patient.

B

bluenova

Well I'm from the UK originally and I would have never over taken on a solid line, because they are pretty good over there with when it's safe to overtake and when it isn't, same goes for speed limits. Here in Belgium you can have a clear strech of road where you can see for miles but have a 70 km/h speed limit with a solid line down the middle or you can have a blind bend with a dashed line in the middle. So in Belgium I use my own judgement as to how fast I can go and whether it's safe to overtake because the road signs mean jack.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been passed in my cage on both double-yellows and center turn lanes, but I won't do it myself. I pretend I have some respect for the law left in me. The thing I love about the FZ is that I can wait until I have a passing lane and blast past five or six cars all at once. The acceleration is amazing.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have done it on group rides, but that is usually after a passing zone ends and we are going around the corner with the leaders signaling that it is still safe. Just to keep the group together and all. but typically i do not.

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with damnpoor on this. I try not to break the law. There's usually a good reason for the double yellow and it would very difficult to argue your way out of the ticket, GRUMPY

MisterX

TopEnd.tv Guy
Reaction score
www.TopEnd.tv
For the most part, I will generally try to wait until come up on a passing zone before I go around. The only time that I have passed on a double line was when I was stuck behind a farming truck that was doing 25Mph in a 45Mph and ensured that there were no oncoming vehicles.

X

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the situation, I mostly stick with the road rules but if I need to I have (safety) issues of course.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, take US50, a highway between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento. There are many, many long stretches of double yellow and there are several passing lane sections. I don't pass on double yellows for three reasons (ir order of improtance): 1) this might set a very bad example for other motorists and who may be not be as capable and subsequently risk their/other's (including motorcylists!) lives in trying it 2) highway engineers have included several turnouts and passing lane sections and; 3) I can see why engineers double yellowed sections and when I see other motorists who disobey them in a reckless manner it really turns me off, so much that I don't want to be associated with the practice....even though it might be safe.

W

wrightme43

Rarely. There are spots on roads I know very very well, that I can see thru several curves because of elevation changes, and I know its clear. Normally I just back off and the catch up, back off and catch up till I get a passing lane.

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Usually not, but occasionally when I'm riding with my hooligan friends I do otherwise the group would be all over the place. Sometime if I get caught behind an obnoxiously slow cage I will also. I never cross the double yellows in a turn or hill where there might be any chance of an oncoming car, doesnt make it right and if I get pulled over I'll just have to take the ticket, can't really argue that. Usually I'm on the backroads so LEOs arent as common.

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
The best thing to do is pass on double yellow with a semi coming the other way, just squeeze right between them!
:rof:

i wouldn't think twice about it...

EDIT: they make passing lanes to be safe for cars to pass...
theres probably at least 5 safe places for a bike to pass between passing zones.

Last edited:

crx81

Reaction score
Visit site
I've maybe done it twice in my whole riding history out of the hundreds of opportunities where I could have or wanted to but didn't.

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
I don’t but then again I’m never in a hurry to begin with. In fact I’m the one that’s usually being passed.:Flash:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
95% of the time I won't. But if I know the road very well, it has good visibility, and the vehicle I'm passing is driving under the limit I'll carefully pass. Never in a turn, ever. Way too risky.