Does the FZ6 have enough power?

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site
well i ride dirtbikes too, so im sure u can relate to this. its powerband is more similar to a 125 then a 250, except that it doesnt bog when out of the band like a 125, it just doesnt pull like it does in the high revs. i never have problems going up hills, even with a passenger. yes there is more shifting involved then with say a harley, but not as much as ud think

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're confusing me man... I am not sure what you're comparing to what anymore, but anyway, it does not matter.

The point I was trying to make was that 2 stroke motorcross machines typically have a lot of torque down low, where it's needed on the dirt... open the throttle and the thing goes (kind of like an ON/OFF eletric motor), so if you compare that to an FZ6, it's about as opposite as you can make it... the FZ6 has nothing down low and starts to be fun over 8k rpm... the motocross will have all the fun down low and who cares about the top end. That was my point.

If the OP wants a bike that will have usable power "everywhere" the FZ6 is not a bike for him imo, and he should be looking at 1000cc I4s or v-twins...

I have to throw the BS flag.
Have you ever ridden a 2-stroke mx bike? On a mx track?

I've ridden both a 2-stroke mx bike and a 4-stroke mx bike on a professional circuit MX track, known as Redbud.

I think you're confusing a 2-stroke mx bike with a 4-stroke trail bike. Trails = slow, need torque. MX = fast, need hp.

2-stroke mx bikes typically have a high hp/tq ratio, similarly to the FZ6. When you ride a 2 stroke mx bike on an mx track your wring it's neck, keeping rpm's high so you're in the power. The tracks are fast and long. Now a 250 does a lot better than a 125, but still it isn't a tq monster.

On a fast MX track, hp is more important, so the power to weight of a 2 stroke was superior with the limited 4-stroke technology of the 80's and early 90's they used when motocross started getting a lot bigger. When you ride on trails, you're going much slower, and this is why trail bikes were typically 4-stroke even a long time ago, because slower speed and torque are more important than weight for that type of riding.

With the recent advancement of technology, they began producing light enough weight 4-stroke mx bikes that could actually compete with the 2-strokes as far as hp/weight goes. And, obviously, due to the way a 4-stroke works, the bikes could now have more torque in a VERY LINEAR FASHION, giving riders the best of both worlds. High HP and strong LINEAR tq curves great for any type of riding.

2-stroke MX racing you feather the clutch to get out of that berm. That's why mx bikes would go through clutches so fast. You don't need to do that nearly as much now with the thumpers, and you're faster out of the turns.

So I guess what I am saying is that single cylinder 2 stroke mx bikes, 250cc or less (what MX consisted of), are peaky. They are not torque monsters down low.

Stock YZ250 has about 46hp and 29lb-ft. Weight is 212lbs for 4.6lbs/hp.
FZ6 is 98hp with 459lbs wet for 4.68lbs/hp. (All #'s Give or take depending on @ crank and if the yz is wet.)

Also, from wikipedia, describing (much better) and supporting what I was saying about 4-stroke tech:
For many years, the motocross world almost exclusively used two stroke engines. AMA racing classes had two classes: 125 cc and 250 cc two strokes, with no provision for four strokes. Most riders considered four stroke engine technology to be antiquated and uncompetitive. [4] Additionally, most four strokes produced very little power (the 1996 Honda XR400 made 32 bhp (24 kW), compared to the 40 bhp (30 kW) produced by most 250 two strokes of the time).

In 1996, the AMA changed racing rules to allow 450 cc four strokes to compete in the same racing class as 250 cc two strokes. [5] Yamaha engineer Yoshiharu Nakayama first came up with the idea of creating the first competitive four stroke race motocross bike. [6] The Yamaha YZ400F was developed to fit into this category. It solved the power dilemma by borrowing superbike technology and giving the YZ a five valve head, liquid cooling and a 12.5-1 compression ratio.

In 1997, Yamaha rocked the motocross world with the introduction of the YZ400M prototype, a concept motorcycle which borrowed much technology from road racing. The YZM was far ahead of all competition among four stroke motocross bikes. Doug Henry piloted the YZ400M to its first victory in 1997 at the Las Vegas Supercross. This was the first time any four stroke had won an AMA event. [7] The YZ400M was the predecessor of the production YZ400F, which was released the next year.

And finally an interesting bit of information:
For 2003, the YZF received the biggest update in its history. First, the engine displacement was increased to 449 cc, producing over 52 horsepower, in compliance to the new AMA Motocross maximum displacement rule. Next, the frame and plastic were all updated for a new, sleeker look. Additionally, the YZ's weight was engineered from its original 250 pounds down to 233 pounds. The new YZF also had a gearing change, going from a traditional 5-speed to a 4-speed transmission. The new YZ was much easier to start as well. [12] The bike made tremendous power; however, many thought that the bike had too much power for a motocross track.

The YZ450F received a major update in 2006, with over 300 parts changed and improved. The power was smoothed out, and the bike was made easier to ride, putting to rest the complaint that the YZ had too much power. The four speed transmission was replaced with a five speed. An all new aluminum single backbone frame shaved another 10 pounds off the weight.

FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the FZ6 for more than a year. It good and no complaint at all.
I work well for me.:thumbup:

mib7289

Reaction score
Visit site
i have beat older r6's up to about 75mph, by older i mean i have a 08 FZ6 and raced my buddies 04 R6. Usually with the FZ6 you can take the R6 from two to three years prior and have a very similiar engine and power.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site

I've ridden both a 2-stroke mx bike and a 4-stroke mx bike on a professional circuit MX track, known as Redbud.

I think you're confusing a 2-stroke mx bike with a 4-stroke trail bike. Trails = slow, need torque. MX = fast, need hp.

2-stroke mx bikes typically have a high hp/tq ratio, similarly to the FZ6. When you ride a 2 stroke mx bike on an mx track your wring it's neck, keeping rpm's high so you're in the power. The tracks are fast and long. Now a 250 does a lot better than a 125, but still it isn't a tq monster.

On a fast MX track, hp is more important, so the power to weight of a 2 stroke was superior with the limited 4-stroke technology of the 80's and early 90's they used when motocross started getting a lot bigger. When you ride on trails, you're going much slower, and this is why trail bikes were typically 4-stroke even a long time ago, because slower speed and torque are more important than weight for that type of riding.

With the recent advancement of technology, they began producing light enough weight 4-stroke mx bikes that could actually compete with the 2-strokes as far as hp/weight goes. And, obviously, due to the way a 4-stroke works, the bikes could now have more torque in a VERY LINEAR FASHION, giving riders the best of both worlds. High HP and strong LINEAR tq curves great for any type of riding.

2-stroke MX racing you feather the clutch to get out of that berm. That's why mx bikes would go through clutches so fast. You don't need to do that nearly as much now with the thumpers, and you're faster out of the turns.

So I guess what I am saying is that single cylinder 2 stroke mx bikes, 250cc or less (what MX consisted of), are peaky. They are not torque monsters down low.

FZ6 is 98hp with 459lbs wet for 4.68lbs/hp. (All #'s Give or take depending on @ crank and if the yz is wet.)

Also, from wikipedia, describing (much better) and supporting what I was saying about 4-stroke tech:

wow I guess someone had something to say lol

Thank you for correcting me :) Look, if 2 stroke MX motorcross bikes have the same powerband as the FZ6, then I take back what I said. The only 2 stroke I rode in my life was a 80 or 125cc 2 stroke mini-dirt bike when I was 10 yo (i'll have to find a picture of that so you guys can laugh)... and that thing was either ON or OFF... twist the throttle and the power was there. I had the feeling that the OP was looking for a bike that would give him power from anywhere, and for that I recommended a v-twin (obviously it's not the case on the FZ). My bad for starting a 2stroke vs 4 stroke controversy here, I am definitely not an expert and did not know MX engines felt like the I4 600cc street engines in terms of power, so I apologize for the confusion (I thought ppl had gotten the msg I was trying to convey).

Last edited:

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow I guess someone had something to say lol

Thank you for correcting me :) Look, if 2 stroke MX motorcross bikes have the same powerband as the FZ6, then I take back what I said. The only 2 stroke I rode in my life was a 80 or 125cc 2 stroke mini-dirt bike when I was 10 yo (i'll have to find a picture of that so you guys can laugh)... and that thing was either ON or OFF... twist the throttle and the power was there. I had the feeling that the OP was looking for a bike that would give him power from anywhere, and for that I recommended a v-twin (obviously it's not the case on the FZ). My bad for starting a 2stroke vs 4 stroke controversy here, I am definitely not an expert and did not know MX engines felt like the I4 600cc street engines in terms of power, so I apologize for the confusion (I thought ppl had gotten the msg I was trying to convey).

:eek:

I hope you didn't take offense! :spank:

I was frustrated and took it out on my post. Hopefully not on you or the op or anyone, just my post.

Sorry for being a :squid:

No hard feelings :Flash:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
nah :D... I don't like to see the BS flag pulled on my *ss, but I obviously was confusing things, so someone had to do it :thumbup:

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site

im sorry, but most late model 250s make mid 40s at the wheel, not the crank along with slightly more torque. a newer 450 has about 50-55 depending on the year and model (if i need to provide charts i will) and a 250 feels nothing like a 125, they have a much broader range, though of cours not as broad as a 4 stroke

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my FZ6 for 2 years like it was street bikes I had rode in the past, such as shadow 750, RD400. etc. Meaning at most 6-7K rpms,With the upright riding position it was like a cruiser with new tech to me that's all, then one day I passed someone and hit 11-12k rpms, WOW, it was like getting a new bike without the payments, few years later and more research and I am happy to have purchased the FZ6 for sure. I also have been riding motocross, trail riding, quads etc forever, I currently ride A RM250 two stroke on the trails and find it quite similar to the FZ6 when you wake them up, (meaning high revs).
I really enjoyed the two stroke versus FZ6 debate.Thanks guys
Makes more sense to me now that it is put into words.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
The only 2 stroke I rode in my life was a 80 or 125cc 2 stroke mini-dirt bike when I was 10 yo (i'll have to find a picture of that so you guys can laugh)... and that thing was either ON or OFF... twist the throttle and the power was there.

Looks like a 50cc single?

yes, that's me on the left... with my cousin... in front of my house growing up :D

3921644036_4465006505_o.jpg

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 51. I rode and raced enduros and mx in the 70's and 80's and then went sailing for many years. Wound up living on an island with 16km of road so stayed off bikes for a long time.
Recently moved to the mainland for doctoral studies.
Bought a Honda CBF250 last November and put 17000 km on it until July when I bought my FZ6S 2008 model.

It is the perfect bike for me. I mostly ride country miles and live very close to arguably one of the best coastal roads in the world, The Great Ocean Road.
I did a lot of research on it.
The day I picked up the bike was wet, hail and windy.
I had to do 200km to get home. It felt comfortable from the moment I got on it. The bike has exceeded my expectations.
Washing it reveals quality in manufacture.
Servicing is easy.
This fz6 website is very useful.

Cheers

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
NO! It doesn't! :thumbup:

But I am biased now... corrupted. My opinion doesn't count. ;)

It has enough to get you from ZERO to TICKET before 3rd gear.... correct?

Reaction score
Visit site
I've posted a comment in this forum that was similar to this. That is, I stated that I found that after adjusting my riding style to the Fz6, that it brought back memories of riding two cycles back in the day. Riding the the power band into the high revs is thrilling on the Fizzer and I remember the smokers being the same way. GRUMPY

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
It has more than enough power to go from zero to ticket in first!

I did finally find the limit of its performance on a ride this weekend. I was at 12000 rpm and the bike stopped accelerating at 90mph in what I think was 3rd or 4th gear. But I was going up a very steep mountain pass (Stevens Pass WA 4000+ ft), into a headwind. That was the only time I felt the limit of 600cc's. other than the power feels limitless and faster than you'll ever need on the street.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I only have 110 miles on my new FZ but I absolutely love it. I've owned six other bikes in years gone by and I have logged many miles on my nephew's Ninjas, a 600 and 900, but when I test rode the FZ I knew this was the bike for me. I am 6'-2" and weigh in at 216. This bike seems to be the perfect blend of weight, handling, power, as well as economy. On the interstate the wind off 18 wheelers doesn't phase it and I love the power. JMO Good luck with your decision!

benjfoster

Reaction score
Visit site
I am 6'2" and 210 lbs. I have also ridden with my girlfriend on the bike pushing the load over the 300lb marker. I have still been amazed by the power the FZ6 has at mid-higher RPM. It is a little slower (still faster than most cars) until you hit 6k. I think that makes it much easier to maintain "sane" speeds around town/in traffic. If you keep it in the correct gear, you should NEVER have any problem accelerating while climbing a hill.