Does the 07 FZ6 have a reserve fuel tank?

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have read my manual several times and just hear it mention briefly there is a reserve fuel tank. I had the sales rep tell me it didn't have one. I don't know what to believe or how to tell if it does or doesn't have one. If it does how do you know if you are useing the reserve atm or just the tank. Right now the last bar on my fual guage is flashing. I guess that means I am about to run out of gas. Can anyone please help clear this up for me. Thanks.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read my manual several times and just hear it mention briefly there is a reserve fuel tank. I had the sales rep tell me it didn't have one. I don't know what to believe or how to tell if it does or doesn't have one. If it does how do you know if you are useing the reserve atm or just the tank. Right now the last bar on my fual guage is flashing. I guess that means I am about to run out of gas. Can anyone please help clear this up for me. Thanks.

.95 us gallons (reserve)

4.18 gallons until reserve

5.13 us gallons total tank capacity

I believe the flashing 'e' is to warn you you are reaching reserve...not sure

Last edited:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When the last fuel bar is flashing the smallest bar does that mean your in the reserve?

Correct. When the smallest bar is flashing, you are on reserve. The Odometer will also say FTRIP and start at 0 so you know how many miles since you hit "reserve". There is no reserve pet**** like old carb bikes.

Wow i did not think that word would be censored. "Fuel Valve" would be a more PC term I guess. Lesson learned!:spank::spank::spank::spank::thumbup:

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What these guys said... expect to run no more than 25 miles on the flashing bar if driving a bit aggressive. I've done 34 and chickened out but it was all the lowest RPMs I could muster. :D

dereknjenny04

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been kind of disappointed in my 2008 F-Trip.

I have filled my tank 3 times since getting the bike.

The first time I went 10 mile on F-Trip, and the only put 3.8 gallons in the bike.

The second time I went 30 miles and put 4.0 in the tank.

The third time I went 60 miles and put 4.3 gallons in the tank.

With 5.1 gallon capacity, it seems like it comes on a little soon for my taste.
I think the F-Trip/reserve fires off a little early.

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
I read my manuel wrong and thought that actual fuel symbol would blink if I was out of gas. when my last bar was flashing I thought nothing of it and left to visit my mom. I made it a good thirty miles and decided that I wanted to crank it on a straight away. I hit 120mph on the speedometer and the bike refuse to advance like an highschool pothead. I began to lose speed and the hot chicks in the car I past a while back, past me as i sat on the side of the road helpless. the morale of the story is to fill up when the last bar starts flashing.

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with derek. I went about 10 miles into the F-Trip and only filled up 3.6 gallons. I get 52-55 mpg so even if the F-trip comes on I would feel comfortable for another 30 miles or so. Better off to stop at the closest gas station and spend the whole 15$ to fill up!!

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone noticed the last 3 bars go down faster than the first 3. I was on the hwy and did like 100miles and was down to the 3rd bar (so half a tank), then it went to the last one in 30miles. I keep noticing i'll do 75miles and only one bar will move, then its as if all of a sudden it goes down wayyy faster. Anyone experience anything like this?

mastakilla

Reaction score
Visit site
AFAIK there is no reserve tank on the FZ6. The F-trip thingy comes on when fuel drops below a certain level, there is no physically separated compartment with the reserve fuel.

I have done no more than 15 miles on F-trip, yeah I'm a wuss :)

ANLR21

Master Blaster
Reaction score
Visit site
As a rule, best to avoid letting your tank get that empty. There are always impurities in gasoline and other general crap that can sneak into the tank, and running the tank nearly bone dry can cause the stuff to congregate and get pulled into the fuel line, causing a sudden line, pump or filter block that NEVER comes at a good time. Unfortunately, the voice of experience.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone noticed the last 3 bars go down faster than the first 3. I was on the hwy and did like 100miles and was down to the 3rd bar (so half a tank), then it went to the last one in 30miles. I keep noticing i'll do 75miles and only one bar will move, then its as if all of a sudden it goes down wayyy faster. Anyone experience anything like this?

It's just like your fuel gauge on your vehicle, the first half of the fuel indicator goes down pretty slow, but when it gets past half, it starts to go down pretty quick, real quick when it's gets down to a 1/4 or less.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

O yeah I have noticed. After the first bar goes down the grade of the down hill is alot lol. But I must say all my friends have cruisers and they have to keep up with there mpg themselves. They don't have a guage. So I can't complain to much. I dont know about other bikes thats why I mentioned they had cruisers.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been kind of disappointed in my 2008 F-Trip.

I have filled my tank 3 times since getting the bike.

The first time I went 10 mile on F-Trip, and the only put 3.8 gallons in the bike.

The second time I went 30 miles and put 4.0 in the tank.

The third time I went 60 miles and put 4.3 gallons in the tank.

With 5.1 gallon capacity, it seems like it comes on a little soon for my taste.
I think the F-Trip/reserve fires off a little early.

I am with you but I do still like having the gauge if I follow it at least I should never run out on the road like so many others have. :)

FZ6er_FSR

Reaction score
Visit site

Yes, I have the same issue, the last three bars just disappears. But something I'm trying to figure out, when my gas gauge reaches 1 bar (solid), I go fill up my tank to the ring, I only need to fill up half the tank's capacity. Maybe I'm not running it long enough until the last bar actually starts flashing?

I may never know because the highways around my area, it cost $100 to pull my wife's car out of a snow bank. I don't want to know how much an acutal tow cost:confused:!