Do you use your clutch?

Do you clutch up?

• Total voters

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Way back in my motocross days I would power shift up through the gears. It did seem like the shifter dogs would wear faster. But race bikes get oil changed often and two strokes have a separate transmission. I suppose clutchless shifting won't hurt if you're at high speeds and high rpm's. But why do it, it's not like the fraction of a second it takes to shift with the clutch is saving you anything on a street ride.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i do both, most of the times i use the clutch, sometimes under hard acceleration i like to skip the clutch to add a little to the fun.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My old 96 Katana was done the same way and it was still running on the original clutch with no issues. From what I have seen as long as you do not force the shifts it causes no issues/stress on the bike. I would guesstimate that 98% of the time I use the clutch but when I am just out having some fun on the occation I will clutchless shift and it goes into gear just as smoothly.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I try to avoid using the cutch where possible in sports riding mode, in fact, i am about to go one step further, and fit a powershifter in the next week or so, to my black FZ6!

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Do loud pipes save lives?

Will using the front brake cause you to flip over the handlebars?

Should I lay it down if I'm going to hit something?

Do helmets cause more injury than they prevent?

Dino or synthetic?

Take it easy on my tires for the first 100 miles?

4 fingers on the brake at all times?

Can you wheelie a harley?

I love when people speak with such absolute confidence....cracks me up

Clutchless Shifting - Sport Rider Magazine Online

Enjoy y'all

PS - I didn't answer the poll b/c there was no sometimes option.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
PS - I didn't answer the poll b/c there was no sometimes option.

I'd add more option but can't see if I can edit a poll after its been published. Also not fair on those that have already voted. I'll think harder next time about multi answers before my next poll ;)

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd add more option but can't see if I can edit a poll after its been published. Also not fair on those that have already voted. I'll think harder next time about multi answers before my next poll ;)

haha ok :thumbup:

I don't know if it's bad, or if it's good, or if it has no impact on wear....but I'm pretty sure it's not measurably bad, but could be wrong.

Downshifting w/out the clutch in the dirt is pretty much a necessity for going fast....IMO. I don't downshift w/out the clutch on my sport bike.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have added the "sometimes" option for you.
On my screen the poll box has an edit option on the right hand side. I'm not sure if that is a mod only function?

Nelly

Thanks for that.:thumbup:
and no, I don't see an edit option up there.

Cheers dude

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use it, because that's how I learned. I've toyed with clutch-less up shifts, but usually end up getting a jerking/bucking motion when I come back on throttle... It's an uncomfortable sensation that would be back in a curve...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
if you preload your tranny by lightly or heavily accelerating, then unload it by gently rolling off the throttle, as you roll off the throttle all tension in the trans gears is releved, and on a motorcycle with a sequential gear box, you can click up the gears from 2nd to 3rd etc...

do not shift out of first EVER without clutch
do not shift down without clutch EVER, you cannot unload a tranny and then put the stress of a lower gear down on it- by its very nature a lower gear adds stress- a higher gear relieves stress

some good drives can do it in a car by the same idea of loading and unloading the tranny but its not a sequential gear box so really-- you will tear it up
rally cars indy cars etc all use a seq. gear box- no street cars

Not true - its trucks with compound low gear that are not synchronized. Reverse is a non-synchronized gear which requires the input and output shafts be stopped before making changes. All passenger cars have forward speed constant mesh synchro-mesh transmissions and if done right can be shifted w/out a clutch both up and down. As stated, downshifts are harder to prefect.

As for the bike, I upshift my other bikes w/out the clutch but not everyday or all of the time. When you know you're close to right speed using the clutch is when your road speed and engine speed gear changes (using clutch) are butter smooth like an automatic trans and there is not shock to the drive train. Meaning you can't feel the shift occur. When you prefect the transition, try it w/out the clutch but don't be lazy and slow about it.

Just my 2 cents: learn how to do just in case your cable or lever breaks so you can at least get home.

:)

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried it..but I don't like it. Find I'm looking for metal filings when I do an oil change. Just can't get used to it. Just my 02. Plus, what good are my new levers if I don't use 'em!:D

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried it..but I don't like it. Find I'm looking for metal filings when I do an oil change. Just can't get used to it. Just my 02. Plus, what good are my new levers if I don't use 'em!:D

Go on ya for trying anyway. :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I usually clutch but after 2nd gear I only just lightly press the lever for upshifts and it's smooth as silk, much smoother than no clutch at all.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
so i learned something new. i've read where you guys talked about this before but never really understood how to do it. plus, i was in the camp that said "there's a reason the clutch is there". after reading some of the responses here, and the article that was posted that explained how to do it and why isn't not bad for your bike, i decided to give it a go on the way home last night. worked like a charm. i'm not smooth with it... and i won't always go clutchless... but i could see myself using it every now and then for fun. i honestly expected to hear some sort of grinding sound letting me know i had just destroyed my bike.

thanks for the thread and the posts guys.

dstaffx

Reaction score
Visit site
so i learned something new. i've read where you guys talked about this before but never really understood how to do it. plus, i was in the camp that said "there's a reason the clutch is there". after reading some of the responses here, and the article that was posted that explained how to do it and why isn't not bad for your bike, i decided to give it a go on the way home last night. worked like a charm. i'm not smooth with it... and i won't always go clutchless... but i could see myself using it every now and then for fun. i honestly expected to hear some sort of grinding sound letting me know i had just destroyed my bike.

thanks for the thread and the posts guys.

Your welcome, and thanks to everyone for all the responces.:rockon:

I am delighted you gave it a go. This is exactly what I do. I clutch in traffic and the like but if I'm out for a fun spin with the lads and the revs are up a bit it adds to the fun of the drive.

I have another post I'm going to put up tonight hopefully. It'll be something else for people to try if they haven't already.

:thumbup: