Do you use your clutch?

Do you clutch up?

• Total voters

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the interwebs and talk is cheap but so is smooth.
Load is load and F'g up a shift is a load which you feel. That said a proper rev match and means you transitioned from one gear to the next with minimal load and can apply power again.

This gear box is constant mesh. That said it is NOT the gears being abused by a bad shift but the clutch dogs and to some extent the synchros.

Smooth is smooth. Fail is fail and the 1 - 2 or 2 - 1 shift being at 40+% gear change is easy to F up for many.

Any of this sound harsh to the gear box? Granted not all is clutchless... but it helps me sleep... lol

Soundcloud.com MP3 audio tracks
https://m.soundcloud.com/fz6-rippedmp3/2015-07-12map4at130afr

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting topic. Riding season is almost here. This makes sense, I will try shifting from 3rd gear to 4th --> 5th and so on with no clutch and report back. It might be actually smoother than using the clutch!
Yeah downshifting I think I will stick in using the clutch :)

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I can honestly say the only times not using the clutch is a lapse in thinking.. like wth just happened? I forgot to clutch

jesse_sanders

Reaction score
Visit site
I clutch from 1-->2 and on all down shifts but do not use it other wise. Now whether that's right or wrong I haven't a clue. It seems to depend who you ask.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
I did test this out and if I am on fairly high rpm this works like a charm but at low rpm my gear does not really want to release so I don't force it.
I think I will use this technique if I am in a hurry\racing otherwise I wont...

klimber

Reaction score
Visit site
I frequently clutch-less shift, usually smoothly; it depends on the road and riding conditions. Understanding how to time the shift while unloading the transmission with smooth throttle control is critical. Downshifts are more difficult but still possible. I'm not denying clutch-less shifting doesn't increase the chance of wearing out the transmission faster, but if done smoothly I don't think it makes much of a difference. You can wear out the clutch dogs even with using the clutch, if you shift with a large difference between engine and road speed.