• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Our bike has a "tip over switch"??? :confused:

Yes, but I think it's more of a sensor than a switch. How would you like it if you have a faulty one of these and you go and make you turn and suddenly the bike shuts off. I believe all these safety precautions are overkill, probably to prevent lawsuits. I need to find a way to bypass all of these, in case they go bad and I need to start bike in emergency.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
The tip over switch shuts off the fuel if the bike goes over. Fuel injected cars have a similar device that operates if you get shunted.

Caladin

Reaction score
Visit site
Finally, a real world experience pointing to the hazard of frequent use of the kill switch.

I would imagine you would find the same rate of failure in those that do not use the switch. Its just open to the elements, so its susceptible to corrosion. My 2 previous bikes were all open switches as well.

I think it would be beneficial if you tell us how to bypass the kill switch in case that ever happens to us in some deserted place. (Is the second picture how you did it?)

Just complete the circuit. The bike runs when the 2 contacts are closed. I used a little bit of spare wire to twist around side terminals of the switch. I did this as I planned to just clean the contacts inside the switch and continue using it.

Last edited:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
From what I understand the kill switch on my 07 and mabe other models is inertia tripping. I dumped my bike on the left side and my was in the run position but wouldn't crank the bike after the spill. I clicked it a few times then back to run and the bike started.

CFrolander

Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps it's a bad idea since I've only seen it mentioned in this thread once, but I come to a complete stop in first gear and lower the kickstand. That kills the motor, and I can turn the key off after that. Other than not having the muscle-memory of the kill switch, I don't see any harm with it since the kickstand goes down every time I get off the bike anyways :) Does anyone else do this?

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the kill switch everytime I turn off bike - was taught to do so by my driving instructor (or are they called riding instructor?) hehe...

Read a few replies in here which states that they are affraid that the kill switch will get faulty... Yamaha isn't exactly known for worst build quality, so I believe that this particular button would last longer if it was used very often!!

But if you rode for several years in all sorts of weather without touching the button, and suddently needed it some day, then you could be experiencing a faulty button.

I can't remember who but one of you guys/girls wrote about some anry instructor because he/she used the kill switch just before coming to a stop. The main reason this instructor got angry is not just because of the use of the kill switch, but because of the potential danger that an inexperienced motorcycle rider might easier forget if the bike is left in gear or not when gliding to a stop. If the rider forgets about this or maybe just accidently let go of the clutch before complete stop... well guess for yourselves :eek:

Last edited:

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps it's a bad idea since I've only seen it mentioned in this thread once, but I come to a complete stop in first gear and lower the kickstand. That kills the motor, and I can turn the key off after that. Other than not having the muscle-memory of the kill switch, I don't see any harm with it since the kickstand goes down every time I get off the bike anyways :) Does anyone else do this?

It's the other way around for me... I often forget that I left the kickstand down and the engine stops when I put it in 1st gear... I'd better make damn sure than any future bike I get has the same feature (FZ6 is my first)

I never had problems with engine after kill switch (using it every time I stop), or if I forget about the kickstand and need to restart!

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Originally Posted by tcmalker
I think it would be beneficial if you tell us how to bypass the kill switch in case that ever happens to us in some deserted place.

Just complete the circuit. The bike runs when the 2 contacts are closed. I used a little bit of spare wire to twist around side terminals of the switch. I did this as I planned to just clean the contacts inside the switch and continue using it.

WOW, great everyday tip there Caladin! I will put a bit of wire in my trunk and remember that!

You just open it up and there are terminals easily visible underneath that top part?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, but I think it's more of a sensor than a switch. How would you like it if you have a faulty one of these and you go and make you turn and suddenly the bike shuts off. I believe all these safety precautions are overkill, probably to prevent lawsuits. I need to find a way to bypass all of these, in case they go bad and I need to start bike in emergency.
The tilt switch doesn't always work if you have frame sliders. When I dropped my bike the engine did not cut out. I subsequently tested the switch and its fine.

I always use the kill switch,I can't see any decent reason not to.

Nelly

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike, a 1990 Radian I used the kill switch religiously.... now I forget that its there... I guess I now look at it as an emergency equipment... idk.

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site

I do it quite often. I almost always park the bike in gear to make it harder to roll (either inadvertantly due to being bumped, or on purpose.) If you kill the engine this way, there's no worry about leaving the kill switch in the kill position. You still have to remember to turn off and take the key, but since I almost always lock my helmet to the helmet lock, there's no worry there either.

It's the other way around for me... I often forget that I left the kickstand down and the engine stops when I put it in 1st gear... I'd better make damn sure than any future bike I get has the same feature (FZ6 is my first)

I think the kickstand cut-out switch is a great feature. Riding off with the stand down and then trying to make a left turn can have serious consequences. (As many warning labels say, serious injury or death.)

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Every time. I think I developed the idea/habit from my training class where instructors would tell us to put the bike in N before shutting it off. At the time I had trouble getting the bike into N while running so I would Put the stand down instead then move it to N easier. (I don't have this problem anymore though but still like to turn it off using the stand.) I also like to leave mine in gear to keep my mind at ease that it's not gonna roll away on me. And to help prevent kids from trying to roll it around.

The only time I use the red switch is for maintenance like oil checks etc.

Last edited:

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
Every time. I think I developed the idea/habit from my training class where instructors would tell us to put the bike in N before shutting it off. At the time I had trouble getting the bike into N while running so I would Put the stand down instead then move it to N easier. (I don't have this problem anymore though but still like to turn it off using the stand.) I also like to leave mine in gear to keep my mind at ease that it's not gonna roll away on me. And to help prevent kids from trying to roll it around.

The only time I use the red switch is for maintenance like oil checks etc.

Same. I would hate to have a bike that doesn't have this feature, it's very convenient.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I have said it before (just can't remember if in this thread).

Modern bikes are switching a very low current with the kill switch as it is wired to the ECU not into the coil circuit like they used to be on older bikes.

Modern switchgear contacts for low currents use the mechanical action of the switch to clean the contacts during switching.

I reckon using the switch at least every now and again is good for the switch, and confirms operation.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I always use the kill switch....just have to remind myself to not walk away from the bike with the ignition still turned on, and key in the ignition! Hard to do with your headlight still on, but hey, i have done it before! :eek:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
I have said it before (just can't remember if in this thread).

Modern bikes are switching a very low current with the kill switch as it is wired to the ECU not into the coil circuit like they used to be on older bikes.

Modern switchgear contacts for low currents use the mechanical action of the switch to clean the contacts during switching.

I reckon using the switch at least every now and again is good for the switch, and confirms operation.

It does seem a little old-fashioned, and perhaps I am not reading the diagram correctly, but it sure looks to me like the kill switch directly powers the coils. Also powers a relay which supplies power to the fuel pump.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
It does seem a little old-fashioned, and perhaps I am not reading the diagram correctly, but it sure looks to me like the kill switch directly powers the coils. Also powers a relay which supplies power to the fuel pump.

My bad, the FZ6 wiring diagram does indeed show the kill switch disconnecting the coils

Status
Not open for further replies.