• No. I use the ignition.

Votes: 99 49.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
But the switching is still an important part of keeping the contacts clean, the switch will use the arc of switching off to help keep the contacts clean, quote.

"With all this discussion concerning the reduction of switch contact arcing, one might be led to think that less current is always better for a mechanical switch. This, however, is not necessarily so. It has been found that a small amount of periodic arcing can actually be good for the switch contacts, because it keeps the contact faces free from small amounts of dirt and corrosion" Switch contact design : SWITCHES

Ballzac

Reaction score
Visit site
Shortly after finishing my MSF (3 weeks maybe) I was on the freeway and avoided a near collision. Not my fault... Anyways my "muscle memory" from the class took over and I hit the KS subconciously. Coasting from 80-40 miles an hour freaking out why my bike died and I couldnt get it going again with the starter. After I carefully crossed 3 lanes and came to a stop I finally realized what the hell happened.

Needless to say, never used the KS again after that. Can probably just blame it on a beginner mistake, reacting without thinking. Still, was a bad experience coasting across the freeway while traffic was flying by.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Shortly after finishing my MSF (3 weeks maybe) I was on the freeway and avoided a near collision. Not my fault... Anyways my "muscle memory" from the class took over and I hit the KS subconciously. Coasting from 80-40 miles an hour freaking out why my bike died and I couldnt get it going again with the starter. After I carefully crossed 3 lanes and came to a stop I finally realized what the hell happened.

Needless to say, never used the KS again after that. Can probably just blame it on a beginner mistake, reacting without thinking. Still, was a bad experience coasting across the freeway while traffic was flying by.

"reacting without thinking". That's what I'm talking about, muscle memory kicked in. This is a real world experience I warned you guys about.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I use it once in a while, just to ensure I'm used to it, and to ensure that it's still working fine. Especially now that I live in the mountains near the coast, where everything corrodes faster than normal.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site

Kind of wondering what muscle memory kicked in there? It makes me wonder if you didn't grab the brakes going "Oh, sh********t!" and bump the switch in the process. We were only told to use the switch to turn the bike off, and my instructor didn't care one way or the other to be honest. As long as the clutch was in and the bike was in neutral when we let off of that brake. I'll use either, whichever I grab for first. Sometimes, I've even been known to put the kickstand down first. That usually only happens on my stupidly steep driveway when I'm thinking "OMG put the stand down before I lose it."

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Never. If I need to stop I pull in the clutch and apply the brakes. Once I come to a stop, I find neutral and then turn the bike off with the key. I hate when I pick the bike up from the deaerl, push the starter and nothing. Ugh, kill switch. I just don't get the point of it.

That said you Kill Switcher would love my track bike, it has 2 kill switches, yes two!

Why you ask? Well there is no ignition. There is a second kill switch on the left handle bar that is "Master Power". Unsafety key it, flip it to "ON" and the bike's electrics come one, just like an ignition switch. Then flip the right side kill switch to "ON" and punch the starter. Kinda funky.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, as of now it's 89-84 in favor of NOT using the kill switch (the correct & safe choice). I request that this thread be closed once one hits 100. Then we'll see who's correct, humans or robots.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I use my everytime.. Thats how I was trained by the msf course.. can't really see a reason not to use it..

you've been trained good, robot. As for the reason not to use it, look up several posts and you'll see how someone almost got killed using it.

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had my FZ750 and my Maxim 400 tip over numerous times when they are running. with gas leaking out and the engine running, it's nice to have that kill switch sticking up in the air to shut off the motor. (they always tip over to the left. very convenient)

When I was in high school, I had a minor accident on my Exciter 250 and the bike was laying on my leg and running, the kill switch was much easier to find then the ignition key would have been.

Those are the "emergencies" in which I would use the kill switch. About to rear end a truck? I'd use the brakes.

For day to day use, I use the kill switch as well, it's just convenient for me. I don't think it's righter or wronger, just my preference.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
Voted! Whenever I park, I make sure I am in first gear, then kick the side stand down, which kills the engine, then turn off the key.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
you've been trained good, robot. As for the reason not to use it, look up several posts and you'll see how someone almost got killed using it.

It almost seems you are skewing your poll by sometimes being less than polite to people. Not that calling someone a robot is harsh by any means but why not let the poll be just that, a poll. We all have different opinions and experiences and this is a great place to share them. Most times I find this forum an advantage and beneficial, added to my own personal experience and ideas.
One of the reasons I'm bringing this to light is that you accused me of skewing your "tcmalker headlight mod poll" by expressing my idea of how you might make it better. You even asked me to edit out what I expressed. If I thought for one moment that I was doing something wrong or hurtful I would have complied. In fact I almost did (considering your personal feeling) but for one reason. I think you should grow into the understanding that we all live together here and we all have different ideas and experience as to how life and riding works. Some of us may not agree on a lot of ideas and thoughts but I think most of us respect those differences and don't see a reason to not be friendly to someone who has a different opinion, thought, or experience. Those expressions are not the whole of who a person is and are not written in stone.
TC,
In most cases I use the ignition switch but there have been times when I'll just thumb the kill switch. Additionally, if you ever get a chance you should get out here and get a ride in with us! :rockon:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
It almost seems you are skewing your poll by sometimes being less than polite to people. Not that calling someone a robot is harsh by any means but why not let the poll be just that, a poll. We all have different opinions and experiences and this is a great place to share them. Most times I find this forum an advantage and beneficial, added to my own personal experience and ideas.
One of the reasons I'm bringing this to light is that you accused me of skewing your "tcmalker headlight mod poll" by expressing my idea of how you might make it better. You even asked me to edit out what I expressed. If I thought for one moment that I was doing something wrong or hurtful I would have complied. In fact I almost did (considering your personal feeling) but for one reason. I think you should grow into the understanding that we all live together here and we all have different ideas and experience as to how life and riding works. Some of us may not agree on a lot of ideas and thoughts but I think most of us respect those differences and don't see a reason to not be friendly to someone who has a different opinion, thought, or experience. Those expressions are not the whole of who a person is and are not written in stone.
TC,
In most cases I use the ignition switch but there have been times when I'll just thumb the kill switch. Additionally, if you ever get a chance you should get out here and get a ride in with us! :rockon:

1. Robot comment was a joke. No malice was intended.
2. The comments I was referring to was the first few that you posted. Essentially if someone was reading that they would think that tcmalker didn't know what he was talking about. It goes on for about 4 posts until you finally acknowledge that tcmalker was right.
3. I understand we all have different opinions, etc. I respect each ones and like being part of this community.
4. I do feel a little of an outcast here, since I have had 'issues' with few members. I think those issues have be resolved. I'm relatively new here and you guys have been here a while and are probably good friends.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Robot comment was a joke. No malice was intended.
2. The comments I was referring to was the first few that you posted. Essentially if someone was reading that they would think that tcmalker didn't know what he was talking about. It goes on for about 4 posts until you finally acknowledge that tcmalker was right.
3. I understand we all have different opinions, etc. I respect each ones and like being part of this community.
4. I do feel a little of an outcast here, since I have had 'issues' with few members. I think those issues have be resolved. I'm relatively new here and you guys have been here a while and are probably good friends.

Thank you for your response and clearing up some of those issues. No doubt some of us will become goods friends with you. Again if you can get out here, let's ride! :rockon:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Comes down to respect.

Respect everyone on this forum. They will respect you.

As a "relative newbie", to riding and this forum, listening to other peoples opinions is important. There is a lot of experience on this forum. People will always give an opinion, whether you like it or not.

You had a lot of problems on another forum - they even chased you down here. Don't let it happen on this forum. We're not like them. We look after our members, as you found out when you first joined. I banned a lot of those members that were harrassing you.

Good luck with everything, and again, it's not a competition. If someone doesn't like your mod, move on. You like your mod and there are some members that like it. Be happy with that. You're not going to convince everyone that you're right.

And like Cliff said, get out there and ride. It would be nice to get some ride reports and pics of rides from you.

Oh, BTW, the more you keep using this 3rd person talk, the less people will take you serious.

Stop it! ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.