Difficulty Upshifting to Sixth

catcher_15

Reaction score
Visit site
I've just completed my first 1000mi on my '08 FZ6. Sadly, it's also my first 1000mi on any bike...as I've only been riding for less than a month!

I've experienced several issues upshifting to sixth gear and maybe this forum can help me. On occasion, sixth gear doesn't fully engage. It's almost like the gearbox has a "in-between" spot between fifth and sixth. If the gearbox hits this zone it's like the thing goes into neutral...let the clutch out and the revs peg.

During one particular upshift on today's ride, again trying to upshift to sixth, I was greeted with some of the rudest gear grinding I've ever heard followed be a re-engagement in FIFTH! I had to re-clutch and toe the upshift twice before it finally clicked up and engaged sixth.

Now, being a new rider, this may be attributable to inexperience. I can't say for certain that in every occasion I've had these problems I've toe'd the shift lever hard enough. But, there has been times where I've tried to bend the lever and it still didn't go into sixth.

So, any comments from the community? Is it me or the bike?

Thanks,
Brad

S

sportrider

First off, Welcome aboard you've found the right place for everything FZ6 and really Motorcycles in general.

I'd make sure you are fully letting the shifter reset between shifts, also are you rolling off the throttle while shifting? I never had a problem with mis-shifting on my FZ6. does it do it all the time or just on occasion?

catcher_15

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd make sure you are fully letting the shifter reset between shifts, also are you rolling off the throttle while shifting? I never had a problem with mis-shifting on my FZ6. does it do it all the time or just on occasion?

I'm fairly positive I'm letting the shifter reset. I've tried to make a habit after every upshift to return the "ball" of the foot to the peg.

It doesn't do it everytime...maybe half a dozen times during a two hour ride through twisties.

Brad

Scab

Nobody special
Reaction score
Visit site
How does the shifter sit, in relation to your foot? Were you aware that you can adjust the shifter? Maybe you can adjust it down a bit so that your foot can more easily lift the shifter. Also, out of curiosity, what rpm range to you typically shift at?

catcher_15

Reaction score
Visit site
How does the shifter sit, in relation to your foot? Were you aware that you can adjust the shifter? Maybe you can adjust it down a bit so that your foot can more easily lift the shifter. Also, out of curiosity, what rpm range to you typically shift at?

The position of the shifter is not the problem. There is no difficulty in finding the lever and negotiating to any gear other than the occasional pain of sixth.

After searching the forum for information, I came across some threads on downshifting speed ranges and matching revs. It occured to me that maybe I am trying to get into sixth too early (revs too low). Typically I've been keeping revs under 6k in all gears and usually shift into sixth somewhere about 4000-4200 after done accelerating. Speed is generally 50 +/-5 mph.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...It occured to me that maybe I am trying to get into sixth too early (revs too low)...

I think you're right on this part. I recall having a similar experience on mine just cruising around at under 60mph.

Generally, the higher the revs, the smoother the upshift but I keep my revs low also. (I've had my fz6 since july and you've got 300 more miles than me lol).

BranNwebster

The UNO Master
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Even though this may not have been his problem I'm assuming that this (shifter reset) is a common problem, When I first got my FZ6 I was doing this. Good advice.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine would grind if I shift down to first really quickly so I adjusted my braking distance a bit longer and wait about a 2-3 seconds between gears.

snowmannn

Reaction score
Visit site
I experienced this issue - false neutral between 5th and 6th gear - twice last week. Both times I tried upshifting to 6th at 11-12k RPM. I believe the reason is that I didn't push the lever hard enough. Keeping in mind the speed of the gearbox at these RPM-s I think it is kind of normal for the gear to not engage if you press the lever too lightly (I don't mean one should kick it but rather exert a "good" quick and strong push :)).

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had this happen to me a couple of times too, really annoying, once it was really embarrasing as I had just over taken a cager and then click, Wrrrr :eek: . It hasn't happened to me very often and I haven't totally figured what caused it, maybe I need to kick it up a bit firmer :confused:

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has never happened to me and my shifting is crap. I have found neutral plenty of times between 1 and 2 very embarassing, but never 5 and 6. When i was commuting every day i was shifting into 6 at less than 60 km/h so even lower revs than you do. So sorry no advise from me.

B

bluenova

Funny, this has just started happening to me since I got new boots a week ago, it's ok now but it took me several days to get comfortable again with shifting in the new boots. I found that the new boots were a bit higher than my old ones and I wasn't releasing the shifter in a timely fashion.

It's important to make sure you shift smooth and consistent, don't give it a quick jab, but get your revs up to at least 5 or 6000 then pre-load the shifter (put pressure on the shifter) then just pull the clutch in then out in a quick but smooth fashion (doing a similar movement with the throttle to keep your revs steady) and the gear will just smoothly slip into place.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Just be more forceful when you shift. I hit false neutrals all the time because when I'm crusing, I tend to get pretty lazy with my shifts.

outkast

Reaction score
Visit site
I think 50 mph is way too slow for 6th gear, the engine is well down on revs and will not pull if you open the throttle.
Try to keep a min of 5000 revs in all gears, use the engine. As stated, 50mph is about 3rd 4th gear. I rarely use 6th,only on motorways and at 90+mph. The gears are your friends, use them.
The engine revs to 14000, power comes in at about 8000, keep it bubbling along between 5000/8000rpm until you get confident then go for it.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I think 50 mph is way too slow for 6th gear, the engine is well down on revs and will not pull if you open the throttle.
Try to keep a min of 5000 revs in all gears, use the engine. As stated, 50mph is about 3rd 4th gear. I rarely use 6th,only on motorways and at 90+mph. The gears are your friends, use them.
The engine revs to 14000, power comes in at about 8000, keep it bubbling along between 5000/8000rpm until you get confident then go for it.

Or you can use 6th as a cruising gear to save on gas. You don't have to ride it like a raped ape all the time.