Difficulty In Shifting Smoothly - 1st to 2nd

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
If I remember correctly...(still haven't gotten out this season) when I'm in 6th gear at 100 km/h its revved to exactly 5500... I think, It could be 5000 but I'm pretty sure my initial guess is correct, I certainly notice getting into 6th so you might want to make sure you're actually hitting it.

Someone in another thread was convinced it only had 5 gears, they did some adjusting to the shift linkage and were able to find 6th, so maybe have a look and see if everything is lined up right and able to select all the gears. I have issues finding every gear depending on what footwear I have on, steel toed boots can make things a bit difficult... so another thing to consider

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Worth mentioning that thanks to the tips you guys gave me my first to second shifting has been smooth as butter, until I get cold fingers and then it's a bit more sloppy. Going to look into cable lube in the near future just to smooth things out a tad bit more.

Still: Huge improvement! Thanks!

(Although, my bike only feels like it has five gears and I can hardly tell when I've shifted into six, and counting down while downshifting always seems to work like I started at 5th - runs perfectly on the highway and stuff though, and can cruise at 120km/h (about 75mph) while staying just under 7K RPM, so I'm sure it's in gear properly... Just feels invisible shifting into it. That's another issue entirely, if at all)

The reason that 6th is so un-obvious is that the gear ratio for 6th is incredibly close to 5th. With 5th gear being 25:21 (1.190) and 6th being 26:24 (1.083) there is approximately a 9% gear reduction difference. This is the smallest gear reduction difference in the trans, so it's the least noticeable. For comparison, 1st to 2nd is approximately 32% and 4th to 5th is approximately 10%

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason that 6th is so un-obvious is that the gear ratio for 6th is incredibly close to 5th. With 5th gear being 25:21 (1.190) and 6th being 26:24 (1.083) there is approximately a 9% gear reduction difference. This is the smallest gear reduction difference in the trans, so it's the least noticeable. For comparison, 1st to 2nd is approximately 32% and 4th to 5th is approximately 10%

^^ + 100 :thumbup::thumbup: Good job! Although 6th is getting closer to 1:1 its too steep for the little 600cc.
O/T it would be nice if folks recorded what gear there dyno pulls were made in. Many shift through the gears to obtain AFR per gear, while others use 4th just to see tq only.

Yes, someone was bored and did the math a while ago...

1st > 2nd = -32%
2nd > 3rd = -20%
3rd > 4th = -14%
4th > 5th = -11%
5th > 6th = -9%

^^ from --> RPM, Gear, Sprockets, Tire = Actual Speed! #23

There is this too...

Last edited: