Didn't get info of person I sold a bike too.

Champ1978

Reaction score
Visit site
How bad could this get??

I had never sold a bike before. I didn't know I needed to collect any information on the buyer or fill out any paper work other than signing over the pink slip.

Now, I don't have the info necessary to fill out the DMV forms of notice of transfer and release of liability.

I talked to my insurance, he didn't say much (probable thinking what an idiot in his head so he didn't know what to say out loud) other than you need to get the information.

Tried calling the guy I sold it too, he hasn't responded yet.

Should I lose sleep tonight over this situation?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I'm just not familiar with the process, but I didn't exchange any information when I bought my bike... I just got the title signed over to me and took it in to register the bike (get my plate and tag), and then get the new title mailed to me.

:confused:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Worst case your old bike gets used in a bank job and a swat team comes through your front window, but more likely you could get their speed camera tickets because you never released it.

If the new owner immediately transfers the title then I don't think it's an issue. I'd get it sorted personally to avoid potential ass bitery.

Champ1978

Reaction score
Visit site
Worst case your old bike gets used in a bank job and a swat team comes through your front window, but more likely you could get their speed camera tickets because you never released it.

If the new owner immediately transfers the title then I don't think it's an issue. I'd get it sorted personally to avoid potential ass bitery.

Well, I hope the dude transferred the title.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
here in Australia, if it were me, I'd fill in a Statutory Declaration stating I had sold the bike and forgot to undertake all processes, but include as much info about the buyer have it signed off by Police or Justice of the Peace and at least that might help in the event that the new buyer went through red lights and speed cameras.

btw how did they pay, bank check, cash?? can you follow them up that way?

Champ1978

Reaction score
Visit site
here in Australia, if it were me, I'd fill in a Statutory Declaration stating I had sold the bike and forgot to undertake all processes, but include as much info about the buyer have it signed off by Police or Justice of the Peace and at least that might help in the event that the new buyer went through red lights and speed cameras.

btw how did they pay, bank check, cash?? can you follow them up that way?

The guy gave me cash. I tried calling him, but the phone goes straight to the answering machine. He probable lives in area with no reception.

I am hoping he gets back to me, but, you never know.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
You could probably just report it as stolen - that would void you of any liability on the bike from here on out, and hey, you may get your bike back!

Don't do that

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you keep your tag or did it go with the bike?

Here's a link that may help:

SearchQuarry.com

Your Ca. MV office should be able to help as well.

That's what I was wondering, presumeably you did not leave the plate on the bike as it is registered to you only. Take your plate, registration (with VIN) down to the DMV and plead your case. I am sure your not the first one to have missing information. FWIW I am putting my money on it being used in the "bank job". :D

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think most states, the tag/license plate stays with the original owner NOT with the bike/vehicle.

I did a quick check for Ca but couldn't find anything.

IF, the tag should have stayed with the ORIGINAL owner/PERSON but WENT with the bike by accident, simply report the tag missing. Its not stolen and should relieve you of any liability.

If the above is accurate, document any and all the history, date sold, date you went to the DMV, a case #, if you need to report the tag missing to the police department, a case # again, anyone (get a name) you spoke to, etc.

Tuck that away, and don't worry about it, not much else you can do at this point...

Last edited:

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Who wants the information and why do they want it? The new owner cannot register and tag the bike without presenting the title, which he now should have.
Once the new title is done, the old title becomes void. They keep it at the DMV, stamp it, then shred it. The thing here is the DMV already has the information. It smells like some sort of scam to me. :eek:
Did the people that want your data call you? E-mail? Snail mail? Bump into them at Wall Mart. I'm not an attorney so I'm not sure who has a right to that data. I'm not a crook so I can't see an angle to use the data for gain.
I'm an old man that has been around the block many times. Some of them being dragged, kicking an screaming. If something looks to good to be true, it probably is. If something seems strange or out of the ordinary, stop. Look and Listen. Figure out what is strange.
You might want to go down to the DMV and get in line and ask someone, face to face. It might just be a big waste of time but finding yourself face down on the sidewalk with a knee in your back and your lips quivering from the Tazer is also a big waste of time. As are the years you will spend in jail while trying to prove that it wasn't you piloting your former motorcycle that was used in a drive by shooting.
Assassination from a motorcycle is a favorite thing in the ME. The guy (or gal) on the back uses a submachine gun. They lane split until they are next to the target then the gunner opens up, drops the gun and they go. Around a corner and up into the back of a van. The support team closes the van door and they drive off.:Flash:
I expect it won't be very long before these terror tactics shows up here in America. That and suicide squads attack shopping malls.
Both are favored terror tactics that so far, haen't jumped the pond. Thank God.

Last edited:

Champ1978

Reaction score
Visit site
Who wants the information and why do they want it? The new owner cannot register and tag the bike without presenting the title, which he now should have.
Once the new title is done, the old title becomes void. They keep it at the DMV, stamp it, then shred it. The thing here is the DMV already has the information. It smells like some sort of scam to me. :eek:
Did the people that want your data call you? E-mail? Snail mail? Bump into them at Wall Mart. I'm not an attorney so I'm not sure who has a right to that data. I'm not a crook so I can't see an angle to use the data for gain.
I'm an old man that has been around the block many times. Some of them being dragged, kicking an screaming. If something looks to good to be true, it probably is. If something seems strange or out of the ordinary, stop. Look and Listen. Figure out what is strange.
You might want to go down to the DMV and get in line and ask someone, face to face. It might just be a big waste of time but finding yourself face down on the sidewalk with a knee in your back and your lips quivering from the Tazer is also a big waste of time. As are the years you will spend in jail while trying to prove that it wasn't you piloting your former motorcycle that was used in a drive by shooting.
Assassination from a motorcycle is a favorite thing in the ME. The guy (or gal) on the back uses a submachine gun. They lane split until they are next to the target then the gunner opens up, drops the gun and they go. Around a corner and up into the back of a van. The support team closes the van door and they drive off.:Flash:
I expect it won't be very long before these terror tactics shows up here in America. That and suicide squads attack shopping malls.
Both are favored terror tactics that so far, haen't jumped the pond. Thank God.

I called my insurance (AAA) and they told me after a sale I need to file out this form online. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/nrl/welcome.htm Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability.

-I didn't remove the plate or take the registration from the bike.

I got text back from his GF (i think) that he is out riding right now and she will tell him when he gets back.

So hopefully this all goes smooth from here.

Champ1978

Reaction score
Visit site
The guy said no to giving me information.

I talked more to my insurance.

If the guy turns in the pink slip in 4 days: I have no problems.

So I am going to check in a couple days and hopefully ownership is transferred.

If the pink slip isn't turned in, then I will have to fill that form the best I can..

Burt2707

Reaction score
Visit site
Did he say no in a text message? Keep the history...

Write it all down with dates and file it all away, as others have said, just to cover yourself as best you can. At least it shows diligence after you found out the correct process.

I have only just deleted the history from the guy who bought my old 250 back in December. I had handed in the transfer forms and everything but you never know.

Actually pulled up next to him at a set of traffic lights, good to see he's looking after it ;)

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The guy said no to giving me information.

I talked more to my insurance.

If the guy turns in the pink slip in 4 days: I have no problems.

So I am going to check in a couple days and hopefully ownership is transferred.

If the pink slip isn't turned in, then I will have to fill that form the best I can..

This is being a bit narky (and I am not being serious, but its nice to vent sometimes):
So he either plays the game straight and does what he should.... or you totally play with him and report it stolen, then you get your bike and his money and he has no proof of your disposal of the bike, did you give him a receipt for the cash?

you just have to decide if you have the cojones to do it, and wear whatever comes of it.

personally... I'd go the route of dmv plead your case, promise to do it right next time and in the future, if you see douchebag on your old bike, ask him if he ever got that rattle on the left side of the motor checked out properly, he he he he:spank::Flip::spank::Flip::spank::Flip:

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did he say no in a text message? Keep the history...

Write it all down with dates and file it all away, as others have said, just to cover yourself as best you can. At least it shows diligence after you found out the correct process.

I have only just deleted the history from the guy who bought my old 250 back in December. I had handed in the transfer forms and everything but you never know.

Actually pulled up next to him at a set of traffic lights, good to see he's looking after it ;)

If he still has your tag, AND, it's required you keep it (in the state of California), tell him to give it back or report the tag stolen.

At this point, he's refusing to give you your (actually the states) property back.

I'd do some detective work, run his phone # thru a reverse look up, a google search, at least get the tag back..

Don't report the bike stolen, its not, and it'll only get you in deeper $hit.

Last edited:

Champ1978

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, for a 15 dollar cell phone look up. I got his name.

My insurance agent told me his address probable isn't critical and DMV is likely to accept Unknown in that blank.

So, I do have information needed to fill out most of the form now.

FYI, I did not give him a receipt or bill of sale for the transaction.

This hassle has me a bit annoyed can't help but fantasize a bit about stating I sold him the bike for 50k so he is the one scrambling for paperwork he doesn't to avoid a tax bill over twice the price i sold the bike for.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, for a 15 dollar cell phone look up. I got his name.

My insurance agent told me his address probable isn't critical and DMV is likely to accept Unknown in that blank.

So, I do have information needed to fill out most of the form now.

FYI, I did not give him a receipt or bill of sale for the transaction.

This hassle has me a bit annoyed can't help but fantasize a bit about stating I sold him the bike for 50k so he is the one scrambling for paperwork he doesn't to avoid a tax bill over twice the price i sold the bike for.

Watch out - you state it for 50 and the IRS will think you owe them income tax on the 45k difference.