Did the seals on my r6 forks today

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I did my fork seals today. I used allballs seal kit and belray 10w oil. It was not to hard to do took about an hour. I purchased a seal drive from cycle gear and it work great. Also put carbon fiber fender on while i was there. will post some picks of fender soon. The seals were a uprade to stock they have 3 lips instead of 2.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You leave the bushings alone and just pop the seals? - just curious were they leaking and how many miles (approx) and what year were they from?

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes just removed fork internals and pop seal out followed a video on YouTube. Yes one was leaking. I don't know how many miles they are from a 06 I was told.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How much oil did you put in the forks? Wanting to put heavier oil in but not sure how much.

Its in here. . .

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/36842-somethin-black.html#post461560

>>SMACK>> PASTE. . . from another thread -

2012-02-11 My fleebay R6 Forks:
Oil is pretty clean for 3000 mile forks. It has a gray haze to it and blackness at the beakers bottom. Some metallic bits. . .
Spec says 490mL should have come out. I got 470mL.
Another observation is that the coil spring winding is supposed to be wound tighter at the top. Nada - equal throughout the entire coil.
As found:
Coil Dia= 4.72mm 0.186"
Coil spacing = 9.26mm .366" between coils
Free length = 252mm spec: >244 <249 (9.81" - 9.62")
Coil count: 7coils/10cm or 17 coils not counting ground ends.
REFILL: hahaha magically the 1 pint bottle is 473mL
Without the spring and spacers and washers in the way and with the tube collapsed it should measure from the top 106 mm (4.17 in).

Can someone please measure the coil dia and spacing in trade for fork oil numbers???? PS - I'd suggest 5wt oil if you do this! Yes, I used 10 but it shoulda been 5 and it'd have more adjustment.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
R6 forks are suppose to use Yamaha 01 oil that I think is less then most 5wt oils. With adjustable damper forks you use the adjustment to set damping. Using the recommended oil weight will give you the largest range of usable adjustments.