R6 usd fork seal replacement

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I changed the seals of my R6 forks last week, here is a write up for R6 modded Fz6 lovers:

I've bought Allballs fork seals and dust seals for $25

0yqobD.jpg

Then i uninstalled front wheel, fender and brakes to take out forks. (Later i painted the fender, i'll write it in an other thread)

M_09.jpg

I made a fork compression tool from pvc pipe joint. (should be min 51mm inside diameter and M8 bolts) Main difference from normal fork to usd fork is, you'll need a fork compressor to open the fork.

M_06.jpg

Then i opened the cap and flush all the oil inside.

M_10.jpg

This is how it looks using compressor and chain to stretch the upper part.

M_01.jpg

After dissambling the top part of the fork, you don't need the compressor anymore until you install everything back.

M_07.jpg

M_08.jpg

Uninstalling fork seal is easy with a screw driver.

M_11.jpg

Uninstaling dust seal is easier than all of them

M_12.jpg

Inside of the outer fork pipe, i used grease before putting on the new fork seal.

M_02.jpg

I used another pvc pipe joint which has 52mm outer diameter to put the fork seal back, i put a wood on it and used hammer softly.

Last edited:

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Before hammering photo

View attachment 67266

With the new fork seal on

View attachment 67267

I used two bottles of 5w fork oil. $5 each. According to service manual, 480ml for each fork is needed.

View attachment 67268

First fork was not easy, because dissambling the top cap has some tricks, but to do the second fork, took just one hour completely. Very easy after some experience.

Later i made an other compressor aparatus from steel pipe joint. This will be more solid for the next time i guess. According to service manual, inside diameter shoud be 55mm, mine is 58mm :) No problem.

View attachment 67269

Last edited: