Deciding on first bike, help!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking into next bike

Hey guys, first post and all! I'm looking to get my first bike this spring and was hoping to get some help from those who know what they're talking about. I've had probably less than 1000 miles on roadbikes but ive been riding off roaders since i was 10, so hopefully id like to consider myself slightly more skilled than somone whose never been on a bike before. Currently I've driven a Kawi Concours 1000 and a Kawi ZZR 1200, both rockets but i'm looking for something a bit lighter and cheaper. Recently i came across the FZ6 and it looks like my kind of bike, but i wanted to see what you guys had to say. As far as use, i kind of want an all rounder, good for commutes to work, or a quick evening joy ride, from what ive seen the fz6 looks like it fits the description, yamaha's description of course so i wanted to hear it from those who live with one every day. Reliability? Practicality? etc, basically the good the bad and the ugly
A big thanks ahead of time for any and all info u guys can give me!

Last edited:

fureinku

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Looking into next bike

fz6 is the perfect bike, you wont find another like it that makes this kind of power in the same class.. and handles as neutral..

if youre looking for cons that will make you sway from the fz6.. this is the wrong forum, if you want pros that reinforce your decision... welcome

i miss mine, you wont be dissapointed

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 is definitely fitting your description nicely. It'll absolutely do all of the things you listed very well.
It truly is an amazing bike and just about everything is a pro. Reliability is about as good as it gets from my own experience and from reading those of others.
As for cons.. the bike can be a bit buzzy at times. Pretty normal for a 600cc I4. Suspension is not adjustable (besides rear preload), but since you're looking for an inexpensive bike, other likely candidates wouldn't offer it either.
Based on what you want to use the bike for, I can't imagine you'll end up disappointed if you go with FZ6.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In addition to what's already been said. The FZ6 can thrash in the twisties and will definitely put a grin on your face. It really wakes up after 8k RPM and must be respected. A great bike to mod and a great looking bike to begin with.:D

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :welcome:

Let me put it this I am on my second FZ6 and love it even more than ever. That could also be because I have been modding it more than the first one. But I have used it to commute to work every day go on camping trips/long rides 200+ miles and in the twisties. It handles everything I have thrown at it and it can still give me more. I love it and it kills me that yamaha discontinued it.

The only bike that almost took me away from the FZ was the street triple I test rode. Man that street triple was a mean machine. I attached a photo of one not the one I rode

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Thanks a lot guys, lots of useful stuff, was looking around at used FZ6's around my area and found one for $4,000 with less than 2k on it i'm considering going to check it out very soon, and from what you guys have said, i'm even more pumped about this bike! :)

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:
Might have found a better deal, the one i was originally planning on looking at was an 07 with 3800 miles on it for 4k, i found an 09' with 4800 miles on it for 4800.... as far as model years is there much of a difference as to what you get on these bikes?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:
Might have found a better deal, the one i was originally planning on looking at was an 07 with 3800 miles on it for 4k, i found an 09' with 4800 miles on it for 4800.... as far as model years is there much of a difference as to what you get on these bikes?

2007 and up are all the same. 2004-2006 was original version.
07 and up comes with better front brakes, better looking swingarm (no idea if it's any better functionally), remapped ECU for less twitchy throttle and slightly different plastics. Nothing wrong with original version though.. loads of people here have them and love them.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd check out the new CBR250R. Sounds like a great bike as long as you're not real heavy. It would be great to start out on, looks sharp, and won't depreciate much. The FZ6 is great, but the powerband on the 250 single would be ideal for a newer rider on the street. If I wasn't 6'3", I'd pick one up. It would be a great as an everyday bike. The maintenance schedule on it is amazing. Probably cheaper to run than a scooter. You can even get it with ABS.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd check out the new CBR250R. Sounds like a great bike as long as you're not real heavy. It would be great to start out on, looks sharp, and won't depreciate much. The FZ6 is great, but the powerband on the 250 single would be ideal for a newer rider on the street. If I wasn't 6'3", I'd pick one up. It would be a great as an everyday bike. The maintenance schedule on it is amazing. Probably cheaper to run than a scooter. You can even get it with ABS.

While I love the new Honda and the Ninja 250, I wouldn't recommend either to someone who knows how to ride dirt bikes and has comfortably ridden Kawi Concours 1000 and a Kawi ZZR 1200.
Unless best fuel economy is the #1 factor, I think 250 is going to get old rather quickly. Just my opinion.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While I love the new Honda and the Ninja 250, I wouldn't recommend either to someone who knows how to ride dirt bikes and has comfortably ridden Kawi Concours 1000 and a Kawi ZZR 1200.
Unless best fuel economy is the #1 factor, I think 250 is going to get old rather quickly. Just my opinion.

The Honda is a single whereas the Ninja is a twin. I image that the Honda is a total slug and quickly out grown. Good looking bike however.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site

He merely said that he's ridden those bikes, but not necessarily comfortable on them. While I agree that having lots of dirt experience will make a rider grow as a street rider faster, I still am of the mind set that starting small for anyone is a good idea. It's really just a question of how fast you can graduate to a larger displacement bike. A good rider will outrun any one of us while on a 250cc Ninja.

Having said that, the FZ6 was my first street bike and I absolutely loved it. The great thing about a bike like this is that if you have the restraint to keep the rpms low, the engine won't bite you. It really only wakes up after 8k rpm, making it a suitable beginner bike that you can grow into easily with a little self control. I would NEVER recommend either of those liter bikes that you mentioned as beginner bikes let alone street bikes that aren't going to be used for the track. You will never get to use 90% of the potential of those on the street.

Which is where I summarize my feelings that the middle weight bikes 600-800cc are the perfect engine displacement for street use. The FZ6 was very reliable, easy to work on, an all around performer for touring and canyon carving, and has a strong following to advice when it comes to repairs, mods, maintenance. I only wish the Street Triple forums were as awesome as this one.:spank:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Looking into next bike

You need to take one for a ride. I love the FZ6. You may not (not many people DON'T like them though ;)).

Each to their own, but it is a very personal thing :)

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 was my first bike and I have to say im glad I didn't go with anything less. I had ridden everything from the Kawa 250 to GS500F, even a Sportster 883, don't judge me, and the FZ6 felt the best and most planted of them all.

A great looking bike with a casual or psycho mode on it is always fun when you're feeling frisky:BLAA:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a ton for the info guys, much appreciated, very nice to have people in a motorcycle forum that know motorcycles :)