Dealers can be so closed minded!

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You do have to be careful what type oil you put in your bike due to the wet clutch. Some oils have additives that break down the lining on the clutch plates. When I had my bike in for the 4K mile service, they had another bike in the shop that had a blown motor. The inspection showed the oil was trashed and full of clutch plate material that jacked up the motor when circulating through it.

Not sure if the oil you selected has this problem, but thought it might be good to let people know of the potential.
You only need to avoid oils that have "friction modifiers" such as a common 5w-30 (because of potential clutch slippage)... 10w-40 multigrade dino oils are also not recommended (because they quickly become 10w-25 (or less) due to the transmission shearing up the polymer chains)... Even so, you would be hard pressed to wreck your clutch with any oil unless of course that was you intention. I am willing to bet the owner of the above bike had more of a hand in blowing the motor than the type of oil he used....

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
I use Shell ROTELLA T Triple Protection 15W-40 in mine with no problems, but in defense of the mechanic, are we certain he is knowledgeable about non-motorcyle specific oils available? Maybe he simply doesn't know - hey I've seen it before.

Anyway, the following is a post I found regarding Shell Oil, specifically ROTELLA T. I would like to suggest the mechanic do his own research but it is probably best to just accommodate him. You can always change it back next time. =]

Quote:

Thanks for the opportunity to respond to your inquiry, and thanks for using Shell products.

ROTELLA T SAE 15W-40 and ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 are universal oils, meeting needs of many 4-stroke gasoline as well as most diesel engines. They have performance credentials (API Service Categories SL and CI-4 & CI-4 PLUS) for lubricating both kinds of engines. Consequently, ROTELLA T can be a good choice for four-stroke motorcycle/ATV engines.

It's best to consult your owner's manual for recommended oil quality. If your engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting any of these API Service Categories; CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 & CI-4 PLUS, and/or SH, SJ, and SL, or any earlier but obsolete category, then ROTELLA T may be a good choice.

ROTELLA T does not contain friction modifiers that are added to many passenger-car-only-oils, and it does not comply with all requirements of ILSAC GF-1, GF-2 and GF-3 (the ILSAC oil specifications are often recommended by many gasoline passenger car engine manufacturers). That can be good for motorcycle/ATV use. Friction modifiers can upset wet clutch operation. And the ILSAC requirements limit phosphorus content. Diesel engines and other engines with highly loaded valve trains, as well as transmissions, need extra (compared to passenger car engines)
extreme pressure wear protection, which is provided by an additive that contains phosphorus.

One negative might be where the engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting JASO requirements. Part of the JASO requirement limits ashcontent to 1.2%. Ash content of ROTELLA T exceeds this limit. Oil ash contributes to combustion chamber and spark plug deposits.

Best Regards,

Greg Raley=20
Tel: +1 281 544 8621=20
Email: [email protected]=20
Internet: The Shell global homepage - Global

End Quote

Also note from another email post:

Quote:

We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.
All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer

Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
Westhollow Technology Center
PO Box 4327
Houston, TX 77210
United States of America

End Quote

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
I use Shell ROTELLA T Triple Protection 15W-40 in mine with no problems, but in defense of the mechanic, are we certain he is knowledgeable about non-motorcyle specific oils available? Maybe he simply doesn't know - hey I've seen it before.

Anyway, the following is a post I found regarding Shell Oil, specifically ROTELLA T. I would like to suggest the mechanic do his own research but it is probably best to just accommodate him. You can always change it back next time. =]

Quote:

Thanks for the opportunity to respond to your inquiry, and thanks for using Shell products.

ROTELLA T SAE 15W-40 and ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 are universal oils, meeting needs of many 4-stroke gasoline as well as most diesel engines. They have performance credentials (API Service Categories SL and CI-4 & CI-4 PLUS) for lubricating both kinds of engines. Consequently, ROTELLA T can be a good choice for four-stroke motorcycle/ATV engines.

It's best to consult your owner's manual for recommended oil quality. If your engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting any of these API Service Categories; CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 & CI-4 PLUS, and/or SH, SJ, and SL, or any earlier but obsolete category, then ROTELLA T may be a good choice.

ROTELLA T does not contain friction modifiers that are added to many passenger-car-only-oils, and it does not comply with all requirements of ILSAC GF-1, GF-2 and GF-3 (the ILSAC oil specifications are often recommended by many gasoline passenger car engine manufacturers). That can be good for motorcycle/ATV use. Friction modifiers can upset wet clutch operation. And the ILSAC requirements limit phosphorus content. Diesel engines and other engines with highly loaded valve trains, as well as transmissions, need extra (compared to passenger car engines)
extreme pressure wear protection, which is provided by an additive that contains phosphorus.

One negative might be where the engine manufacturer recommends oil meeting JASO requirements. Part of the JASO requirement limits ashcontent to 1.2%. Ash content of ROTELLA T exceeds this limit. Oil ash contributes to combustion chamber and spark plug deposits.

Best Regards,

Greg Raley=20
Tel: +1 281 544 8621=20
Email: [email protected]=20
Internet: The Shell global homepage - Global

End Quote

Also note from another email post:

Quote:

We recently ran the JASO MA friction test on Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.
All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection 15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer

Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
Westhollow Technology Center
PO Box 4327
Houston, TX 77210
United States of America

End Quote

Thanks for sharing, great info. Glad someone actually got it strait up.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks brad81987 & mglowe for the excellent info. Looks like I'll wait for the Shell Rotella synthetic 5w-40 CJ-4 to be available since it's supposed to have less ash content. And, if it isn't yet available I'll try the petroleum Shell Rotella 15-40. SCREW what the Yamaha shop mechanic says. I don't live in that town anyway. Maybe somebody should airdrop 5,000 copies of this thread over his shop (but he probably can't read above 4th grade level).

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The inspection showed the oil was trashed and full of clutch plate material that jacked up the motor when circulating through it.

I highly doubt that clutch plate material will destroy an engine. Clutches wear, every time you start off, you slip your clutch. That material ends up in the oil. I killed the clutch in my CX500 in 1000 miles trying to perfect my launch. The engine is still running today, and I put another 38,000 miles on it and went through two more clutches. The dealer "inspection" of the oil was most likely just visual. An UOA will determine exactly what caused the failure.