Dangerous or not?

Do you think it's dangerous to listen to ipod/mp4 player while riding?

• Total voters
I don't think it's dangerous for an experienced rider. Riding safe is mostly a visual experience.
Now for the new rider still honing his Jedi skills... music pounding in his ears would be an added distraction.

Sound behaves in a certain manner based on the terrain, speed, distance, temp, and closing rate. It is not a effective tool for riding, driving, flying or anything moving at more than a walking pace and barely even then, and it requires a cane, and years of practice. Basicly as I see it your argument is that someone who has headphones on is a danger to you and your family. If that is the case, and by that reasoning people who are deaf should not be allowed to drive, or people with out hearing aids. It is not a argument that can be won. Talking on a hands free cell phone is fine too.

I agree that sound behaves differently depending on the medium it is traveling through. It also behaves differently with respect to the frequency as represented by the bass level of many high end stereos that do not need to be heard as they can be felt at distance. I disagree with the comparison to the deaf as they are not distracted by sound of any type where the person using the Ipod or MP3 could clearly be distracted by the improper use of the devise.

The human brain has the ability to select the point of focus and when necessary can selectively eliminate a distraction but it does take practice. Before using my Ipod on the bikes I drove around in my cage for a number of days getting used to it. I now find times when I am focused on the situation and don't even hear the music in terms of thought as it isn't part of my focus.
It's nice to use the Mp3 but I don't do it all the time because it also means I now have to feel everything or use the tachometer as I can't hear the engine.

Much like carrying on a conversation, eating a hamburger, using a C phone or any number of other distractions while operating a vehicle it all boils down to the operator.

OP = Original Poster or Original Post depending on the context

One thing is for sure, I ALWAYS use ear plugs when riding my dirt bike! Can anyone argue against that being a good idea? Hav?

OP = Original Poster or Original Post depending on the context

One thing is for sure, I ALWAYS use ear plugs when riding my dirt bike! Can anyone argue against that being a good idea? Hav?

You're darn tootin I can DI. With then dang ear plugs in the mud can't get in my ears and that just takes the fun out of it right????

I may be a tad weird, but listenin' to my motor is all the music I need, specially ridin' in the twisties.

That's the problem, it ain't music, it's noise and it's so distractive. Now, music on the other hand enhances concentration.......

Since I've got a bit more experience riding and listening to music now, I'll comment.

I find that the faster I go, the less I hear the music anyway. Between the increased wind noise and my mind focusing purely on the road ahead, when I'm above a ton or so, I don't hear the music at all. Strangely, when I slow down to around 80 - bam! it all comes back at once at the 'normal' volume. I can repeat this over and over although it doesn't work as well if I'm thinking about it.

Going slow the music doesn't bother me much either. In fact, it may help a bit since it keeps me from thinking about work or other stuff at the same time. Does that make sense?

Some info for you guys:

Here is a link to earphones that are pro audio. These things use the standard 1/8" stereo jack and have excellent sound isolation. Not only do they isolate well but they stay in your ear as they are designed for in ear monitoring systems for Stage use. If they stay in the ear of a guitar player rocking out on stage then they will stay in your ears when they are stuck inside your helmet.

Shure - E2c Sound Isolating Earphones

It' all a matter of how much risk you are willing to accept. Yes it is more dangerous with them then without them. the more you have going on around you, the more you have to ditract you. I believe it is up to the individual to way out how much risk is acceptable. depends on what you are listening to also so, if you listen to soothing elevator music it may actually slow you down, if you listen to head banging load motivational music, you will tend to drive as fast as it.

How much are you willing to risk???

anybody here ever heard of a head check?

Its when you turn your head to see if people are being ridiculous about headphones :p

lol... I am a sound guy so I tend to get carried away when it comes to audio.

actually that was a general statement, the Shures are really nice if you got the $$$$$$$$. I got 2 pairs of Razor in ear headphones with a few of the diff sized squishy parts to get a good seal and I can definitely tell the diff in sound when riding. I got them from woot.com during a wootoff 2 pairs for 25$

a nice cheap way to get down the db's even if I dont listen to music with them

By the way. I don't ride with buds in but I have considered it in the past. If I am going to ride with tunes it will be me singing with my breath blowing back in my face. However if I do ride with buds it will be with my shures.

Yamaspeed, I would not use Shures while riding. With my moderate cheapy buds its not such a biggie when I rip off a bud and need new ones. If I ripped my $300 headphones i might be seen crying

I'm with the sensible level crowd... Music is fine so long as you can still hear traffic around you. Same with cars... I don't get the whole massive stereo system and trunk sized sub systems... I want to hear what's around me cause it makes me a better and more responsible driver.

just a recap on this topic; I tried riding to work with my mp3 player and it was kinda a bust, due to the wind noise at freeway speeds you can't hear the music anyways. I'll stick to my ear plugs.

Back