Damsel in Distress!

MandyJo98

Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Good Evening All!

Long story short, I'm from Texas and the low tomorrow will be 17F. Pretty chilly for Austin weather. I'm always on top of it each winter, checking my antifreeze in my jeep and when I decided to check my engine coolant for my bike.. well it's not as easy. When I purchased my bike, I was not given the manual so I just downloaded one online. However, while going through the pictures on the manual, I could not seem to figure out exactly where it was. No, I promise I'm not blonde :confused: lol I'm trying to learn everything on my own but it's not going out so well. So I need your help! Where exactly is my coolant resevoir and how should I go about this? I was thinking about purchasing a hydrometer to just check on my coolant for the meantime and change it when I get more time and cash.

As for now, I just unbolted my gas tank hoping it was somehow seen under there, but no, just my battery I encountered. All help is greatly appreciated!!!

MandyJo98

Reaction score
www.myspace.com
Thank you all and yes I searched all the forums and I did find where I can drain my coolant from, but I just can't seem to find where I can check the levels and/or where I place the coolant on the actual bike. Should I be looking for a twist off knob?

alittletoored

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, just got back from a trip to Austin a few weeks ago. It is a really awesome place for new years. To get to the reservoir, the easiest way is to lift the tank like you did. It is on the right side of the bike on the inside of the frame rails. Really close to where the back of the tank connects to the bike.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 06, you can see the reservoir on the right side of the bike, under the seat next to the exhaust pipe that comes up from the headers. I hope this helps!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi MandyJo

Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2005>FZ6STC FZ6>SIDE COVER

This link is on the Ron Ayers web site. If you look at part #8 in the pictorial you'll see it's called a recovery tank. It holds your coolant when it expands from temperature. This is what I believe you're looking for. If I remember correctly you should see this little opaque white container from one side or the rear of the bike. You'll see a green/pink/or yellow fluid in the container. I could be wrong in it's location but this is where you want to take your coolant sample. I believe most bike manufacturers do a 50/50 mix of water to antifreeze. This may not be good enough for extreme cold storage. You might want to change the ratio for extreme cold storage and return it to the 50/50 ration when it's time to ride again.
It's good that you're thinking this way because as you might know , when it gets cold enough the coolant can expand and crack the block or another costly component.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mukulu

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
On my 2006, it is at the front of the engine, right hand side, just behind the headers. It does have a window for checking the level, but I cant tell by looking at mine. I have to take the top off and dip something in.

thieu

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe most bike manufacturers do a 50/50 mix of water to antifreeze. This may not be good enough for extreme cold storage. You might want to change the ratio for extreme cold storage and return it to the 50/50 ration when it's time to ride again.
It's good that you're thinking this way because as you might know , when it gets warm cold enough the coolant can expand and crack the block or another costly component.

Good luck!

As long as the coolant is not too old (5+ years at least) and not burnt from over temp riding (burnouts) the 50/50 mix is just fine. In ontario we have had a week of below 0 deg F and 50/50 is all that we have up here in all of our stuff, the coldest day so far being -17 F!!! everything still liquid like it should be!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the coolant is not too old (5+ years at least) and not burnt from over temp riding (burnouts) the 50/50 mix is just fine. In ontario we have had a week of below 0 deg F and 50/50 is all that we have up here in all of our stuff, the coldest day so far being -17 F!!! everything still liquid like it should be!

Exactly! Burrrrrr!!!!! :eek: -17F !!!!
That's what I believe she's interested in. Better to check it with a hydrometer to see what temp the fluid is good to.

You should check the fluid at the recovery tank/bottle.