Curse you, oil filter!

sanguines

Reaction score
Visit site
Soooo... During a oil and filter change, my oil filter was stuck on my 07 fz6. I mean, it must have been put on by He-Man. Oil filter cup wrench didn't work, including with sticky tape. Then, the screwdriver method, which has worked in the past...mangled the filter, leaving just a little casing and the base.

Is there a tool that will remove the twisted remains of my old filter?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
I did an oil change in December.
I was almost to the point were the cup wrench wasn't working.
I was like WTF? This worked before!
I was going to use the brutal screwdriver method, but then I got a metal pipe and placed it on the end of the wrench, effectively extending the wrench handle. I think this is called mechanical leverage or mechanical advantage, I forget --and I don't feel like googling.
Anyways, I was able to get the filter off by pressing the cup onto the filter REALLY hard with one hand, since by this time the filter had mostly been rounded off, and with the other hand I was able to apply force on the end of my makeshift, extended wrench.

Are you able to do what I described above? Or is your filter past the point of no return?

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
plier-filter-wrench.jpg

Look for this at your local auto parts store... it should remove your mangled filter. I suggest looking for metal fragments in the oil passages...use a magnet to remove any fragments.

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
By the sounds of it there isnt any filter left, i think your up the creek, it may be time to resort to hammer and chiesel.

sanguines

Reaction score
Visit site
All that's left is the filter base and a small piece of the casing. Those big pliers may do the trick if I can get them on the base. I'll have to look into it.

RedFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Also you can remove the front sprocket cover that is held by three allen bolts in case you need to gain more access clearance to the filter.
Good luck.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I tell ya, I hear this at least a few times every year. In fact, I snapped a filter wrench when trying to get the filter off my car; I think I had a bad angle. I wonder what's the best way to prevent it. I'm going to see if I can loosen my oil filter BEFORE doing an oil change next time; if I cannot get it off, it's going in the shop and I'll blame them if they have trouble.

I think I'm going to start just tightening by hand and then using a tool to snick it up just a tiny bit more. Of course, I'll do what everyone says and line the rubber with oil before twisting.

To the original poster, I hope the big pliers works. And I agree with RedFZ6 to remove the front sprocket cover to get more room. I think move all you can so you can get good access and good turning angle. I think force applied in just the right angle will help a lot.

Good luck,

Dennis

RedFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
And do yourself a favor and buy a K&N oil filter next time you change the oil, it has a welded nut so you can remove it easily.

KN-138.jpg

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'm going to start just tightening by hand and then using a tool to snick it up just a tiny bit more. Of course, I'll do what everyone says and line the rubber with oil before twisting

Dennis

Hand tighten ONLY! Resist the temptation to over do it or you'll end up needing the over sized nutcrackers.

Davey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hand tighten ONLY! Resist the temptation to over do it or you'll end up needing the over sized nutcrackers.

So true! Been there and had to use the screw driver method which just makes a mess of everything! Hand tighten, check regularly for leaks and re-tighten and top up the oil if necessary. I've never had any problems since using this method.

The big 'nut-cracker' oil filter wrench works to get them off, but if you are putting on a new filter it risks damaging it so use a cloth to protect it.

Oh, and +1 on the K&N Oil filter with the nut!

SirG

Reaction score
Visit site

I know this is not a solution to get the old one off but it is exactly right and will prevent the problem next time. Use some oil on your finger and well wet the rubber seal on the new filter and hand tight. NO tools and even hand tight can be to much. Just snug it up.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, been through this two times with new cars.
The first was an Impala many years ago. The filter was so tight it would not budge no matter what I tried. As a last resort, I drove a screw drive through the filter to turn it off.
"Big mistake". The filter tore in half and I had a situation on my hands. Took me a day and one half to get it off, if I remember correctly.
Next time I had this problem it was a new Toyota truck. Because of my experience with the Impala, I decided to take it to the Toyota dealership and let them get it off.
I walked into the garage area because I wanted to see how they would get it off.
The young tech. used a long screwdriver and drove the tip of the screwdriver between the seal of the filter and the smooth machined base on the engine.
Once the seal was broken, the filter came right off.
He said this was normal procedure for removing stuck oil filters.
I know that machined surfaces must be dealt with carefully and not gouged or scratched but, if this procedure is done carefully, it will not scratch the oil seal machined surface on the engine.
Use this procedure as a last resort and carefully align the tip angle of the screwdriver parallel with seal surface on the engine.
If you are in a fix, this will work.
good luck, ice

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, been through this two times with new cars.
The first was an Impala many years ago. The filter was so tight it would not budge no matter what I tried. As a last resort, I drove a screw drive through the filter to turn it off.
"Big mistake". The filter tore in half and I had a situation on my hands. Took me a day and one half to get it off, if I remember correctly.
Next time I had this problem it was a new Toyota truck. Because of my experience with the Impala, I decided to take it to the Toyota dealership and let them get it off.
I walked into the garage area because I wanted to see how they would get it off.
The young tech. used a long screwdriver and drove the tip of the screwdriver between the seal of the filter and the smooth machined base on the engine.
Once the seal was broken, the filter came right off.
He said this was normal procedure for removing stuck oil filters.
I know that machined surfaces must be dealt with carefully and not gouged or scratched but, if this procedure is done carefully, it will not scratch the oil seal machined surface on the engine.
Use this procedure as a last resort and carefully align the tip angle of the screwdriver parallel with seal surface on the engine.
If you are in a fix, this will work.
good luck, ice

A bit like opening a big bottle of cola. Those buggers are hard to open as well until you break that seal.

Steve

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
All that's left is the filter base and a small piece of the casing. Those big pliers may do the trick if I can get them on the base. I'll have to look into it.

Just please do not scratch the sealing surface of your block for the oil filter gasket!

sanguines

Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Sorry for the terrible iPhone pictures, and I know, it's super grimy. This is where it's at now. I got some big pliers, and I still can't budge it. I'm gonna try the "tap the screwdriver through to break the seal" trick, and if it doesn't work.... I don't know what I'll do! :eek:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang, there isn't much left of that filter!

If you're uneasy about doing it yourself, could you bribe a local Yamaha mechanic with a 6-pack to swing by after work and help you get it loose? Might be worth it rather than risk damaging the engine block...

That's what I would do. I've spent many nights undoing the damage I've done to my cars with situations like this. After lots of headaches, I'm not too proud to call in help before it gets bad.

Last edited:

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Easy fix to your problem. I have one of those oil filter cap wrenches the one that fits over the filter. I had one heck of a time getting the filter off it just kept slipping, so I took a 5/16 inch self drilling screw and drilled it through the cap and filter. Then just backed the filter off with out any oil comming from the filter. The next time I had to change the oil I just used the same hole with a self drilling screw and the filter just back off with out a hitch. Good luck. :cheer:

Doc