Crash test unintended, but here's the results

grimjaw

Reaction score
Visit site
On 11/8, I hopped on my FZ6 for a short ride to Hot Springs, AR, and back. About 3/4 of the way there while entering an easy turn at a speed I am very comfortable with 98% of the time, I had a mental lockup. I stopped looking at the road at started telling myself I wasn't going to make the turn, and my bike followed my eyes off the road. I high-sided off the right side of the road at approximately 40mph. I didn't hit asphalt but did encounter some gravel on the initial hit, almost all on my hands and upper body. I think I slid for 30-40 feet down a slight incline before coming to a rest at a line of bramble and bushes.

I could tell right away that my right arm was busted but not how bad. My left thumb also hurt but not bad enough that I couldn't move it. Ended up being limited to just my hands/wrists. Broken metacarpal in left thumb, could have been fixed just with a cast and time but opted for surgery and a plate to have a hand back quicker while right heals.

Right wrist was demolished (see photos) and is currently housing an erector set. However, there was NO abrasion damage, no road rash at all. Outside of a rough spot on the inside of my lower lip, from when my helmet impacted the ground at the chin (which has since healed), I suffered no other injury. Not even a bruise or soreness. Call it luck for the most part, but I can't help but think the gear had a least a little to do with it.

I had on the following.

HJC CL16 helmet
Tour Master Coaster 2 leather jacket
Draggin' Jeans
Troy Lee Designs T-Bone knee guards and padded impact shorts
Shift Kicker shoes
Rev'It Giri gloves

The gloves were chewed up but I really think that since they strap down with velcro over the wrist, that prevented it from being a compound break. You could clearly see my ulna poking up under my skin after they cut the gear off.

The jacket is toast, of course, because they cut it to pieces getting it off of me. It didn't look bad otherwise. The pants are still good to go, as are the TLD pieces and the shoes. I'll probably replace the HJC with one just like it. It was scratched but not cracked.

photos:

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing! right hand xray
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing! right hand in ER
in the x-ray it kinda looks like Wolverine | Flickr - Photo Sharing! right hand following surgery
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing! left hand xray
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing! left hand following surgery
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing! retrieved bike following wreck

Let mine be a cautionary tale: the bike will go where you look so keep your eyes on the road. :(

At least now I don't have to worry about tracing the leak in my gas tank.

jm

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Ooooooohhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5167339748_16be8d2f65_b.jpg

5172948222_466e6a94d6_b.jpg

Let mine be a cautionary tale: the bike will go where you look so keep your eyes on the road. :(

When it comes time to turn, TURN!!!! Easier said than done, I know. Glad you're on the mend. Geeze.

So do you think there is anything you can do to decrease the chances of a "mental lock up" like this again? Perhaps do a handful of track days so that you get even more comfortable turning at higher speeds...will make street riding seem very calm and under control in comparison. You can also practice looking where you want to go when drivng a car and even walking down a busy/crowded sidewalk :D. Good luck.

Last edited:

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, glad you are relatively okay bro. How long ago did this happen?

Word of advice: Even if the doctor doesn't mention it, bring up physical therapy and make sure you GO to therapy! You'll thank me later.:thumbup:

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Not quite sure what 'mental lockup' is, but if one finds themselves in a corner at a too hot of speed the best way to get through it is 'look through the corner to its exit, lean the bike over further (NO BRAKES), and believe that you will make it'. You will almost always come through with no problems as the machinery has a higher capability than the rider.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Not quite sure what 'mental lockup' is, but if one finds themselves in a corner at a too hot of speed the best way to get through it is 'look through the corner to its exit, lean the bike over further (NO BRAKES), and believe that you will make it'. You will almost always come through with no problems as the machinery has a higher capability than the rider.

What he is referring to is that it is human nature to get scared mid-corner when you realize you are in too hot and look at something other than the road and target fix. Then, where you look is where you are going, and you'll end up going wide in the turn.

In an ideal world we all would be able to do what you are saying.

grimjaw

Reaction score
Visit site

Evitzee, you're absolutely right. The turn was marked 40mph, and I was probably going between 55-60mph (indicated). Bright sunshine in the middle of the day, with a good well-paved road and no gravel or potholes. I had already been taking turns on that road several times at slightly faster speeds with no unease or difficulty. I have no good explanation for the error other than mental lockup.

I'd blame it on being new to the FZ6, but I had the same thing happen at even lower speeds (25mph in a turn marked 30mph) on my Ninja, but managed to stay on and upright. I'd been on the Ninja a long time by then.

DefyInertia, I wish we had local closed tracks nearby, but the only ones I know of are dirt or drag strips.

Last edited:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch. Sorry to hear. Glad you geared up. Good onya for using the knee protection to go with the draggins. Draggins are great but the lack of armour is their only down fall.

May or may not help if their is a next time (gawd I hope not), but before I enter a turn, I am committed. If I'm just chugging along, then I might try and stand it up, and brake, but if I'm going for a blat, then I give myself no option. I am mentally pre-prepared that I'm gonna try to get that bike round the turn no matter how hard I seem to be going. Especially on roads I don't know and find a decreasing radius corner.

As for mentally locking up....were you on the way home? Sometimes if you go halfhearted on the way home you will tend to relax a little.....sometimes too much. Best off going hard all the way, or backing right off. These are my pearls of wisdom for the day.

Heal up quick mate.:thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're a prime example of ATGATT. It could have been a lot worse.

So glad you are not seriously injured and that you will heal up in time.

Good luck with the recovery :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! Good luck with recovery. Sounds like your mental state is good. That's very important.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the info on how the accident happened. Hopefully your advice will prevent somebody else making a similar mistake in the future. Glad you're on the mend. You are another prime example of walking away (relatively) unscathed because of wearing ATGATT.

What are your plans for the bike? Is your insurance writing it off? Are you gonna attempt a rebuild?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch! Man that looks painful, to say the least. I hope you heal up quickly and fully.

bugsterkiton

Reaction score
Visit site
Oups!!! Happy to see that you keep a very good mental after this "crashtest". Don't forget to practice physical therapy and I wish you the best for a quick and easy recovery.

grimjaw

Reaction score
Visit site
What are your plans for the bike? Is your insurance writing it off? Are you gonna attempt a rebuild?

Unfortunately I was only carrying liability at the time of the wreck. :(

It starts and runs. The forks were slightly misaligned but not warped. The handlebars are bent, and of course the fairing is trashed. There's a slight crack in the crankcase cover on the left side. The gas tank isn't leaking and doesn't appear cracked but it is dented hard on the left side. The plastic cover on the left side just below the seat was sheared off and I haven't tried to reattach it yet. The grab bar on the left side has some gouges in it. Other than that so far it seems OK, just some scratches.

It's going to depend on how much function I get back in my hands/wrists, and the cost of repair. The repairs are within my ability to DIY. The engine is likely undamaged. If the fairing wasn't blocking the handlebars and they were a little straighter, you could probably take it for a ride on a closed track today. The instrument cluster is functioning. It seems like a shame to sell it if I can get it working again, but I have school to finish, I'm on short term disability while my arm heals (reduced income) and I have another bike. We'll see how my enthusiasm holds up after it's been sitting in my driveway for a year. I really did like the bike, but it can be replaced.

Last edited:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear you went down, but glad to hear you're doing OK.

I've broken both of my wrists from these types of incidents before, and I know how much it sucks. Take your time and let yourself heal properly before you do anything too crazy.

Did you have frame sliders? I've had really good experiences with them and felt like they minimized damage to little things like scratches, and no damage to the motor or frame.

I went down to Hot Springs just a few weeks ago with another forum member here. Where are you located in Arkansas? The other forum member and I live in Russellville, and we have gone down Hwy 7 (which is the road I'm assuming you were on) a few times.

Last edited:

grimjaw

Reaction score
Visit site
dturpen, the bike did have frame sliders and I do believe they helped.

I live in Little Rock until I'm done with school. I've taken a ride or two along highway 10 to Oklahoma and from Magazine up to the Lost Valley area, along with trips through Heber Springs on my way to northeast Arkansas. Assuming I get to ride again, it'd be great to hook up for a jaunt.

Thanks for the well wishes, everybody.

jm

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's to a speedy recovery.

Every time I hear or read about these types of wrecks, I realize how lucky I was to walk/ride away from my 50mph wreck with "only" some dislocated and broken fingers.

*whew*

Again, good luck and recover quick!

grimjaw

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm back in the saddle again, as the saying goes. My last x-ray showed I have a one piece radius, finally. I still have some less range than I did before the accident, but it has so far not affected my ability to ride. To anyone who goes through something like this, I can't stress enough how beneficial it was to do the home exercises. It's often painful, but pays off in the end.

Working on getting the FZ street legal again. Thanks for all the well-wishes. :thumbup:

jm

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm back in the saddle again, as the saying goes. My last x-ray showed I have a one piece radius, finally. I still have some less range than I did before the accident, but it has so far not affected my ability to ride. To anyone who goes through something like this, I can't stress enough how beneficial it was to do the home exercises. It's often painful, but pays off in the end.

Working on getting the FZ street legal again. Thanks for all the well-wishes. :thumbup:

jm

Glad to hear you're doing well again brotha. Told you PT was the key to your recovery ;)