Crankcase Replacement

sjk625

Reaction score
Visit site
I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I scratched my crankcase a while ago and have finally gotten around to replacing it. I drained the oil and removed the bolts holding it in place. I didn't know anything was attached to the cover, and now I am stuck. Does anyone know what size the heads of the bolts attaching the parts to the crankcase cover? Is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks in advance, Steve.

not something I have ever attempted Steve, but the manual should have a pretty good diagram to help you out. Have you looked at it? If you haven't already you can download it on this forum.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I scratched my crankcase a while ago and have finally gotten around to replacing it. I drained the oil and removed the bolts holding it in place. I didn't know anything was attached to the cover, and now I am stuck. Does anyone know what size the heads of the bolts attaching the parts to the crankcase cover? Is there anything else I should be aware of? Thanks in advance, Steve.

Funny...y name is Steve and I started doing the exact same thing this weekend for exactly the same reason...and then stopped.

Mine is the left crankcase as you sit on the bike.

Like you I drained the oil and changed the filter while I was at it. I undid all the bolts and unclipped the electrical securing rubber at the top.

Now I must admit at this point that I am not mechanically minded and thought it was a just a cover that needed replacing. One off and one on sort of thing.

I tried to take the cover off but it felt like it was held on inside by a big spring. I carried on trying and it came away. Still attached to the bike by the electrical lead which is fastened inside the case. The "Big spring" is actually a huge magnet which someone in the know will tell me what it is.

Inside the case is a circle of copper coils. In the engine is a 2 wheeled cog held in place by a pin. Be careful because they come out very easily.

The screws on mine are like a star with about 8 points. I do not know what the English word is for it.

As it turned out it did not matter because I could not undo any of these screws nomatter how I tried. They must have put them in with an air gun. Which is strange because the casing is cast.

Anyway I put it all back together as I found it and took it for a test run and it runs great.

I will get someone with more experience than me to fix this in the Spring.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the diagram, that does help, does anyone know what kind of tool to use to move the bolts? They are not a metric allen key, or torx, so i'm not sure what tool to try next.

is this to fix the famous "i dropped in the driveway mod"??? this happened to me about 6 month into owning my bike and really would love to fix it to make it look clean again.

Thanks for the diagram, that does help, does anyone know what kind of tool to use to move the bolts? They are not a metric allen key, or torx, so i'm not sure what tool to try next.

I just used an allen key to do mine so maybe you are working on the other side of the bike or have a different model.

The problem comes when you get the cover off.

Maybe this will be the first mod for 2009 ;)

Steve

so too replace just the cover is a pain due to 1 and 6 being stuck to the cover.that blows :confused:

They are not "Stuck" as in glued but they are fastened in really tight. So much so that I cannot shift them.

I will wait until the spring and get my mechanic to it when he does the yearly service. I think you would need an air gun to move them.

Steve

I replaced mine about 3 months ago, I don't remember the size, but they were on there really tight. I thought I was going to snap them off, but I didn't. Hang in there, you'll get it.:cheer: Oh, and the pin and cog gear thingy kept falling out of mine. It really was much harder than I thought it would be. I was thinking it would be like a 10 minute job, I mean I'm just swapping covers, right? ;)

Lol I thought the same thing once I started, just remove the cover and replace, then the pin and cog fell on the ground, then I saw everything else attached. For clarification regarding other posts, I wasn't talking about removing the cover itself, that was easy, I was inquiring about removing the parts attached to the cover.

yea, im still interested in how to get this done, but maybe ill do what denmark is doing and just have the dealer replace it when i go in for my maint this year. might as well have them do it and go through all the bs of it.

It looks complicated at first, but it's really pretty simple. You just have to switch a few parts over to the new cover, I just need to find the right tool to remove the bolts.

I just replaced mine tonite. The bolts on the inside are a size T30 star.(I think as long as the holder it was in was labled correctly). The bolts are tight I just used a 1/4" socket and put the star tip in it for more leverage. I did replace the gasket also I was wondering if anyone knows if any additional gasket glue is needed there was a little on the new gasket but not sure if enough. I am use to working on cars and always using it so any info would be appriciated. If not I guess I will find out when I get it running again. (have the gas tank off getting painted)

I noticed that there was some threadlock on the torx screws when I finally got them out. It takes a decent amount of force to get them loose!

Back