Cracked Fairing, Ideas for cover plate material

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
So, this happened a few weeks back. Rode the bike to school and it got bumped into at some point. The bump put stress on the fairing, which we know is secured by this bolt on to the bracket coming off of the frame, and (especially with the washers I have on there) it cracked the fairing. Luckily I didn't lose the piece, and was able to super glue it to hold for now. But it won't last, and I can't match that paint even if I did make it last (IE fiberglass backing), so I was thinking I'd make a "cover plate" that went in the corner here, and make a matching one for the other side. Here's the pics of what happened, and what I'm thinking:

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2761a.jpg

I'd like to make it go up and around the edge of the fairing as well, at least on the top edge, like this:

IMG_2762a.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? What could I work with that could be molded by hand, but still dry hard enough to have the bolt and washer hold it on, and not deteriorate with weather?

I've got a few ideas, but figured I'd see if anyone else had any. Maybe someone has done something like this on another bike at some point?

Thanks all,

Loren

KB2WYL

CQ CQ, DE KB2WYL
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like what he does in the second part, making the mold for completely broken pieces...I was probably a few miles from this, when I touched it in the garage, it fell off. I might well try that, but I would like to see if I can find a solution without pulling the fairing off. If I pull the whole fairing, then I just GOTTA take off the triples and get to PCing them Blah...What I was thinking as well, was that if I had the covers, matching on both sides, then it sort of looks like it's supposed to be there as some aftermarket "fairing protector". Plus, if I can figure out covering it and having the cover come up and over the edge at the top, then it really looks like that, because it "hooks in" and then that one OEM bolt placement is plenty to hold it...

I wonder what I could do using his mold technique...Easy enough to make the mold, fill it, and then add a little in a second operation to the edges. The hard part is that it's convex, and a mold would just fill and level off. I thought about using a piece of aluminum, bending, and then TIGing the edge, but although I'm getting pretty good that's one heck of a TIG operation to get the edge built up :rolleyes:

Loren