Could use some advice!

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
The ninja isnt even an option for me.. i was quoted for 4000 a year for full coverage... that is waaaaaaay too much for me when i would try to pay that much for the bike it self..

That is absurd. Try getting a quote on a pre-2008 Ninja 250. These years of the Ninja 250 were actually designated EX250 which in many cases will lower the insurance rates tremendously just because it doesn't include "Ninja" or "R" which will automatically make insurance companies cringe.

I know that I pay more for insurance on my FZ6 than I did on my 2003 Ninja 250. I find it hard to believe that you would be quoted more. But it may be because the newer models (2008+) are designated "Ninja 250R".

Finally, the FZ6R is a better starter bike than the FZ6, but is still very powerful for a beginner. The good thing about the 250 is you can accidentally gun it and not be catapulted off the back of the bike. If you are riding along at 7K RPM in first gear on the FZ6 and you accidentally give it too much throttle, you would be surprised how quickly it will spit you right off.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider myself i bought a 2007 fz6 in feb 2012, for the same reason I commute 50 miles each way to work and a 250 wasn't going to cut it for 210lbs 6'3 21 year old, I do recommend this for a first bike. I'm not doing this recommendation based on the bike to your size but the questions you asked because I had the same exact ones.

As you stated your not trying to do anything crazy that would make this bike for you, keep the rpms below 8k and she is a crushing machine learn the bike for a few months and a few thousand miles then start playing above the 8k range.

I bought an s2 for 3000 and it ha never been dropped so your in the right price range, I'd recommend the s2 also, it is not about the size of this bike it's about the rider ride smart and ride the way you were taught and this will be a good choice for you.

Make sure you get a good set of gear it's the only thing that protects you in a fall.

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
That is absurd. Try getting a quote on a pre-2008 Ninja 250. These years of the Ninja 250 were actually designated EX250 which in many cases will lower the insurance rates tremendously just because it doesn't include "Ninja" or "R" which will automatically make insurance companies cringe.

I know that I pay more for insurance on my FZ6 than I did on my 2003 Ninja 250. I find it hard to believe that you would be quoted more. But it may be because the newer models (2008+) are designated "Ninja 250R".

Finally, the FZ6R is a better starter bike than the FZ6, but is still very powerful for a beginner. The good thing about the 250 is you can accidentally gun it and not be catapulted off the back of the bike. If you are riding along at 7K RPM in first gear on the FZ6 and you accidentally give it too much throttle, you would be surprised how quickly it will spit you right off.

now the quote i got for the ninja is almost 5 times what i got for the fz6 but like i said before i was advise not to get a 250 since ill be on the highway a lot.. and honestly i feel like i was comfortable enough on a bike that i wouldnt be entertained for long on one.. also i really hate how the pre 2008 ninjas look... i could get one for around 1500 but i just hate how that seat looks.. and the colors are... umm... ****...

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a new rider myself i bought a 2007 fz6 in feb 2012, for the same reason I commute 50 miles each way to work and a 250 wasn't going to cut it for 210lbs 6'3 21 year old, I do recommend this for a first bike. I'm not doing this recommendation based on the bike to your size but the questions you asked because I had the same exact ones.

As you stated your not trying to do anything crazy that would make this bike for you, keep the rpms below 8k and she is a crushing machine learn the bike for a few months and a few thousand miles then start playing above the 8k range.

I bought an s2 for 3000 and it ha never been dropped so your in the right price range, I'd recommend the s2 also, it is not about the size of this bike it's about the rider ride smart and ride the way you were taught and this will be a good choice for you.

Make sure you get a good set of gear it's the only thing that protects you in a fall.

I have helmet jacket and gloves already.. they arents the best.. but they are one the top of the list for upgrades... im alreayding looking at some kevlar pants... and i need to get better gloves right away.. i bought dirt bike gloves not knowing better and thinking ill be on a supermoto... they are ok but i would want better protection on my hands if i was on the highway.. atleast my jacket is not that bad.. even tho its not leather...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going to predict the future by summing up the next ~15 replies :D :

* Few will say that this is A LOT of bike to start on. It has a LOT of power and the clutch is not very forgiving.

* Many will say that they started on this bike and had no problems at all (and many did drop them at one point or another).

Time to buy ErciTellsTheFuture.com :rof:

Do NOT skimp on gear!! If you get good stuff, chances are you'll keep it a lot longer than any given motorcycle. Remember that any exposed skin can equate to road rash, should you ever be in a crash. MX gloves are useless, unless you never crash.. get leather gauntlet gloves. Make sure your jacket zips into your riding pants, so they don't separate (exposing skin) in a crash. Get proper riding boots (taller than working boots, built in protection, no laces, built in forward lean). It's worth it!!

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
Time to buy ErciTellsTheFuture.com :rof:

Do NOT skimp on gear!! If you get good stuff, chances are you'll keep it a lot longer than any given motorcycle. Remember that any exposed skin can equate to road rash, should you ever be in a crash. MX gloves are useless, unless you never crash.. get leather gauntlet gloves. Make sure your jacket zips into your riding pants, so they don't separate (exposing skin) in a crash. Get proper riding boots (taller than working boots, built in protection, no laces, built in forward lean). It's worth it!!

yeah i know this stuff now... i was an idiot and started buying **** before i went to my classes... and then i realized that i had bought crap... my helmet is pretty good.. and the jacket isnt leather but its a pretty good Joe Rocket one... im looking at gloves as we speak.. and pants are on the list... honestly i know that boots are important... but i wouldnt be motivated to use them unless it is a long ride.. i cant really wear boots when im on campus for 12hrs.. i would wear them to a nub just walking around...

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had all manner of bikes - and yes, 250 Ninja and it is no slouch for such a small bike. Having said that, the biggest concern for a new rider is when the panic button is pushed and a powerful bike does not forgive. That is the reason so many advise to start with a bike that does not respond so quickly. Have you looked at a used Ninja 650? Still a lot of power, but does not hit so hard as the rpm's come up - much more predictable power band.
And, it large enough bike for your size....Then get your FZ6!

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have had all manner of bikes - and yes, 250 Ninja and it is no slouch for such a small bike. Having said that, the biggest concern for a new rider is when the panic button is pushed and a powerful bike does not forgive. That is the reason so many advise to start with a bike that does not respond so quickly. Have you looked at a used Ninja 650? Still a lot of power, but does not hit so hard as the rpm's come up - much more predictable power band.
And, it large enough bike for your size....Then get your FZ6!
my insurance get insane if its a sports bike so i have been avoiding them...

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
and pants are on the list... honestly i know that boots are important... but i wouldnt be motivated to use them unless it is a long ride.. i cant really wear boots when im on campus for 12hrs.. i would wear them to a nub just walking around...

First: :welcome: to our great forum family

Second: Whatever bike you end up with, look at getting bags or a trunk, then you'll be able to stow the gear in it while you're in class.
A good pair of overpants are a smart investment, then you'll be able to wear jeans to class instead of riding pants.
I have a pair of Nitro boots that look like tennis shoes, and they are as comfortable.

Third: I gotta ask where in Colorado are you??

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
im not going to say whether or not the bike is good for you. personally i wish there was a bike the size of a 250 with a 400cc engine that cost about what a new 250 does ($4500 for a 250 is insane)

The more important point i want to make is about dropping your bike. NEVER say "I WILL DROP IT" because you should not plan on doing so, It's like saying "eventually I will cheat on my wife/husband" before getting married (no this analogy is not too harsh). buying frame sliders and gear will prevent some damage in the event that it does happen. you take the precautions to save you, but dont plan on wrecking your bike.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i know this stuff now... i was an idiot and started buying **** before i went to my classes... and then i realized that i had bought crap... my helmet is pretty good.. and the jacket isnt leather but its a pretty good Joe Rocket one... im looking at gloves as we speak.. and pants are on the list... honestly i know that boots are important... but i wouldnt be motivated to use them unless it is a long ride.. i cant really wear boots when im on campus for 12hrs.. i would wear them to a nub just walking around...

as long as you have a jacket, it really doesn't matter what material, unless you're on a track, where they require leathers (usually a one piece). and for boots look into shorty style stuff, or touring boots they're generally more comfy and okay to walk around in all day:thumbup:

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
First: :welcome: to our great forum family

Second: Whatever bike you end up with, look at getting bags or a trunk, then you'll be able to stow the gear in it while you're in class.
A good pair of overpants are a smart investment, then you'll be able to wear jeans to class instead of riding pants.
I have a pair of Nitro boots that look like tennis shoes, and they are as comfortable.

Third: I gotta ask where in Colorado are you??

Overpants was something i was looking at too but have had a hard time finding a good pair any suggestions? But i think the bike im looking at comes with some soft bags so lets see how that works! maybe i could even bring some normal shoes in them! But im right off of I-25 and arapahoe so kind of south in the Englewood area

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
im not going to say whether or not the bike is good for you. personally i wish there was a bike the size of a 250 with a 400cc engine that cost about what a new 250 does ($4500 for a 250 is insane)

The more important point i want to make is about dropping your bike. NEVER say "I WILL DROP IT" because you should not plan on doing so, It's like saying "eventually I will cheat on my wife/husband" before getting married (no this analogy is not too harsh). buying frame sliders and gear will prevent some damage in the event that it does happen. you take the precautions to save you, but dont plan on wrecking your bike.

Im not planing to but i get what you are saying.. i guess i just want to be prepared for it in the case it does happen..

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
But you guys have been awesome! I have been a big car guy so im used to more sh*t talking and and being called a noob or ricer if i say anything dumb so this has been really refreshing! thxs for all the warm welcomes!!!

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
as long as you have a jacket, it really doesn't matter what material, unless you're on a track, where they require leathers (usually a one piece). and for boots look into shorty style stuff, or touring boots they're generally more comfy and okay to walk around in all day:thumbup:

not planing to track.. (might change tho lol) but are shorty style like low tops? rather then full out boots?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
not planing to track.. (might change tho lol) but are shorty style like low tops? rather then full out boots?

these are what im planning on getting for this summer. and as a side note this website is awesome, they have video reviews on just about everything, which makes me want to buy stuff from them just because they're really helpful.

Alpinestars S-MX1 Boots - RevZilla

also until you get boots, its best to wear leather footwear, like workboots or leather sneakers if you've got'em. remember you're feet are most likely to go down first (purely out of instinct to stick a foot out.)

xXxSushanxXx

Reaction score
Visit site
these are what im planning on getting for this summer. and as a side note this website is awesome, they have video reviews on just about everything, which makes me want to buy stuff from them just because they're really helpful.

Alpinestars S-MX1 Boots - RevZilla

also until you get boots, its best to wear leather footwear, like workboots or leather sneakers if you've got'em. remember you're feet are most likely to go down first (purely out of instinct to stick a foot out.)

YEAH!!! i love these vids half of what i know about gear is from those videos!

I was looking at this one set of gloves and was wondering if you guys think its worth getting.. or am i better off just spending moreand getting a better set?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089FGG1K/ref=gno_cart_title_1]Amazon.com: BILT Trackstar Leather Motorcycle Gloves - LG, Black/White/Gunmetal: Automotive[/ame]

i hear the boots this brand makes is pretty good tho but have no idea aobut anythign else they make

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
You get what you pay for with gear generally. With that said, my current summer gloves are a pair of AGV SP7 full gauntlet race gloves. I bought them brand new on ebay for $20 shipped. I believe the MSRP is over $100.

Deals are out there, just takes some patience.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
YEAH!!! i love these vids half of what i know about gear is from those videos!

I was looking at this one set of gloves and was wondering if you guys think its worth getting.. or am i better off just spending moreand getting a better set?

Amazon.com: BILT Trackstar Leather Motorcycle Gloves - LG, Black/White/Gunmetal: Automotive

i hear the boots this brand makes is pretty good tho but have no idea aobut anythign else they make

BILT gloves are so-so. Leather feels pretty thin.. don't know how well they'd hold up if they met pavement.
If there's Cyclegear anywhere near you, go check them out in person. MSF graduates get 15% off.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Overpants was something i was looking at too but have had a hard time finding a good pair any suggestions? But i think the bike im looking at comes with some soft bags so lets see how that works! maybe i could even bring some normal shoes in them! But im right off of I-25 and arapahoe so kind of south in the Englewood area

I have the Olympia AirGlide overpants:

MotoGear Outlet - Olympia Airglide 3 pants

they slipped on over my jeans (or shorts depending on how hot it was) and they have armor in the knees and hips.

and I bought them here:

MotoGear Outlet - Motorcycle jackets, helmets, luggage and more...

I think she sent me an e-mail about an upcoming sale, but of course now that I want it, I can't find it! Call them and find out when it is :)

And be super careful riding in Denver....my son used to live in the Aurora area and he hated the commute, said it was very scary.

Oh and check out Performance Cycle, they have a good selection:

http://www.performancecycle.com/motorcycle-gear-denver.htm