Cost to powder coat 04/05??

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Hey all, new'ish guy here. Looking to purchase my Fizzer in the coming month or so...

I was wondering if anyone knew how much money it would cost to get a 2004/2005 FZ powder-coated to make it look like the 2006+ models.

My goal was to buy a 2006, but there seems to be so many 04 & 05 models for sale, for much, much cheaper. But I hate the look of the nakedness when it's in silver. (No offense to anyone that has one of these models, it's just not my cup of tea)

So if I ended up saving 700-1000 dollars, would that be well worth it to buy the older one and get it powder coated myself?

I'm not exactly new to the motorcycling world, just haven't spent any time customizing anything and I know several of you guys go crazy with the stuff.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this should have been posted in a different forum!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
You want to PC your engine? frame? etc? Are you really ready to take your whole bike apart for that? I`d just get a used '06... price can`t be that much different, and it`ll save you ALOT of time and trouble :thumbup:

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
You want to PC your engine? frame? etc? Are you really ready to take your whole bike apart for that? I`d just get a used '06... price can`t be that much different, and it`ll save you ALOT of time and trouble :thumbup:

What he said!!!

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Power coating is essentially like a baking process. You'd have to strip everything off the bike till it's just the engine and frame. No plastic, no electrical. Then hope nothing on the engine gets damaged by the process. Not worth it in my opinion. It'd cost quite a bit to have it done too. I know a guy that had a steel truck bumper done. Cost him $120, but that was an at cost discount because he was doing some IT work for them and it's a bumper- ie flat surfaces, much easier to cover uniformly. As stated- if you want the blacked out look, just find one like that. There's some things that just arn't worth trying to mod. If you were buying a used car that came in a I4 or a V6, would you buy the I4 and then drop a V6 in it yourself, heck no. Kinda the same principle here.

OKstate311

Gettin' Fizzy wit it
Reaction score
myspace.com
Ok, just thought I'd ask. I've only found one 06 within like 300 miles that's under $5,000. Most are going $5,700-$6,000+ which doesn't seem right. I am finding 04-05 for around $4,000. I didn't think it would be worth it to throw down an extra thousand just because I wanted the black.

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
It all depends but if you want it in black, than maybe an extra $1000 is worth it in that case. All depends on you. Do you have the money? On the other hand do you want to spend money on something you dont like? I think it'd be too expensive to PC everything. Better off getting a 2006, just my 2 cents ;) Anyhow goodluck on your quest!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, just thought I'd ask. I've only found one 06 within like 300 miles that's under $5,000. Most are going $5,700-$6,000+ which doesn't seem right. I am finding 04-05 for around $4,000. I didn't think it would be worth it to throw down an extra thousand just because I wanted the black.

I bought my '06 a year ago with Scorpion exhaust and R6 forks for $4600... the prices you list are indeed high!

You are getting what you pay for though... you`re not paying more for the color of the frame, you`re paying more because you`d be getting a newer bike... the older bike will -on average- have more miles, more wear and tear...etc. '04/'05 models also had the TPS recall if I am not mistaken.
So overall imo, you`re better off getting a newer model anyway... a little more $$, but maybe less issues with it... and in this case you`d get the extra black frame & engine you want.

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, you need to just spend the SMALL amount extra just to save the riding time. You will have some serious down time if you try to get a look that is already out there. Now, if you were going to re-hab a wreck, that's a diffent issue. But to take a whole bike that's in good running condition apart to PC the shiny bits, well, that's just wrong! GRUMPY P.S. Might make a good winter project!