correct oil filter ?

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
I have read the post in the technical forum and "are" confused.
I have a newly purchased, 2008 FZ6 and plan to self service it myself as much as possible.
It looks like the FZ has some sort of cover over the oil filter or it uses cartridge type filters.
The cover has flats on it for a wrench.
Does this bike not use spin on filters?. If it does, why the cover?. If the cover goes over a spin on filter, wouldn`t it hold in too much heat?.
I`m also confused about which filters fit a 2008 model.
Are the filter choices below correct for the 2008?.

ScreenHunter_01Feb261559.jpg

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you looking at the oil cooler and not the oil filter? The filter is down behind the left footpeg. As ice said, it's just a spin-on unit.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you looking at the oil cooler and not the oil filter? The filter is down behind the left footpeg. As ice said, it's just a spin-on unit.

If the oil cooler is low front and center, I guess that is where I assumed the oil filter was.
Didn`t know the darn thing had an oil cooler. Saw the radiator and thought it was water cooled only.
Does anyone know if the filters listed above are the right filters for a 2008 FZ6?.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
If the oil cooler is low front and center, I guess that is where I assumed the oil filter was.
Didn`t know the darn thing had an oil cooler. Saw the radiator and thought it was water cooled only.
Does anyone know if the filters listed above are the right filters for a 2008 FZ6?.

lol. Don't feel bad about mistaking the oil cooler for the oil filter.
I've been on group rides and people are like:
"Why did you use a Harley filter on your bike?"
And I'm like, "That's the oil cooler." :rolleyes:

They think the oil cooler is a chrome Harley oil filter. :D

Last edited:

ice

Reaction score
Visit site

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Well then I would suggest:

a. Call and ask your dealer. I'm sure they can give you a difinative list of oil filter part numbers. That way you'd know for sure.
b. Check the owners manual if you haven't already. It might list some.
c. take your exisitng oil fitler with you to the store for comparison.
d. all you lazy 2008 owners stop watching the Olympics for 2 min and hlep this guy out already!!! ;)

Since the motor really hasn't changed much since 04, I don't think there would be much difference in the type of filter used. I know some can vary in physical size (length), but all in all I don't think you can go wrong with the list of filters already provided.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have always used the Purolator One, after 40,000 miles and over a dozen oil changes, still going strong.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
All those should work just fine. I don't have an 08, but my r6 and fz6 both used the same filters so I'm pretty sure most yamahas use the same filters. Also, the oil filter is directly next to the kick stand on the left side.

C

CombatPenguin

I have an 07 (it's the same as an 08) and have been using the walmart filter in that list for the past 12k miles and no problems yet and it's cheap

Gcontroller

Reaction score
Visit site
For the last 23,000 miles on my 06 FZ6 I've been using a Walmart ST 7317 oil filter it costs about $2.50. That along with Rotella Blue bottle 5-40 synthetic by the gallon and my bike is happy. So is my wallet.

Quick tip some aluminum foil to cover your exhaust header and form a little drain path to your catch pan. Keeps the oil off the header. Also don't over tighten the oil filter. I've done it twice and had to use a pair if channel locks to get it off.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 08 and I use the Puralator oil filter. There are two, one is longer than the other. I use the long one, part number is PL14610. I also use the Rotella synthetic oil. I do most of the maintanence for my bike and a lot of the answer to my questions are on here. The search can be problematic at times, just change your word search and that may help.

Powerman

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 08 and I use the Puralator oil filter. There are two, one is longer than the other. I use the long one, part number is PL14610. I also use the Rotella synthetic oil. I do most of the maintanence for my bike and a lot of the answer to my questions are on here. The search can be problematic at times, just change your word search and that may help.

I use the exact same filter and oil as above on my 2008 and have had no problems.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
For the last 23,000 miles on my 06 FZ6 I've been using a Walmart ST 7317 oil filter it costs about $2.50. That along with Rotella Blue bottle 5-40 synthetic by the gallon and my bike is happy. So is my wallet.

Quick tip some aluminum foil to cover your exhaust header and form a little drain path to your catch pan. Keeps the oil off the header. Also don't over tighten the oil filter. I've done it twice and had to use a pair if channel locks to get it off.

Thanks for the suggestion about using aluminum foil. I still managed to get some on the pipes using the foil but I would have had a big mess if I had not taken your advice and used the foil.
Next time i`ll be more careful about how I fold and place the foil.
Good tip and thanks.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site

Don't feel bad- when I bought my bike, the salesman did the delivery "overview" stuff yada yada yada and he said the oil cooler was the oil filter- the salesman of all people, tells you how much some of them know about what they sell. I thought to myself- that's kinda weird, checked it out later and sure enough, cooler not filter. Later in the summer, my brother also bought a FZ6, same salesman, again said the cooler was the filter. I didn't want to be an @$$ but I couldn't bite my tongue anymore and had to set him strait.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a '08 myself and use a K&N filter #204. It's a few more bucks but it has a nut welded on the end for easy removal. My oil change was a breeze that avoided the dreaded screwdriver pounded through the filter method. :thumbup:
The foil over the pipes was a neat tip too!
Good luck and enjoy the ride.