Coolant

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
It is best to use a silicant free coolant to preserve water pump and seals. Not really knowing if the green Prestone stuff is good or not.

Even if overkill, I use Honda pre-mixed coolant. I think it was BD43 on this forum that recommended it

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Prestone is just fine, it will not harm water pump or aluminum parts. 50:50 with distilled water. The cooling system on this bike gets dirty fast, my original coolant was brown @ 11,000 miles when I replaced it!

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I heard of people using 'Water Wetter" but I think that it's made mostly for track days and does not have the properties you would want for long term street bike application.

water wetter is definitely not good for those who live in colder climates due to freezing even while the bike is sitting...i heard even at 70F on the track it will freeze :(

Raptorman53

Reaction score
Visit site
I changed mine to distilled water with water wetter about 3 weeks ago. Main reason for this is I'm going to do a track day sometime this year. When it starts to get cooler I have a couple of quarts of the yamaha coolant ready to go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
I used engine ice comes pre mixed 50/50. Got me through the hotest summer on record in Houston with no problems.

Sent from my Droid via Tapatalk.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The cooling system on this bike gets dirty fast, my original coolant was brown @ 11,000 miles when I replaced it!

I'm not on board with this statement -

It likely was running low on coolant for a long while as rust comes from the iron parts being exposed to oxygen. Even tho it didn't over heat the impeller aerates the coolant from spinning and head/cylinders can aerate it by boiling at surface from the temp going up. In short, air was mixing with the coolant creating a breakdown. It was very likely it ran for 5 months or longer with the overflow reservoir empty and sucked air into the system.

A good system will seal shut completely. When heated it builds pressure because the coolant expands as the blocks temp rises. Air that is in the coolant is compressed. What cannot be compressed and fit in the coolant system is pushed out into the reservoir (both air and water). When cooling off, i.e. turned off for hours, the coolant contracts and SHOULD pull a vacuum in the system which when coupled with an effective radiator cap will pull fluid in from the reservoir and fill the engines block full keeping the air out. Well unless that reservoir tank is empty! :(

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not on board with this statement -

It likely was running low on coolant for a long while as rust comes from the iron parts being exposed to oxygen. Even tho it didn't over heat the impeller aerates the coolant from spinning and head/cylinders can aerate it by boiling at surface from the temp going up. In short, air was mixing with the coolant creating a breakdown. It was very likely it ran for 5 months or longer with the overflow reservoir empty and sucked air into the system.

A good system will seal shut completely. When heated it builds pressure because the coolant expands as the blocks temp rises. Air that is in the coolant is compressed. What cannot be compressed and fit in the coolant system is pushed out into the reservoir (both air and water). When cooling off, i.e. turned off for hours, the coolant contracts and SHOULD pull a vacuum in the system which when coupled with an effective radiator cap will pull fluid in from the reservoir and fill the engines block full keeping the air out. Well unless that reservoir tank is empty! :(

I agree it doesn't make sense but coolant breaks down over time, not sure what causes it to turn dark but old coolant coming out of your car would look the same way.

buyer86

Reaction score
Visit site
voltronic R32 for me and i mixed with distilled water at a ratio of 2:8
tropical like Singapore do not need anti freeze, just for the purpose of higher temp.

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
Distilled water and water wetter. Been using it for years in the FZ6 and just put it in the FZR600 and FZR1000. Living in Arizona means I don't really have to worry about freezing.