Coolant Overflow

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
I need help from the mechanical gods on this great forum! I have a 2007 fz6 with 4000 miles. Here's my problem: In stop and go traffic, as well as when I turn off the bike after a long ride the bike spits coolant out of the overflow hose. Initially I thought it could be a blown head gasket but checked oil for coolant(none), bubbles in radiator while running(none), and no white smoke coming from pipes. I just flushed my coolant system and refilled and the same thing occured. The bike temps are fine(180-200F) and rarely spike to turn on the fan. What could be causing this? The only thing that I can think is bad radiator cap, or thermostat. What do you think? Any help very appriciated.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If I were to guess, I'd say your radiator cap isn't put on tight, or it's worn out. That's where I would start.

I agree. I believe that is the only way coolant would come out of the overflow, either the coolant is too hot and under enough pressure that it's passing the cap or the cap is simply not making a proper seal.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I had this exact issue as well on my 08. Also did a flush. Replaced the t-stat. I spent all of 30 seconds fearing it was a head gasket leak or something internal, but then realized the odds of such a thing occurring on this motor with 18k miles is one is a million.

It's the radiator cap. You can spend the time going to AutoZone (PB, perhaps) to borrow their cap tester, but don't bother. They get weak, and don't hold the proper pressure allowing coolant to overflow prematurely.

For my 2008, at PartZilla, was $21 + shipping.

Yamaha Motor - 1B3-12462-00-00
CAP, RADIATOR

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Notice the radiator has two distinct sealing lands. The outer keeps the complete system from letting coolant out and letting air in. The inner landing
should be inspected for debris or damage. If paint, rust, some form of debris is keeping the cap from making a good seal it can spew over before reaching pressure.

Also a visual inspection of the cap may reveal a gouge, cut, debris stuck to the rubber that prevents the inner land from sealing. That includes the valve built into the cap. Pull it down and inspect for debris.

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
I had this exact issue as well on my 08. Also did a flush. Replaced the t-stat. I spent all of 30 seconds fearing it was a head gasket leak or something internal, but then realized the odds of such a thing occurring on this motor with 18k miles is one is a million.

It's the radiator cap. You can spend the time going to AutoZone (PB, perhaps) to borrow their cap tester, but don't bother. They get weak, and don't hold the proper pressure allowing coolant to overflow prematurely.

For my 2008, at PartZilla, was $21 + shipping.

Yamaha Motor - 1B3-12462-00-00
CAP, RADIATOR

All fixed now?

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I just spent a few minutes trying to figure out a way to scientifically prove that blue is faster based on the wavelength. This led to the realization that blue light is, in fact, slower through mediums, than red. FML.

Good thing I ride in a vacuum!

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
I just spent a few minutes trying to figure out a way to scientifically prove that blue is faster based on the wavelength. This led to the realization that blue light is, in fact, slower through mediums, than red. FML.

Good thing I ride in a vacuum!

Seeing as I just finished a semester of physics in the spring, this made me laugh..and its so true..Thanks haha

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Mind%3Dblown.gif

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm at a loss with this thing(confusing the crap outta me). Finally got to put on the new cap and ride saturday. Everything was fine until I turned off the bike, and it pissed coolant on the floor again!! I dont know whats causing this! Any sugestions?:confused:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I assume its pissing out of the over flow tank, overflow hose?

Your temps were reading normal while riding correct?

Is the coolant level correct when cold in the tank (inbetween the marks)? If it was overfilled, pissing out the extra is normal.

It should be topped off (while on the centerstand, NOT THE SIDE STAND) when checking the overflow tank. Checking on the sidestand WILL HAVE TOO MUCH coolant in the system-thus an overflow.

You may try filling the overflow tank to the bottom line, just for S&G's..

If the above doesn't pan out, it almost sounds like you have a new, bad radiator cap.

When I changed out my coolant, I ran the bike (went for a short ride), let it cool down, then topped off the radiator and the overflow tank. No issues...

Please post what you come up with...

Last edited:

RideFz6Style

Reaction score
Visit site
I assume its pissing out of the over flow tank, overflow hose?

Your temps were reading normal while riding correct?

Is the coolant level correct when cold in the tank (inbetween the marks)? If it was overfilled, pissing out the extra is normal.

It should be topped off (while on the centerstand, NOT THE SIDE STAND) when checking the overflow tank. Checking on the sidestand WILL HAVE TOO MUCH coolant in the system-thus an overflow.

You may try filling the overflow tank to the bottom line, just for S&G's..

If the above doesn't pan out, it almost sounds like you have a new, bad radiator cap.

When I changed out my coolant, I ran the bike (went for a short ride), let it cool down, then topped off the radiator and the overflow tank. No issues...

Please post what you come up with...

Yes that is correct, it is only coming out of the coolant overflow bottle hose. When I replaced the cap I filled it to the Low line on the bottle while on center stand. All temps were fine..max temp was 195..and rode fine. Everytime it has done this I have checked the radiator(after cooling down), and it has been full..so I'm kinda thinking it may just be too full at this point..or I need a new thermostat.