coolant and noises

Plymothian

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had my 2004 FZ6 for around 4 months now. The bike is running fine but there's a couple of things that I need to ask:

Coolant: When I got the bike, the coolant reservoir was brimmed to the top (i.e. about an inch above the FULL marker). As this was done by the Dealer, I thought that was ok. A few weeks ago I dropped the bike from standing, managed to catch most of the weight but it still laid on it's side for about 5 seconds. Some coolant (it was bright green) dripped out of one of the hoses that come out on the RHS behind the centre stand (it was not fuel, it smelled like coolant and was green). Why did it do this?

Secondly, about a week ago I was riding in the heat (28C) through heavy traffic, and when I reached my destination and parked up, there was a puddle of bright green coolant underneath the bike. I've no idea where it came out - the hoses underneath were both dry, as was the coolant reservoir. I just wondered if it was too full, is there an overflow or something that might have spat some out when it got really hot?

it hasn't done the same thing since, the fan comes on at the right time and the temp gauge has only ever hit 4 bars, and that's after a hard ride on a sunny day, but soon drops back to 2 or 3 bars when the fan kicks in. Coolant level is now on full line when hot, and no more leaks.

Last thing - the engine has a bit of a tickety-tick sound when it's cold and warming up - could this be the cam chain, and is it a problem? It gets quieter when the bike is warm, and quieter still when I pull then clutch in, so maybe it's clutch basket or something? or could be both? Anything to worry about?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that the coolant level is correct that should be fine. The overflow tank should be checked COLD. Make sure the level is correct and take a small socket to ALL the coolant hose clamps in the entire system and snug up. They do tend to loosen up with heat cycles.

One member recently had a hard, steel part of the system develope some rust UNDER a larger hose and seep from there. Clean the bottom of the bike spotless and keep an eye on it checking immediatly after riding if it continues..

The two hoses, on the lower RS of the bike are for the fuel tank. One is the vent, the other an overflow. (if the tank is super full, parked in the sun, it may expand and leak thru the over flow-normal). There shouldn't be any coolant from there..

The water pump, (rt side, attached to the big hose) has a mechanical seal that keeps coolant in. Clean under there as well and keep an eye for coolant dripping from the bottom of there. The water pump is pretty stout and doesn't fail often. If its leaking from there, that seal is failing.

Pulling the clutch lever in and releasing WILL make some slightly different noises, it normal.

Re the cold noise, are you running the correct weight oil? (10w40 or so).
If you have a very thick oil in the the engine, it may take some time to get to all the parts. Mine, does NOT make any more noises cold than when hot. I'm running 10w40 full synthetic(even with semi synthetic oil mine, was quiet)

You may consider an oil change with the specified oil in you owners manual or upgrade to a semi or full synthetic oil.

The engine is known to be somewhat "ticky" and with the stock exhaust, more pronounced. If want to upload an audio others can listen but its probably not an issue.

BTW, how many miles on the engine and when was the last oil change?

Last edited:

Plymothian

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott. Maybe the coolant leaked out somewhere else and just found it's way down the outside of the fuel breather pipe?! I'll check all the fastenings as you said.

Bike has done close to 12000 miles now, about 2000 since it was serviced at the dealership. I'm guessing they would have used the cheapest oil going so yeah maybe I should change it soon, but it's still a lovely golden colour. I always used Castrol 10W40 on other bike so will probably still use that when I change it next. I was told every 4000 miles or every year, but think I'll change it earlier than 4000.

Thanks again

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it was covered but maybe not ~ if the reservoir is overfull, when the engine does get warm (HOT), it will (and its normal) to push some fluid from the engine coolant system into the reservoir. If they overfilled it, the vent on the Reservoir will push that fluid out and onto the ground.

The later models have a min/max or hot/cold. Don't recall how its marked.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it was covered but maybe not ~ if the reservoir is overfull, when the engine does get warm (HOT), it will (and its normal) to push some fluid from the engine coolant system into the reservoir. If they overfilled it, the vent on the Reservoir will push that fluid out and onto the ground.

The later models have a min/max or hot/cold. Don't recall how its marked.

+1 ^^^ Actually, I forgot, your over flow tank is under the seat (NOT up front like the later versions). My oversight.

Look at the overflow tank. It should have two rubber lines to the rubber cap and or the tank. One will go to the radiator and the other the overflow. If the tank is overfilled, it WILL come out that overflow.

I looked briefly at the S1 PDF manual and couldn't find it, but just follow the downward headed hose(overflow), it'll lead likely next to the fuel overflow and vent lines

BTW, if its still over filled cold, use a syring, turkey baster, etc to suck some out...