Convince me to buy an FZ6!

Bowhunter

Reaction score
Visit site
I think Ive pretty much convinced myself, but I figured id ask you guys.

Im a 20 year old Welder in the middle of nowhere, and Im getting ready to go back to school. My current truck gets 7 mpg highway, I just need something that is somewhat economical, as well as comfortable to ride for 100 miles or so.

This will be my first bike, but I have grown up around dirtbikes. I currently have a yz450 in the gorage, and will sell this/trade in as the downpayment for the bike. Im pretty confident I can handle the YZ as my first bike. Last weekend a buddy of mine let me take a 20 mile trip on a CBR, and I did fine.

I've been lurking for about a month, stopped at some dealerships and have done some online insurance quotes. $80 a month for full coverage seems to be what Im coming up with for insurance.

Id like to buy new, just because im sure the temptation to open her up when its not fully broken is rediculous, but if I do end up buying used, what should I look for?

So what do you guys think, should I go ahead and get this bike, or look for something else?

Thanks alot!

W

wrightme43

You should buy two of them.
Also get a FZ6 tattoo.
Then have FZ6 shaved into your head.
Yes thats the answer.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I`d recommend buying used as it`ll be your first bike.

I would get an '06 or '07 with less than 10k miles on it, and look for a price around $4k, $4.5k.

Good luck! :rockon:

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
Hells yeah, get an FZ6!

New or used, it doesn't matter.
Stay within your comfort zone, watch the road and for god's sake, the other idiots in those four-wheeled boxes!

You'll like it WAY more than the svr650.

Reaction score
Visit site
First bike, on the road that is? Go with the FZ6. It's economical, fun to ride, and you will learn to be HUMBLE! After you get used to it, it will treat you you as well as you treat it. Just remember, Be afraid, be very afraid! The other people on the road drive like they are out to get you! When you start riding it as an extention of your self, you will naturally extend your experience and have boat loads of FUN! And the 50+MPG will help, too. GRUMPY

Bowhunter

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys, thanks for the replies. Where should I look for a used bike? Id like to stay away from ebay because most of the bikes I generally see there are really far away. Theres a nice one in the for sale section of this site but Id rather not have red!

From what I understand blue is faster anyway :D

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh boy. I know I'm walking into the buzzsaw here in this forum, but ...

I would say that any 600cc inline 4 sportbike or thereabouts (however you'd classify the FZ6) would be a poor choice for a first (road) bike. I would go for a 500 CC twin, like the Ninja 500 or a GS-500, for starters. The powerband is much tamer and it's more conducive for a beginning rider.

That said, if you insist on going with a larger displacement, I would recommend looking at the Suzuki SV650 (standard/"naked") or SV650-S (the one w/ the clip-on handlebars and a half fairing if you want a sportier look.

If you really live in the middle of nowhere, you might even consider the V-Strom - it's the SV650 V-twin engine in a sporty dual-sport/ adventure touring chassis. I love it and I will probably buy this bike as my next one. It's pretty big (chassis-wise) so shorter riders are sometimes put off by the seat height and the width. But good God is it comfortable!

I'd definitely stick with a used bike for your first one. Also, take the MSF class and get a proper license!

Good luck no matter what you choose!

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at your handle, I'd just like to point out that the largest game you can strap on the back of an FZ is probably a coyote, and I don't even know if MD has them. ;)

More seriously, I'd never even ridden a dirtbike and learn't on the FZ-6 just fine, at age 48. A year later I'm still in love with her. Good luck! :thumbup:

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh boy. I know I'm walking into the buzzsaw here in this forum, but ...

I would say that any 600cc inline 4 sportbike or thereabouts (however you'd classify the FZ6) would be a poor choice for a first (road) bike. I would go for a 500 CC twin, like the Ninja 500 or a GS-500, for starters. The powerband is much tamer and it's more conducive for a beginning rider.

Good luck no matter what you choose!

I don't know that I'd agree with that. He's riding a 450cc dirt bike. If it's a two stroke 450 then those things have a power band that would scare the crap out of a guy used to a 600 cc street bike. In the 80's I had one of the fastest KZ 1000's in town. I rode a KX420 on the street and nearly crapped my pants. Those two strokes are just nuts. If he's in BFE, then he won't have to contend with too much crazy traffic. Just take it easy and be safe. You'll only go as fast as you twist the throttle.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Convince you? OK! Buy an FZ6 or die! (Sorry, NH in there... :D ) j/k!

You'll be soooooo disappointed in any other bike.

There can be only one!

Bleed Blue!

More support forums than any other model!

Because it could one day look like Wavex's?

Couldn't be cooler! :thumbup:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You are 20 you lazy git.

Get a pushbike and wait until you are older and more sensible to get a motorbike.

When your over 50. with a bad neck and knackered knees, then you have earned the right to have a motorbike.

But if you must...the FZ6 is great.

Steve

Reaction score
Visit site
Just doit. I get 50mpg, but that's me. My son has an sv650, and he like it too. Wishes however, he'd got an fz6. (chuckle) Only advice I give is not to give advice. Best thing to do is get the one you like.

And to Hellgate; thanks for the service.

Bowhunter

Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at your handle, I'd just like to point out that the largest game you can strap on the back of an FZ is probably a coyote, and I don't even know if MD has them. ;)

More seriously, I'd never even ridden a dirtbike and learn't on the FZ-6 just fine, at age 48. A year later I'm still in love with her. Good luck! :thumbup:

I literally spilled my gatorade all over myself when I read that! I'll have to fab myself up a deer rack to stick on the back of her for hunting season :D

Thanks guys again for all the comments. I have been a member of countless forums but this has been the best by far when it comes to polite, quick responses! I think i'll enjoy my stay here.

I browsed through cycle trader and there is an 07 FZ6 in blue there, with 3200 miles, with helmet for $5400. I think this is a pretty good deal dont you guys? The best part is its only about an hour from home. Guy says its in mint condition. If all goes well, I have a big check coming in 2 weeks, that will be my downpayment.

The YZ450 is a 4 stroke bike. The thing is a powerhouse, but like an FZ6, its power can get you in trouble quick. I can flip my self off the back with a blip of the throttle in 3rd gear. Im not worried about the bike being too much for me. I've learned this the hard way. Ask a few bones in my right arm...

An MSF class is on the way too. I have to admit, Im pretty excited about all this!

Yankee

Reaction score
Visit site
You won't be disappointed with the FZ6, I got a brand new 2008 model about one months ago, this bike is extremely comfortable, very fast and very stable on the open road. You can also feel the quality Yamaha has put into the FZ6.

Also, folks in this forum are very nice and helpful.... AWESOME...

Don't wait, go get one :Sport: