Comm Gear

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys,

I have been looking into this stuff and boy is there a bunch of different options out there and the pricing is also as varied. I plan to use my iPhone for its GPS function, MP3, and phone function.

Autocom/Starcom - These are the top of the heap on the wired systems out there. and they work the same with the same connections available. The price for the hub unit, mic, and speakers runs from $280-$350. They offer all sorts of device connections.

There is another system out there even more elite than these from a German company named Baehr.

I have come across this very simple system from IMC Motocom that may do me just fine. This would allow me to do 70% of what I want and for a fifth of the price.

I am not interested in the Bluetooth stuff because you have to re-charge it.

HS 530

The only thing missing is the ability to tie in my 4 watt 2-way radio.

Not interested in bluetooth devices at this point.

Last edited:

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys,

I have been looking into this stuff and boy is there a bunch of different options out there and the pricing is also as varied. I plan to use my iPhone for its GPS function, MP3, and phone function.

Autocom/Starcom - These are the top of the heap on the wired systems out there. and they work the same with the same connections available. The price for the hub unit, mic, and speakers runs from $280-$350. They offer all sorts of device connections.

There is another system out there even more elite than these from a German company named Baehr.

I have come across this very simple system from IMC Motocom that may do me just fine. This would allow me to do 70% of what I want and for a fifth of the price.

HS 530

The only thing missing is the ability to tie in my 4 watt 2-way radio.

Not interested in bluetooth devices at this point.

I have done a LOT of research into radios on the bike with a group friends of mine. Way too much. Here's what we've found to be the best overall, minimizing cost and hassle:

Gadget Infinity Full-Face headset
Gadget Infinity :: Two-way Radio :: Headset :: Full-face Helmet Headset
Cost: $25
Description: Comes with a radio adapter to fit a 2-way radio (you pick which one) and a handlebar PTT switch.

Motorola Talkabout MR350 FRS/GMRS Radio
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tech-data/B001UE6MJ8]Amazon.com: Motorola MR350R 35-Mile Range 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair): Electronics[/ame]

Cost: About $50 for a pair, depending on where you get them
Description: Not all FRS radios are created equally. This radio has the somewhat-unique ability to be externally powered via the mini-usb port. Some radios allow charging via that port when the radio is off, but this one can actually be powered by it!

Then you need to get a Cigarette Lighter Socket from your local auto parts store and wire it up. Useful for lots of things. You can get a very nice waterproof one for $15 or less, or a cheap one for less than $5.

Finally, you need a cigarette lighter usb charger. They can be as much as $20, or as cheap as $1. I recommend getting a 1 or 2A charger, rather than the typical 500mA.

Now all you do is find a place to stow the radio and cables. Any tank bag or pocket will do.

If you have an Amateur Radio license, you can swap that talkabout for a nice HT, and the same company (gadgetinfinity) has adapters for various radios, including the ever-popular VX7R.

Notes: It is illegal to operate on the GMRS frequencies without an FCC license, and it is illegal to operate a modified HAM radio in the GMRS/FRS frequencies. Doesn't mean that it doesn't get done all the time.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com

I'm confused by this statment as what do you think you would have to do with any radio system that you would use? Seems like a strange reason to rule out what is proving to be a very capible communication format. Are you simply looking for something to plug into your iPhone doe GPS and MP3 or are you actually looking for a "Comms" system (bike to bike)?

I've tried various VHF radio systems and found that trying to communicate at highway speeds was next to impossible.

I too have done a lot of research adn reviewing and I'm set on the SENA SMH10 Bluetooth headset. It seems to do everything I would need it to do communication wise plus sync wirelessly with my iphone for music (turst me, having no wires is a nice feature!!). I know several other instructors who use this and are VERY pleased with it.

smh10_1.jpg

If recharging is the only issue you have with Bluetooth, I would urge you to reconsider. Anyway, enough on Bluetooth. Here is my setup and review using Motorolla VHF radios: http://www.600riders.com/forum/prod...-radios-comms-motocomm-mc554-headset-mic.html

This was a comms only setup and each of us had the same setup to communicate bike to bike between the 3 of us.

Last edited:

ChurchWVU

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone tried out throat mic systems? We use these for comms all of the time, but I have never tried one on a motorcycle. They eliminate all background noise, wind, etc. I've tried out many of these systems and Iasus seem to hold up the best. They even make one for motorcycle use, and it has an optional iPhone connection.

GP3/GP3X2 motorcycle, Vespa, scooter, Rukus, headset communication system  with NT3 transponde

Check them out, and if you get one, let me know how it turns out! I may end up getting one for myself.