Winter riding - Wrap up warm! *warning*

Sosu2211

Super Furry Animal
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I usually keep my bike locked away for November, December and January, but if the weather is nice, always go out for a quick run...

This year here in France things have been colder and wetter than usual for this time of year, and maybe I was a bit late switching to my winter gear... but I have learned my lesson, and just wanted to say to people - Take care, and don't skimp on using summer gear for winter riding! :)

3 Weeks ago I took on a 400km ride in my 'summer gear' (leather single layer track gloves, trouser and jacket) in what turned out to be rain and cold, and afterwards felt pretty lousy. Cough, cold, and general malaise. I didn't think much of it, but switched to 'full winter' kit (Gortex everything and multiple layers!) and over the next 3 weeks carried on riding. I did a total of only around 800kms, but last weekend did a 250km round trip in *total* monsoon conditions... you guessed it - This week I keeled over with Acute Bronchitis, Sinusitis, Chest infection! Doh! No more riding for me for a month or 2 I think! :(

Moral of the story is, always use the right equipment for the right conditions... just wanted to give you all a heads up so I may at least save someone else from a similar fate this winter!

Me in *Full* gear from now on!

Thermal Nike running vest (Under shirt and jumper!)
Furygan Gortex 2 Layer Thermal Textile Riding Jacket
Furygan Gortex 2 Layer Thermal Textile Riding Leggings
Sidi Vertigo Boots
Polar Buff
HJC FG-15 Lid with chin cover
Alpinestars WR-02 Gortex Gloves

Full Gortex Rainproof jacket and leggings over the top!

From now on, I take no chances! :D

DSC00110.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You make a great point,

I caught pneumonia last year whilst riding in the wet, I had my wets with me but got to the point where I couldn't be bothered to change into my wets as I was soaking already.
Importantly once you are cold and wet hypothermia can occur without you realizing it.

Nelly

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry Nelly, but I had to post this.... but before you grumble remember that I have had my fair share of UK winter morning rides to work!

Winter is the best time to ride here, no rain (the rain stops in Nov and does not return until mid April!), clear conditions and temperatures in the mid 80's nearly every day.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you do get caught out in the cold without warmer gear but have your rain gear throw it on. It will cut the wind and help to trap more body heat in.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I hope your are feeling better, infections like what you had are terrible and take forever to get over.

You've spurred me to go get some good rain gear for the up coming winter season. Granted our winter is nothing like yours.

PlasticPig

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I hope your are feeling better, infections like what you had are terrible and take forever to get over.

You've spurred me to go get some good rain gear for the up coming winter season. Granted our winter is nothing like yours.

On a serious note, the trouble with the winter in the UK and France is that the rain seems very invasive, it is often a fine rain that seems to find it's way into any gap in your wet weather gear.

For the cold, lots of thin layers are the way to go and as it says above, use the waterproofs as they will pretty well block out all the wind chill.

W

wrightme43

This little puppy right here works great.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/...r/fieldsheer_highland+ii+1-piece+textile+suit

Full suit, full armor, I have rode for hours in pouring rain, the only part that gets wet are the jean legs up to the shin. If I tucked the pants into the boots and wore rain over boots it would be completely dry.

Very comfy, warm, well priced, easy in and out. Its not up to Stich quality, but it is also not custom made for you and right at 1/3 of the price. Get it next size up so you can layer underneath with thermals and a wool sweater. Waterproof, wind proof, and protective gear for under 200$

I am a big fan of Fieldsheer gear. I have been pleased with all that I have bought, and even crash tested.

Cool pup and cat man. You have a good looking home. It looks very comfortable in your living room. I like the floor too.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On a serious note, the trouble with the winter in the UK and France is that the rain seems very invasive, it is often a fine rain that seems to find it's way into any gap in your wet weather gear.

For the cold, lots of thin layers are the way to go and as it says above, use the waterproofs as they will pretty well block out all the wind chill.

Oh I know that European winter can be terrible. 21 days on a tank, in Germany, in February, in the rain and cold. God that sucked!

In Texas we have huge downpours, 2,3,4 inches of rain in an hour or two. I've seen as much at 10 inches of rain in a day. Needless to say very bad floods were the result..

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry Nelly, but I had to post this.... but before you grumble remember that I have had my fair share of UK winter morning rides to work!

Winter is the best time to ride here, no rain (the rain stops in Nov and does not return until mid April!), clear conditions and temperatures in the mid 80's nearly every day.
Well how'd you like them apples......................?

Fair play mate, I love winter riding, crisp air is great.

I wouldn't mind a go in Florida though.

Nelly

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
$60.00 over your cold weather gear and you'll be sweating in 35 degree riding: Nelson Rigg AX-1 MK III Two Piece Motorcycle Rainsuit :: New Enough, LTD

I wear these when it is really cold. This week's commute has been below 40 degrees every morning commute. I wear just my FirstGear Textile jacket with the thermal liner, FirstGear Tex Mesh Over pant with the windbreaker liner, Alpinestar Ridge waterproof boots, HJC snowmobile gloves and my helmet with the chin screen and breath guard in place. Plenty warm but if I do get cold, I can put on the rain gear to block all wind and hold my core heat in. I have a pair of rain covers for my gloves too.

I drive until it is black ice season. :D

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode down to Tooele Utah this past weekend, knowing it was the mormon "Conference Weekend", which always sees rain the entire two days.
Yup, rained again the entire two days, so I got to try out my new FroggToggs and "Sleestax" gloves from AeroStich. Stayed dry but not necessarily warm; fortunately didn't get sick.