Cold Weather Riding Gear

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
Since it is getting colder out, I figured I'd post this up. I get a lot of strange looks riding through town when it is 20 degrees out. :rockon: :Flash: :eek: :confused:

Layer 1: polypropylene long underwear & regular socks

Layer 2: T-shirt

Layer 3: Jeans & long sleeved shirt. Wool socks (best if over jean bottoms)

Layer 4: Extreme Carhartt bibs (black) Carhartt - Product - Men's Extremes® Zip-To-Waist Biberall / Arctic Quilt-Lined I sewed some Velcro to the bottom of my bibs to keep them tight to my boots and keep the wind out.

Alpinestar Effex waterproof boots Effex Goretex Boot - Alpinestars Official Store

Arctiva snowmobile jacket Dennis Kirk | Snowmobile Main Page (this is a year or 2 newer than mine). Buy big! I think mine is an XXL, but an XL would've been better. The XXL was on clearance for $45 though :wink:

Arctiva gloves Dennis Kirk | Snowmobile Main Page Removable liner is very nice! Warning though, they can be a little bulky.

I recently bought this Arctiva Balaclava Dennis Kirk | Snowmobile Main Page , but it isn't as warm as I expected. It does cover all of my face though, which I really like. I have been wearing it in combination with my TurtleFur Cycle Gear - TURTLE FUR Shellaclava Neck and Face Warmer BLACK: Shellaclava Neck and Face Warmer, BLACK , which I have been extremely pleased with, other than not covering my whole face. I also use the TurtleFur for those cold dirtbike days.

My helmet is a black Shoei RF-1000 Cycle Gear - SHOEI RF-1000 Solid Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet ANTHRACITE: RF-1000 Solid Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet, ANTHRACITE . I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the sheild from fogging?

I have installed some grip heaters Cycle Gear - TRACKSIDE Grip Heaters: Grip Heaters on my bike. I also recently installed some cheap Cycra off-road handguards Cycle Gear - CYCRA Primal Handguards Racer Pack BLACK: Primal Handguards Racer Pack, BLACK to help block the wind. Don't even think about putting these things on a dirtbike! Plastic clamps??? I'm planning to get the +9.5" larger windscreen from CalSci soon.

All this set-up keeps me plenty warm for my 45 minute ride to work down into the low teens. I could EASILY ride all day in the low 40s with this setup.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out how to keep the sheild from fogging?

i bought a pinlock visor and insert for my RF-1000, and fog is not a problem anymore. in the morning and evening, headlights create a bit of a ghost image (due to looking through two pieces of plastic, the visor and the insert) but its very bearable for me.

kidna costly, but works good for me.

taki

Reaction score
Visit site
no problem..basically its a clear visor with some plastic studs on it, that hold an insert (tinted or clear) on the inside surface of the visor. the insert has a silicone seal around it, and creates more or less, an insulated visor which prevents fogging. think of a double pane window as a visor, and thats the idea behind this thing.

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
A little pricey, but very cool indeed. I'll look into this when my current ones need replacement. I use a clear for the ride to work and dark smoke for the ride home, carrying the extra one in my tailbag with my lunch, extra gear, etc. The Shoei visor is very easy to change, but these look easy too, and wouldnt take up quite as much space. Are the colored inserts very rigid or flexible?

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
much more flexible than the normal visor... after a little practive you only have to take off one side of the shield to get it in... might be able to do it without taking off the shield at all but they will scratch easy if you aren't careful... impossible to fog