clutch!?

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
ok my bikes got nearly 30k hard miles on it, ive hated the clutch action since I got it, but ive just dealt with it. its bout time for a new clutch so who all has put clutches in? and what did you go back with? I was thinking ebc. and the pull is junk, the release points suck, an its so damn jumpy/clunky, so if I go with a after marker basket will that help any? it hangs in neutral when im on it hard and it just never goes in gear smooth, you can hear and feel it jump in all the time. what else can I do to help with the prob?

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
Out of curiosity, have you already adjusted the clutch cable?
Have you lubed the clutch cable?
None of this may have any bearing on your problem, just asking...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hated the FZ6 clutch action but if I keep it cleaned and lubed it made a great difference in what I was experiencing and I wasn't as critical about the clutch.

There' a member, (killernoodle) that does a clutch lever (the lever on the basket) mod that other members really like. I tried an FZ6 killernoodle modded clutch a few weeks ago and I was really surprised at the feel! If your clutch is good which I suspect it is then it's probably, mostly adjustment and lubrication. :)

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Lubing the clutch cable properly (with a luber that forces the lube all the way to the end of the sheath) makes a huge difference in the clutch feel and engagement on my bike. Also if you adjust it to not have as much travel on the lever it helps since the clutch has a very narrow friction zone in the FZ6.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the killernoodle mod. I installed it in the off season and it made an unbelievable improvement to the clutches action. I also lubed the cable (EZ Luber i think, invented by a member of this great forum) and installed new adjustable brake and clutch levers. The levers were under $35 and the killernoodle mod was like $70. The best $100 ish you can spend on the bike.

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
yea Ive adjusted it, I changed the levers a while back and theyre more adjustable than the stock ones, but it doesn't really help. I can tighten the cable and its worse, when I loosen it it feels better but still not good.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with FIZZER6 on the friction zone, it is narrow but it is also difficult to remedy through adjustments. I too have replaced the levers to short adjustables, but have decided to invest in the KN clutch slave mod which hopefully should arrive within the next week or so. The general consensus from the Members is that it will greatly improve clutch action so I am looking forward to getting it installed. :rockon:
One other thing, you mentioned is hard miles. Is it possible that your clutch engagement and duration during the shift sequence is partially the reason for the poor clutch performance? :eek:

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
well like I said its been rough since I got it, I have banshees and blasters and love short easy pulls, I have them adj so I can grab the lever lightly and bump the shifter for very fast shifts. if I do that on the bike, at times its like I didn't even pull the lever in at all. and other times I have to pull it in and hold it in longer and shift slow through all gears, its like it changes from day to day.

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
So maybe you are back to replacing plates eh? Possible that you have several worn teeth at different parts on different plates? Just tossing it out there... might be worth doing. (Like you said in the 1st place :) )

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
ok, I want to put the best clutch I can in it, so what is it? ive put cheaper plates in my atvs and the performance has been awful. I don't want to have to do it all over again.

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
I personally cannot recommend a set of clutch plates for the FZ6 as I have not encountered it yet. (Knocking on wood...) However, I have installed EBC on prior bikes and been happy.

EBC and Barnett are among some of the more respected names, but they each have their "Quality Levels". If you really want a BadAss Clutch, spring for the higher end more costly EBC's or Barnett's. Do not go with the least expensive of the options. I believe the more expensive plates are made with better, stronger materials.

I imagine someone else would have some better input to give you the warm & fuzzy. Good luck bud; let us know how it goes!