Clutch Slipping and problems getting into 1st

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the response, and apologies to the OP for hijacking. Didn't wanna get flamed for not searching, and thought mayyybe my case was related due to unlikely nature of his clutch slipping so prematurely.

In any case, I'm swapping oil and experimenting this weekend. Thanks again for the feedback!

Please post what you find.. Opening up the oil filter carefully may yield some results..

Good luck..

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
Update-

Nothing interesting in the filter.. changed the oil and put a bigger filter.

Put the bike through its paces this weekend, and had ZERO problems.. Focused on preloading shifter and putting some force into it as well, but could not replicate the issue.

Will keep you all posted if problem returns!

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Re downshifting, as you slow, you should be downshifting a click at a time (don't wait until your fully stopped to downshift 5 times). You WILL be letting the clutch out some to get the gear shafts turning so the shifter drum, shifter forks can move the gears..

Good advice, I have forgotten this a few times and look like an idiot at a light lol. My shift indicator goes, 4,3, -,-,-, I'm all like WAHHHT???

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update-

Nothing interesting in the filter.. changed the oil and put a bigger filter.

Put the bike through its paces this weekend, and had ZERO problems.. Focused on preloading shifter and putting some force into it as well, but could not replicate the issue.

Will keep you all posted if problem returns!

Great!

Something I don't think brought up, lubricate all the joints in the shifter "bar"(left side with the two lock nuts).

When they stick it makes for some unusual shifting... A preventative thing...

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
Great!

Something I don't think brought up, lubricate all the joints in the shifter "bar"(left side with the two lock nuts).

When they stick it makes for some unusual shifting... A preventative thing...

Good advice, as well. I lubricate all joints/cables and chain on the regular, important for bikes that live outside like mine! Garage dreams...

Little Hippo

Reaction score
Visit site
Had similar issues with Mobil 1 4T a couple years ago. My bike only had 5700 miles on it, thought I would do it a favor and gave it full synth and boy was that a mistake...

About 300 miles later the clutch started to squeal, slipped several times, and the bike started stinking horribly. It was so bad I had to park the bike because I was afraid I would to ruin something.

I nicely worded email to Mobil only got me a reply back that “...Mobil 1 Motorcycle should work just fine and is specially designed for your bike.” and to check my clutch. I guess “should” is good enough for Mobil.

When I had a chance I ripped the clutch apart for an inspection. There was nothing out of sorts. I measured the plates and all were still almost brand new thickness and there was no damage that I could find.

I dumped that oil and put some Castrol semi-synthetic in and the noise and most of the smell went away immediately. In the years since, up to 16,500 miles now, the smell is still lingering at times but never at the same level. I don't have any idea what was in that oil but remnants of it still haven't left my bike.

My personal experience with Mobil 1 was not good and that stuff will NEVER enter my bike again.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
I had some similar issue with Yama oil and even worse with vibration, rough gear change..etc.

I changed to Castrol 06412 Power RS 10W-50 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil (Amazon sells pack of 6 for $51) after 2K miles. Since then mine's been happy, no more vibration, smooth transmission, quiet too.

I was about changing to Rotella oil while changing my oil this Monday but mine's happy with Castrol 06412 for 7.5K mile so I continue using the Castrol one with the awesome Mobile 1 oil filter.

Happy safe riding my fellow riders!