Clutch Slave Levers - I'm making them again

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Killernoodle,

Problem solved on my end! I took your advice in an earlier reply and disconnected both ends of the cable to check for friction. It actually felt relatively smooth except for a slight 'click' that was always in the same spot. If not for that click, I wouldn't even suspect a bad clutch cable.

While skeptical, I still I went ahead and ordered a brand new one. After installing it just today, I can't believe what a difference it made. The little plastic piece at the end of the cable at the handlebar side was crumbling to pieces from the pressure it was subjected to.

Of course, with the extended lever, it is better than it ever was.

While it is possible that it was a routing problem, I reinstalled the lever three times before replacing the cable, so I doubt that was it.

Interesting, there is a chance the cable was frayed internally and scraping against the outside cable.

If you disconnect both levers with the cable secured in the bracket I modified, it's really easy to tell if the cable pull is smooth or not. There should be little to no friction moving the cable in and out with your fingers.

Glad you got the problem solved!

Last edited:

Shoey

Reaction score
Visit site
I may be wrong, but isn't there supposed to be a washer that goes under the big circlip?

I don't think it matters too much if so.

Ah shoot, you're right. #26 in the diagram. Thanks for pointing that out, Killernoodle. The lever did feel like it had a bit too much vertical movement.

Ronayers.com Microfiche Yamaha>Motorcycle>2006>FZS6V FZ6>CLUTCH

discgolfdude, if you search for the thread 'THE LIST: for clutch slave levers' on the sportbikes.net forum, page 10 has some excellent photos of the previous version.

Shoey

Reaction score
Visit site
I managed to find it by my tools thankfully. The washer's now in. Also, I sent my original core today.

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to go forward with this, I prefer the $70 option where I return the core
after I do the install, let me know if this is acceptable now and I'll paypal the funds pronto, thanks!

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd like to go forward with this, I prefer the $70 option where I return the core
after I do the install, let me know if this is acceptable now and I'll paypal the funds pronto, thanks!

If you paypal now, you'll secure your place in line for a core. Right now, there is one person in front of you. Unfortunately, he has been waiting a while because I haven't seen a core yet. There is one other guy interested in the core option, but he hasn't paid yet so his spot is still up for grabs.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
If you paypal now, you'll secure your place in line for a core. Right now, there is one person in front of you. Unfortunately, he has been waiting a while because I haven't seen a core yet. There is one other guy interested in the core option, but he hasn't paid yet so his spot is still up for grabs.

funds sent, I'll send you a PM to ID myself to the paypal payment, thanks!

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Killer, I'm having problems with my install. I have the bracket on and the cable through it. I put the arm on the spline, and connected it to the cable. I followed the pics from THE LIST: for clutch slave levers - Page 10 - Sportbikes.net, and the instructions

Basically, installing the new lever goes like this:
1 Install the cable hanger bracket with the cable in the 2nd(new) position.
2 Screw the handlebar clutch adjustment (clockwise) and the mid-cable adjustment all the way in.
3 Pull the cable at the motor as far out as it will go to pull the lever at the handlebar all the way out (we need to remove all slack in the cable, just pull it taut)
4 Install the new clutch slave lever onto the cable(but not onto the splined shaft.
5 Put the clutch slave return spring in place.
6 Rotate the clutch input splined shaft clockwise until it stops to take the slack out of it.
7 Position the new clutch slave lever over the input splined shaft and rotate it as hard counter-clockwise as you can before you slide it on the input splined shaft (this is to take all of the slack out of the cable).
8 When the lever is on the input splined shaft, put the clutch slave return spring on the clutch slave lever.
9 Tap the clutch slave lever all the way down and reinstall the factory washer and circlip on the splined input shaft.
10 Adjust the master lever at the handlebar until the desired engagement zone is reached.

But, I'm not getting the tension that I had with OEM set up. When I squeeze the clutch, it is really easy and then when I let go it doesn't spring back. I left the set up as you shipped it, with the cable on the end position, closest to the tip. I put my bike on the center stand, and put it into 1st gear, and squeezed the clutch, and my back wheel kept spinning. While holding the clutch and using the back brake, the biked died. I need to fix the problem before Monday morning, as this is my only ride to work.

Shoey

Reaction score
Visit site
discgolfdude,

It sounds to me like there is slack in your clutch cable between the clutch lever and slave lever. There are three locations where you can adjust the slack:

1) Reposition the slave lever on a different spline on the shaft (coarse adjustment). This should be done with the cable disconnected.
2) Handlebar clutch adjustment 'dial' (fine adjustment).
3) mid-cable adjustment adjustment below your tank and airbox.

In order, you should try adjusting #2 first. If you can't get enough tension that way, see if you can skip to the next spline position (#1). If that fails, you might need to dig under your tank and airbox to adjust #3. Just my 2c until Killernoodle replies.

Last edited:

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
discgolfdude,

It sounds to me like there is slack in your clutch cable between the clutch lever and slave lever. There are three locations where you can adjust the slack:

1) Reposition the slave lever on a different spline on the shaft (coarse adjustment). This should be done with the cable disconnected.
2) Handlebar clutch adjustment 'dial' (fine adjustment).
3) mid-cable adjustment adjustment below your tank and airbox.

In order, you should try adjusting #2 first. If you can't get enough tension that way, see if you can skip to the next spline position (#1). If that fails, you might need to dig under your tank and airbox to adjust #3. Just my 2c until Killernoodle replies.
Thanks, I don't want to have to do the mid if I don't have to, I tired to adjust the dial adjustment going both ways and still feels like I have to much slack! I'll give it another go tomorrow!!

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, I don't want to have to do the mid if I don't have to, I tired to adjust the dial adjustment going both ways and still feels like I have to much slack! I'll give it another go tomorrow!!

Put it on a different spline-
  1. Screw the handlebar adjustment all the way in
  2. Leave the cable connected to the clutch slave
  3. Remove the circlip and lift the lever off the spline
  4. Rotate the splined shaft clockwise as far as it goes until it stops
  5. Pull the slack out of the cable while its still connected to the slave lever
  6. Try to slide the slave lever down on the splined shaft with everything tightened up.
  7. If you can't do that, get it as close as possible.

I have found that adjusting the spline and the handlebar fixes the adjustment no matter what. You really shouldn't need to adjust the center adjuster.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
Put it on a different spline-
  1. Screw the handlebar adjustment all the way in
  2. Leave the cable connected to the clutch slave
  3. Remove the circlip and lift the lever off the spline
  4. Rotate the splined shaft clockwise as far as it goes until it stops
  5. Pull the slack out of the cable while its still connected to the slave lever
  6. Try to slide the slave lever down on the splined shaft with everything tightened up.
  7. If you can't do that, get it as close as possible.

I have found that adjusting the spline and the handlebar fixes the adjustment no matter what. You really shouldn't need to adjust the center adjuster.

Thanks Killer, I'll do that here in a bit.:thumbup:

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I like it better the way it was. I used to be able to launch the bike like a rocket...not so much now. I have a huge parking lot behind my house practising my launches, and I just feel sluggish now.
The cable smoothed out once I lubed it but I still like it better the way it was...I think it may be I just was so used to it and this change is too drastic. I dont know..everyone else loves it..maybe Im just fakked

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I got it on the way killer said and it worked, I think my problem was I was turning the spline the wrong way to take the slack out, I was going counter clockwise.:spank:

I'll take it for a test ride later today, and send my core out on Monday.

Last edited:

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I like it better the way it was. I used to be able to launch the bike like a rocket...not so much now. I have a huge parking lot behind my house practising my launches, and I just feel sluggish now.
The cable smoothed out once I lubed it but I still like it better the way it was...I think it may be I just was so used to it and this change is too drastic. I dont know..everyone else loves it..maybe Im just fakked

Sorry to hear that! Position 1 and the cable hanger in the stock position is the stock lever length.

FWIW: my 60' times improved pretty drastically with this mod (well, it might have been other factors too I guess), but as far as I know I've still got the quickest FZ6 on the board in the eighth, and probably the 60'. I'm not sure about the quarter, haven't been to a quarter track in a while.

Got the first core lever in! Thanks Shoey!

Last edited: