gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: To Anyone Who Needs A Clutch Slave Arm

Finally installed mine (was missing the ring pliers). Yes, the pull really is easier, _feels_ like a just-lubed/new cable. Zone is larger, still getting used to it (only been a day), but does make smoother shifting easier to do. A win. Thank you again [MENTION=28628]User[/MENTION] for the tip!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

As I pulled a tendon in my left (clutch) elbow recently, I ordered and installed one today (to ease the slight pain when I pull in the lever).

I don't believe it's noted previously, but there is no punch mark for alignment purposes (no biggon).

It is slightly easier and the engagement zone slightly longer.

I prefer the shorter zone but will keep it on until my elbow heals up, then put the stocker back on, (you can shift a little faster with the shorter zone).

BTW, cable alignment is a non issue.

Last edited:

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site

Update, took it off, put the stocker back on.

I couldn't get used to the change, shifting seemed slower with the longer range...

Interesting. Although I could definitely see how this is possible after riding the bike in stock form for so long, you're probably used to it. Coming from Kawasaki I was disgusted by the clutch lever and I immediately modified the slave arm before racking up too many miles on the bike.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Installed mine the other day. Love everything about it. Hope the cable doesn't mind rubbing a bit. Seems like the spring sits a bit higher, can't remember if that is how it normally is. Functions fine.

I knew better but I put a scratch on the clutch cover >:| Should have used the proper C Clip pliers. Bought some black rattle can paint that was recommended for Yamaha engines, filled it in a bit with a tooth pick. Still there but not white anymore :)

20180716_205802_resized.jpg

20180716_205809_resized.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Installed mine the other day. Love everything about it. Hope the cable doesn't mind rubbing a bit. Seems like the spring sits a bit higher, can't remember if that is how it normally is. Functions fine.

I knew better but I put a scratch on the clutch cover >:| Should have used the proper C Clip pliers. Bought some black rattle can paint that was recommended for Yamaha engines, filled it in a bit with a tooth pick. Still there but not white anymore :)

That rubber "boot" on the lower end of the cable, it should slip OVER the outer cable end.

It helps keep water and crap from getting into the cable.

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

That rubber "boot" on the lower end of the cable, it should slip OVER the outer cable end.

It helps keep water and crap from getting into the cable.

It is dry rotted/cracked. It keeps falling off. I believe I would need a new cable to fix it :/

MIJ_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

Is it time for a new clutch cable for me? I noticed a few hundred miles after this mod the plastic shielding on the clutch cable where it meets the end of the tube has cracked. Not exactly thrilled about it. Looks like it happened because the cable is being pushed against the metal harder than it was intended for. What do you guys think?

I was thinking to spend the $10 extra and get another "clutch cable holder" (what points the cable to the clutch slave lever) and bend that with a new cable.

20180913_144538_resized.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Is it time for a new clutch cable for me? I noticed a few hundred miles after this mod the plastic shielding on the clutch cable where it meets the end of the tube has cracked. Not exactly thrilled about it. Looks like it happened because the cable is being pushed against the metal harder than it was intended for. What do you guys think? Above, did you do the FZ-07 mod?

I was thinking to spend the $10 extra and get another "clutch cable holder" (what points the cable to the clutch slave lever) and bend that with a new cable. Not sure how your going to bend that bracket, it's pretty stout. I'd lean towards notching, bending and re-welding the stock base (bolts to motor) bracket. I kinda doubt if you did the -07 mod, that caused the innerds to crack. I see your also missing the rubber boot (likely rotted and fell off from age)

View attachment 69417

I would disconnect the clutch cable at both ends and see / feel if there's ANY binding what so ever.. Keep in mind, missing that boot allows water / grit to get into that cable.

The pic's I posted, I couldn't see the fraying, I felt it. Bought a new cable and cut the old one apart for pic's and see what failed. There was no wear at the lower end of the cable, just at the top where the sharp bend is...

If in doubt, just change the cable. Should that cable break in traffic, I can about guarantee you'll crash... Is it worth it?
And stick with OEM, NO Chinese knock offs...

heath_AU

Reaction score
Visit site
Order placed

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/1WS-16340-00-00

Just got new clutch springs delivered - as the claimed heavy duty ones i got from EBC are total **** - instead of a claimed 30% stronger - they feel about 20% weaker than stock - i slip on every launch

Now have some walker springs - so will also upgrade the actuator when i do them

Thanks heaps man

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just put the longer push lever on. Like Scott said, it's not a massive difference in longer engagement zone & less effort but it is there. Kind of on the fence on whether to do the hydro clutch master. I still think those 90 degree bends will always be an issue. Riding the bike the first time with a dry cable, nearly seized clutch lever pivot & stock push lever was a little aggravating but I still rode the bike. Might leave well enough alone.

EDIT: Something I may have also missed is that it's not a clutch issue but a throttle issue. It's a little 'sticky'...it's smooth but it doesn't snap back to closed when I let it go. I lubed the cables up, cleaned up the sleeve/handlebar & it's better but it's still not 100%. Just ordered cables so I'll see what I see when they arrive.

Last edited:

Sdaniels

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The pull is much lighter. Almost to the point of being too light but the engagement zone for the clutch is longer & I think that's why. With a new cable & the extended push lever I still felt releasing the clutch was never perfectly smooth.