Clutch cable rubber seal broken?

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I was lubing the cables today and I decided to squirt where the clutch cable meets the clutch (or whatever it is :squid:) with a little WD-40, and it looks like there is a rubber seal that covers the tube where the cable runs into and then around and up to the clutch lever. I touched it and it seemed loose... and got a flashlight on it and the sucker has disintegrated. I have attached a pic. I pulled part of it back to illustrate. It was still covering the tube hole before I moved it, but was definitely not sealed on there. Is this something I should worry about? Any suggestions/insight would be most appreciated as usual :thumbup:

Thanks,
Craig

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would almost think that seal is as much or more a lubricant dam to keep lube from dripping down at a high rate after servicing as it is a seal to keep dirt out. I've never had a dirt issue in that area. Keep it clean and lubed and ride!

Last edited:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I would almost think that seal is as much or more a lubricant dam to keep lube from dripping down at a high rate after servicing as it is a seal to keep dirt out. I've never had a dirt issue in that area. Keep it clean and lubed and ride!

I view it the opposite way.... that's a wiper, like you have on the fork tubes, to keep excess grunge from sticking to the part of the oily cable that slides in and out of the end of the cable sheath..... think of a sandy beach, you and the GF all by yourselves:cheer:

...... and the sand getting places that it really shouldn't.:eek::spank:

Not sure if you can replace the rubber bit, but I'd give it a go. Or try taping it in place..... Protection is a good thing. :D

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
think of a sandy beach, you and the GF all by yourselves:cheer:

...... and the sand getting places that it really shouldn't.:eek::spank:

:D

Ouch, that hurts just thinking about it. Reminds me of a friend who had a roll in the poison oak with his girlfriend (it was dark, they were young etc.). Seemed ok at the time but it came back to haunt him,

That seal is there for a reason, try to save it or replace it.
Oh yeah, spend a few bucks on cable lube, much better than WD-40.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
the clear cable sheath and seal are both broken and may soon come off on my bike. where can i buy a replacement? i couldn't find it on ronayers.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Craig...

If your bike is a 2008, I have a hard time believing the rubber tip has broken down already.

It might not be as bad as you think; I discovered my rubber bit had come adrift on my 2005; walked down the cable to about where you have yours pictured. It is not sealed onto the end of the cable, it has a groove inside that rides on the knurled lip at the tip of the sheath. Slide it back over the end of the cable and see if it pops over that lip and seats. Really quite a loose fit...... but mine has not budged again in over two years.

Try the simplest things first and be happy if they work.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Craig...

If your bike is a 2008, I have a hard time believing the rubber tip has broken down already.

It might not be as bad as you think; I discovered my rubber bit had come adrift on my 2005; walked down the cable to about where you have yours pictured. It is not sealed onto the end of the cable, it has a groove inside that rides on the knurled lip at the tip of the sheath. Slide it back over the end of the cable and see if it pops over that lip and seats. Really quite a loose fit...... but mine has not budged again in over two years.

Try the simplest things first and be happy if they work.

I know, I was pretty surprised myself. I say it's a testament to the importance of going over the bike closely with a flashlight every so often to check for these things. I don't know how it could have fallen apart like that. Have never left it in the sun for extended amounts of time, I keep it covered, don't let dirt or salt accumulate, etc. I might throw a little electric tape down there and keep an eye on it. It just startled me when I discovered it and didn't remember any posts about that off the top of my head. No other rubber tubing or anything like that is in bad shape on the bike (that I have found), which leads me to believe that perhaps the cable got too dry for too long and was rubbing on that seal (or whatever you want to call it), which may have been dry too, and eventually pulled it apart. I know you say it's aloose fit, but in my case, I don't know how else to explain it. :confused:

In any case, I'm not too worried about it. Just had a WTF!?! moment ;)

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, spend a few bucks on cable lube, much better than WD-40.

I know, the only other stuff I have is DuPont Teflon dry lube for the chain, but I'm afraid it gets too gummy for the cable housing. I'm going to do a search now on here and see what the good stuff is, and order away! :cheer: Thanks...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I still can't find it in any of the microfiche sections.
I'll use some electrical tape in the meantime to hold it together.

Its listed under "stering handle cable" under the scroll down section...

SKU: 5VX-26335-00-00
CABLE, CLUTCH 1 $19.81

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

Its listed under "stering handle cable" under the scroll down section...

SKU: 5VX-26335-00-00
CABLE, CLUTCH 1 $19.81

Thanks. I'm sure there's a $0.01 solution at Home Depot or an automotive store. Just have to get creative. I'll just use electrical tape to keep things together for now....:BLAA:

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I know I'm reviving an old thread here.
But I found this, which may be helpful, especially to the OP:

DYN7687.jpg

Dynamite Replacement Boots: CV-Shafts, Black (4): TMX Radio Control Slot Cars - RCSLOT.com Secure Online Store

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine has been broken for a while. Not really too worried about it. I guess a quick fix you could use some heat shrink tubing our something.

I use Tri-Flow to lube my cables rather than using WD-40.

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I just ordered one of these:

HP TOOLS CABLE LUBER RED | MotoSport

And a few of these:

SILKOLENE PRO CHAIN LUBE - 14 OZ | MotoSport

Now of course that I read it again I don't see it being for cables, but I need chain lube anyway. Think this would be ok? The only stuff I found on Motosport is this for cables:

CABLE LUBRICANT - 6.25 OZ | MotoSport

Not to resurrect another cable lube post... but I guess I am :spank:

You should be fine with the stuff above.
I use Maxima chain wax to lube my chain cables. But of course it says "Chain & Cable lube" right on the can. I assume it's ok.
So if you trust Maxima you can just buy one can of that.

Also if you find one of those rubber seals in a brick and mortar store in MD, please let me know! I'd imagine you can go to a hobby shop with a printout of one of those seals and they may have some for RC parts. I will probably do that once mine falls apart completely.

Also , since we're on the subject of cable lubing.
The clutch and throttle cables need to be lubricated at the nipples ( :D )
The cables break at the nipple that engages the clutch lever/throttle because without adequate lubrication, the nipple binds in the lever and doesn't swivel properly. This flexes the cable back and forth and fatigues it to the point of breakage. If you look at the service manual, it clearly shows that the nipples need to be lubricated with lithium-soap based grease.

Last edited:

blitzcraig

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all of that, I will let you know if I see anything. Pretty slim pickin's as far as bike shops are concerned around here. Thanks for the diagram too. I've never taken the throttle or clutch cables assemblies apart to get the lube in there really well. I'll keep searching on here for some good info.