Clutch Cable Housing problem

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I lubed my clutch cable. Went for a 20 mile ride. Great!
Today on the way home from work I had a problem with my clutch engaging I guess. As I'm pulling away from a stop sign, the bike feels like it is severely under powered. I had the clutch handle fully out and was giving it decent gas but was just crawling along.
I pull over and look at the clutch cable down at the engine. The plastic protective housing over the cable is gone! I sat there and shifted from N to 1st and then up to 2nd, no problems. Rode the last 3 miles home no problem.
Could the protective covering be jamming the cable up and not allowing the clutch to fully engage?
Maybe I'll just replace it since the cable has no protection from dirt now.
I guess riding it probably isn't a good idea until this is sorted out. Grrr...
Any insight is much appreciated.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The lack of the plastic cover is not a problem. But yes it could be jamming up the cable if it gets stuck in the outer cover.
Also check your clutch cable adjustment, at both the lever and under the tank.

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
The lack of the plastic cover is not a problem. But yes it could be jamming up the cable if it gets stuck in the outer cover.
Also check your clutch cable adjustment, at both the lever and under the tank.

Clutch free play seems pretty good at about 7-8mm. I haven't looked under the tank yet though. I think I'm just going to pull the cable out and replace it. I don't want the jamming to happen again and be stuck somewhere far from home. Thanks.