close call

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
In conclusion, I blame everything on the red light camera.

:rof:

at least tc is giving us an honest assesment of what happened and how it can be avoided for the next time..

+1

most people have too much pride to post up their incidents

I thought you were MPH in the US.

Also, no good doing 60 if the speed limit is below.

You've had a few scares lately on your bike - we'd like to see you ride safe.

we are on MPH...lol I wish we were on metric but oh well.

You never speed? I do.

Keep the "WE"s to yourself :Flip: ;)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In conclusion, I blame everything on the red light camera.
:confused:

Huh???!!!! If you weren't there, there wouldn't be a red light camera Grasshoppa! Om... Om.... Om... Repeat after me....."I am the red light camera and the red light camera is me...I am the red light camera and the red light camera is me....

No judgement. Do your thing but please own it!

Take care of your self and others!

Glad you and others are okay! :rockon:

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
um thats seems faster than 60 KPH, i like the helmet cam though. I like the idea of being able to review my rides, but i would want to make sure that i am looking further down the road. That was the one thing that beat me up on my MSC the whole look where you want to go and go there.

Looking at your video I agree that the car was wrong, but being right isn't always such a good thing. Flying over a car because you are maybe going a little fast and you t-bone him, even if he is wrong you are the guy in the air.

I do have to say that cam setup is friggin sweet, i have a new item for christmas.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:rof:

+1

most people have too much pride to post up their incidents

we are on MPH...lol I wish we were on metric but oh well.

You never speed? I do.

Keep the "WE"s to yourself :Flip: ;)

I sometimes speed but not in suburbia. And certainly not near lights/intersections.

Country, isolated roads only.

Don't worry - there are PLENTY of roads like that in Western Australia ;)

And if anyone says they NEVER speed, they lie :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haelous

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is good that you didn't lock the brakes at least.

I appreciate these posts because I'm a new rider and they help me to think of what I would do given the same situation.

I'm guessing the speed limit is 35 or 40 on that road, but I can't read the sign at the start. When people are looking to pull out, they may not expect someone to be going 50%+ the speed limit. So there's a possibility he saw you, and then pulled out anyway believing he could make it. The same logic applies to the pedestrian, although some peds just go anyway.

I would try to lower my risk on a busy road like that by going slower, running in a lower gear for more engine braking, and not death gripping the throttle to make it easier to get on the brake. There's no buffer on the right side on that road, at all. I believe the left lane would have been safer as it would make the rider more visible to oncoming traffic and vehicles pulling out, and had a buffer on both the left and the right sides.

This is actually one of the problems I have with the logic of, "it's always the fault of the person pulling out." I truly don't think it is, especially with how I've seen some sport bikes do 90mph+ on roads here. I always wait for sport bikes to pass before pulling out for this reason.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I did not brake at all because from my MSF training (yes I took MSF!) I knew the better action was to swerve. [/url]

First of all, let me compliment you on nice quality video. But, I would have just slowed down. It didn't seem to me that it was THAT close of a call. I counted two full seconds from the time the car first pulled out. That would calculate to about 430 feet distance traveled at 60 MPH in two seconds. (maybe somebody knows the FZ6 stopping distance required at 60 MPH?) Thanks for posting!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When people are looking to pull out, they may not expect someone to be going 50%+ the speed limit. So there's a possibility he saw you, and then pulled out anyway believing he could make it. The same logic applies to the pedestrian, although some peds just go anyway.

Most drivers do not realize the fact that size of the approaching motorcycle remains relativley the same size, versus a car in which it actually becomes much larger as it gets closer. This is one of the primary reasons why people pull out in front of the motorcyclist, since the object is so small, they think it's far away. Combine the fact that it is very difficult to judge the speed of the oncoming motorcycles because of it's small size, it will make it impossible for anyone to make a calculated decision whether it's safe for them to pull out.

This is one the main reasons why they still pull out even after seeing the oncoming motorcyclist. That is why, your speed and lane position and your positioning within the lane is so critical. Make yoursef not only more visible, but leave yourself some outs in case this happens. Because if you ride enough, it will happen. Think about it, you think the car pulling out being in that position would have seen you better towards the outside of the roadway (left lane) or the immediate inside lane (right lane). The driver proabably looked over their left shoulder, which would have made the rider non exhistent because nobody turns their heads that far.

Once again, the obective is to use your mental capabilities so you can anticipate disasterous scenarios from developing so you do not have to rely on your physical skills. If your mental and physical skill fail, all you have left is your safety gear, and even wearing all the gear, and the best gear will not be enough to save your ass all the time.

Last edited:

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
:confused:

No judgement. Do your thing but please own it!

Take care of your self and others!

Glad you and others are okay! :rockon:

Guys...he was joking about blaming the camera...

Was I joking? I made my decision and I am going own it like Motogiro said!

I was not joking when I said red light camera makes me ride more aggressively than usual. Check out this video and you'll see why. You can see I was riding normally until that damn red light.

Contour >> Why I hate red light camera by tcmalker

Hope I don't get flame for this. :spank:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I was not joking when I said red light camera makes me ride more aggressively than usual. Check out this video and you'll see why. You can see I was riding normally until that damn red light.

Passing inside of a intersection, then passing on the shoulder, plus speeding, can I invest in your life insurance?

Whenever I approach an intersection, I glance at the crosswalk signal to see if it's going to change on me or not. Here is Vegas, they actually show the countdown in seconds.

Just slow down if you think it's going to change, you don't have to throttle out everytime.

About the camera, I don't know how they can tell that you were the one riding the bike since you would be wearing a helmet. Oh wait, Illiniois. No helmet law, do you wear a helmet? There is also no front plate, unless the camera takes pictures of you going past the intersection. Even some fender eliminator kits will make it impossible for red light cameras to get a good picture of the plates.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Passing inside of a intersection, then passing on the shoulder, plus speeding, can I invest in your life insurance?

Whenever I approach an intersection, I glance at the crosswalk signal to see if it's going to change on me or not. Here is Vegas, they actually show the countdown in seconds.

Just slow down if you think it's going to change, you don't have to throttle out everytime.

About the camera, I don't know how they can tell that you were the one riding the bike since you would be wearing a helmet. Oh wait, Illiniois. No helmet law, do you wear a helmet? There is also no front plate, unless the camera takes pictures of you going past the intersection. Even some fender eliminator kits will make it impossible for red light cameras to get a good picture of the plates.

Well, in Chicago, they don't need to know who's driving/riding. They send the ticket to the register owner, which happens to be me. They also take pictures of the rear license plate. I wear my helmet 99% of the time, my camera is stuck to the side of my helmet. I tried to ask earlier in a previous post about mounting license plate which would make it hard/impossible for red light cameras to get picture, but was warned by the moderator it's against forum rules, and had to remove it....at least I tried. I'm working on a hinge system for next year. ;)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Seriously dude, please stop posting videos.

Your latest: Contour >> Why I hate red light camera by tcmalker I could use in class and have my novice motorycle students be able to pick out all the things wrong with your riding.

Don't blame the 'red light cameras' that you already knew was there 24/7. If you were riding at a more reasonable speed and looking well ahead (as a rider should be), you would have seen the light turn amber long before you obviously did. Lucky there was no one trying to turn left on the yellow from the oncoming lane at that intersection. Then there is your brilliant decision to undertake a car and basically share his lane. Undertake next to a curb with parked cars and construction just up ahead too. Brilliant piece of riding.

The one thing I've found when a rider continually blames everyone else and everything around them for the 'dangerous situations', it's usually the rider that is the one continually putting themselves into bad situations as a result of poor judgment and lack of scanning. Oh but that's right, you're an 'agressive' rider....

I'm working on a hinge system for next year.
The fact that you are even thinking or feeling the need to do this tells me exactly what kind of rider you are.

Again, enough with the videos. They have got you booted from other forums by the sound of it and your heading in the same directions here.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most drivers do not realize the fact that size of the approaching motorcycle remains relativley the same size, versus a car in which it actually becomes much larger as it gets closer. This is one of the primary reasons why people pull out in front of the motorcyclist, since the object is so small, they think it's far away. Combine the fact that it is very difficult to judge the speed of the oncoming motorcycles because of it's small size, it will make it impossible for anyone to make a calculated decision whether it's safe for them to pull out.

This is one the main reasons why they still pull out even after seeing the oncoming motorcyclist. That is why, your speed and lane position and your positioning within the lane is so critical. Make yoursef not only more visible, but leave yourself some outs in case this happens. Because if you ride enough, it will happen. Think about it, you think the car pulling out being in that position would have seen you better towards the outside of the roadway (left lane) or the immediate inside lane (right lane). The driver proabably looked over their left shoulder, which would have made the rider non exhistent because nobody turns their heads that far.

Once again, the obective is to use your mental capabilities so you can anticipate disasterous scenarios from developing so you do not have to rely on your physical skills. If your mental and physical skill fail, all you have left is your safety gear, and even wearing all the gear, and the best gear will not be enough to save your ass all the time.

Additionally, most people who are not familiar to motorcycles are not aware of the rate of acceleration of a motorcycle. So even if they've looked to see you, they don't realize how fast you're going to close the gap and they pull into your path. Their brain is tuned to the acceleration vehicles that generally increase speed more slowly.

Also the fact that qualification for a operator's license are only a few points away from letting chimps drive. :BLAA:

Figure it this way: Road rage might be a little safer if we considered throwing poop at each other!:eek::Flip::rof:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Figure it this way: Road rage might be a little safer if we considered throwing poop at each other!:eek::Flip::rof:

I knew this guy who would carry a 12" Adult Toy (you get the idea) and he would hold it up in the air and shake it in view of the driver whenever he got cut off or something.

Can you imagine mounting one that has a suction cup on the end ontop of your tank just for that purpose? There would be no road rage either.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously dude, please stop posting videos.

Your latest: Contour >> Why I hate red light camera by tcmalker I could use in class and have my novice motorycle students be able to pick out all the things wrong with your riding.

Don't blame the 'red light cameras' that you already knew was there 24/7. If you were riding at a more reasonable speed and looking well ahead (as a rider should be), you would have seen the light turn amber long before you obviously did. Lucky there was no one trying to turn left on the yellow from the oncoming lane at that intersection. Then there is your brilliant decision to undertake a car and basically share his lane. Undertake next to a curb with parked cars and construction just up ahead too. Brilliant piece of riding.

The one thing I've found when a rider continually blames everyone else and everything around them for the 'dangerous situations', it's usually the rider that is the one continually putting themselves into bad situations as a result of poor judgment and lack of scanning. Oh but that's right, you're an 'agressive' rider....

Again, enough with the videos.

Boneman (and also Vegasrider), you have my expressed permission to use my videos in your class. I assume you're an MSF instructor? I'm a lost cause, so might as well use these videos to save someone who can be saved.

About that last video, yeah I used bad judgement. But let me defend myself as best I could.

1. I was going the speed limit initially, going with the flow of traffic as you can see.

2. I had ample space between me and the vehicle in front of me (cabbie)

3. I've already made up my mind what I would do if the light turn yellow, which is to 'gun it'. I changed to right lane because I needed more room to accelerate.

4. Changed to 'furthest' right lane because I still needed more room to accelerate.

5. Saw construction ahead and accelerated some more.

I admit I was wrong, should have stop at step #3. All this to avoid a $100 ticket. If that light was a non-camera kind, I would have just kept going, speed limit and all.

Per Boneman request, I am going to stop posting videos here. I am still going to post videos up at the contour site if anybody is interested.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm not going to flame you Grasshoppa. I'm just going to try to convey to you that, you are the one bringing yourself to the red light. It is your rate of speed per the conditions that create the scenario of having to fight through the intersection! If you hit a tree, it's your tree, it's not the trees fault anymore than it's red light camera's fault. Okay, you've gotten the attention you've sought.

Now repeat after me: I am the tree and the tree is me...... I am the tree and the tree is me...... I am the tree and the tree is me...... :rof::rof::rof: Go ahead man! Slow down......come to the tree....stop....get off the bike......okay, now hug the tree! :rolleyes:

robaho

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like you made a few poor choices (I am talking about the first video here), but reacted well under pressure. Riding at night and close to parked vehicles is not the right time and place for aggresive riding.

As for the second video, you made many poor choices and you left yourself with no "outs". Better to stop at a yellow/red light than get tagged by a vehicle that had no idea you were even there until they hit ya. Car vs. motorcycle = car wins every time.....

I suggest that you read through your MSF book again, and pay particular attention to the section that deals with risk factors. The more risk factors (under your control) that you remove from your ride, the less likely you are to be in an accident....

And yes, I do practice what I preach - I do ride aggressively at times, but not in congested areas and definitely not at intersections.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
admin, why do u keep banning me? all i posted was an interesting related thread.
I do admit i was on the aggressive side with my post last night, but then again, there are different riding styles on the road, example tcmalker rides aggressive.

I think I should be allowed to post aggressivley too, no? lol

seriously, read this post to be a little enlightnened.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

Hey, can you folks from the ex-500 forum leave me the hell alone? First Pogo registered here just so he can laugh at my misfortune (getting hit by an SUV), now you come here to do what? What's your purpose? I got enough flames from you guys over there. Most FZ6 riders are aggressive, so I feel at home here. :Flip:

K

Kaifist3

well in that case I will leave u be. I was hoping to help u understand that safety is important, but u seem to be interested in another dimension/perspective. I truly hope u slow down before its too late!! no sarcasm in this post at all. last time I post here too. good luck sir!