Clip-ons ???

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your are right Nelly, in fact he used a Super bike bar with about a 2 to 3 inch rise. The thing I like about a lower bar/clip ons is the stretch you out long on the top of the bike. Because your lower and longer it is easyier to hang off on the FZ and wrap your arm around the gas tank. The old 1000cc bikes from the '80s were very, very long compared to the new bikes so you had more room to move around.

Does that make sence?

Eddie was god
Thanks Pete,

It does make sense. I personally think that rider agility is more important than bar position. When I first got my bike I was about 14lb heavier than an now. I found that trying to hang off when I was a fat chap near on impossible.

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
Tank clearance is almost a larger issue. Because the tank is so wide in front, you'll need to angle the clip ons into a wider position, ie: more forward. I have an 07 but DI could comment on the 04 to 06.

From what I recall he removed his fairing for the clip ons to clear. Remember he did have them on the top of the top clamp and then moved them below the top clamp. The move to the bottom of the clamp will give you even less clearance with the fairing.

DI - please correct me if I'm off base.

I don't like what i hear :(. Although it's a good excuse to get rid of the front end, i don't want to invest another 700$ (i'm being conservative) into that. I really like the feeling of clip-ons but if it's such a hassle to get a pair on i might just forget about it and get another bike. But i love the feeling of the FZ, it's so conservative compared to SS, it forgives a lot of mistakes but it still has 90% of the kick SS have.

My only viable option would be convertibars, which are kindof expensive for what they are IMO.

I guess that i'll have to do some custom work this winter.

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like what i hear :(. Although it's a good excuse to get rid of the front end, i don't want to invest another 700$ (i'm being conservative) into that. I really like the feeling of clip-ons but if it's such a hassle to get a pair on i might just forget about it and get another bike. But i love the feeling of the FZ, it's so conservative compared to SS, it forgives a lot of mistakes but it still has 90% of the kick SS have.

My only viable option would be convertibars, which are kindof expensive for what they are IMO.

I guess that i'll have to do some custom work this winter.

I understand fully. The Convertis are expensive, however you can really dial them in exactly how you like them. I was in the same boat you are currenlty and finally gave in. I'm very happy with the purchase and the new position I'm in.

Come on down to Austin and you're more than free to take the Fizzer for a spin and see what you think! :D

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
DefyInertia... would the clipons clear the fairing of a 2005? I'm really tempted to switch to clipps but i dont want to dish out 200$ and then find out they hit the fairing

Yes, helibars or blackbird clipons would. mbodell, gosling, and a few others have faired pre2007 bikes with clipons.

Tank clearance is almost a larger issue.

From what I recall he removed his fairing for the clip ons to clear. Remember he did have them on the top of the top clamp and then moved them below the top clamp. The move to the bottom of the clamp will give you even less clearance with the fairing.

DI - please correct me if I'm off base.

Yup, tank clearance is the only issue on the pre2007 bikes (no idea on the 07+). That is, so long as you're willing to mount the clipons above the top triple.

I removed my fairing via a crash at the track and the clipons came later.

I moved them below because the geometry was too screwed up (for track use, IMHO) when they were above.

How far did you have to drop the forks down or is it raise them through the yokes? Have you had an comfort issues on longer runs Defy? You are probably one of the tallest members.

Nelly

I can do whatever I want with the forks at this point; they are not affected by the clipons (because I'm naked).

Comfort issues, no.

I can do a 300 mile day of twisties with no problems but buring out 500 miles of highway or something would probably suck. The key is to keep the weight off your wrists by using your core (this takes some getting used to).

All that said, it all depends on the rider. Gosling who has done 55K+ miles on his 2006 prefers clipons over the handle bar simply for comfort...I, on the other hand, would probably prefer the handle bar if comfort was the only consideration.

Hey Pete,
Forgive me if I am wrong, didn't Eddie Lawson's flat tracker have a straight bar? Boy could he turn that bike in.

I am really struggling to see how the bar makes it easier to get off the bike.

Nelly

First, a flat tracker is very different than a modern SS and what you're doing with them is very different. I don't see how that is relevant here. And with regard to motorcycle road racing, a lot has changed there...you really don't see anyone in MotoGP using anything but today's "textbook body position".

Clipons allow the rider to get down and inside without bending their wrists soooo much that they compromise their ability to make smooth/precise inputs. They simply make MORE body position possible.

Clipons also give you WAY MORE feedback.

None of this really matters at a street pace.

Thanks Pete,

It does make sense. I personally think that rider agility is more important than bar position. When I first got my bike I was about 14lb heavier than an now. I found that trying to hang off when I was a fat chap near on impossible.

To a point, it won't matter, but you can't drag elbow with a big honkin handlebar on there, get it? :thumbup:

Last edited:

schumy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, helibars or blackbird clipons would. mbodell, gosling, and a few others have faired pre2007 bikes with clipons.

Interesting... so you're saying that the blackbird/helibars won't hit the fairing on pre '07 models?

That's interesting... if it's just a matter of them hitting the tank then everything is fine :) i don't mind angling them forward

Morcs

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the thread dredge, but how do the blackbird bars lock onto the forks? there are no holes in the side of the forks for the little knobs on the bars to fit into to prevent them from rotating on the forkleg?

Extremity

Junior Mint
Reaction score
www.echoplaneonline.com
Sorry for the thread dredge, but how do the blackbird bars lock onto the forks? there are no holes in the side of the forks for the little knobs on the bars to fit into to prevent them from rotating on the forkleg?

I was also wondering this.

I have a 2005. Was looking into grabbing a pair of these:

CBR1100XX BLACKBIRD 43mm clip ons handlebars clipons: eBay Motors (item 200386235993 end time Jul-17-10 16:53:18 PDT)

After reading this thread, I am assuming these would work? No major surgery needed, just remove the handlebar and install these? Good to do? I have fallen in love with the aggressive look and feel these give and *must* have them. Anything I should be worried about other than a possibility of knicking the tank?

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't want to revive an old thread, but I feel like clipons are an important thread for those of us that have them.

I just put on vortex clip ons ($140), and I love the new feel, but they keep hitting my tank. I was turning left trying to get out of a parking spot slow and my horn button went off for a good few seconds :(

vortex clip ons don't have risers like the verti or helibars, they're straight off the forks, and they also go under the triple tree. so for anyone interested, take note!

I think the best solution is to turn the bars out perpendicular to the forks rather than turned in for the sport feel :[ or get a custom gas tank

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't want to revive an old thread, but I feel like clipons are an important thread for those of us that have them.

I just put on vortex clip ons ($140), and I love the new feel, but they keep hitting my tank. I was turning left trying to get out of a parking spot slow and my horn button went off for a good few seconds :(

vortex clip ons don't have risers like the verti or helibars, they're straight off the forks, and they also go under the triple tree. so for anyone interested, take note!

I think the best solution is to turn the bars out perpendicular to the forks rather than turned in for the sport feel :[ or get a custom gas tank

Couldnt you just lower the front end and mount them on top.of the tree, if you have clipons you obviously like the sporty feel why not drop the front end down a couple inches to.improve on that sportyness

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
people kept saying things like it would "change the geometry of the bike"... but I think you've got a good point, it's such a pain at slow speed maneuvers and if it makes it better in the turns then I'll definitely try it. thanks!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If you dont like it its not like its permanent just put it back up, i think it would be worth a try

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk