Clean and Lube Chain

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if you search you will find much more in depth exploitations, but I would clean with WD-40 then lube again with a nice chain wax (I use the SX wax for now)

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maxima Racing Usa - Chain Guard this is the best chain lube to use i know of.it works best if you put it on after you ride so the chain is warm and will absorb the lube easily.make a quick run then prop the bike on its center stand and spin the wheel and spray away.you should do this every 500 miles for maximum chain life.you should be able to get a can at your local dealer.

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I use Castrol Chain Wax and Chain Cleaner. Put a piece of cardboard or something between the chain and the wheel so you don't get the wax everywhere. It can be a bitch to get off =P

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
if you search you will find much more in depth exploitations,

+1 on what Rob said, I see you are a new member, part of being a member you can utilize certain features on the forum, and one of these features happens to be the search function. Just about every topic that you can imagine has been covered here on this forum, well maybe with the exception of each member's sexual orientation. Wouln't that make for an intersting poll?

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i use WD-40 with a tooth brush (do it in the street cause it's messy, or car-board), and its cleaned i take it for a quick buzz to warm the chain, then park the bike, put it on the center stand pop it in 1st gear are lube the chain. I do it every month or whenever it rains.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
i use WD-40 with a tooth brush (do it in the street cause it's messy, or car-board), and its cleaned i take it for a quick buzz to warm the chain, then park the bike, put it on the center stand pop it in 1st gear are lube the chain. I do it every month or whenever it rains.

I hope you don't mean have it in gear while running. It's infinitely safer to just grab the chain with a rag to move it with the bike off.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the straw on the chain lube so i am pretty safe, beside in first gear it goes about 5 MPH. I keep everything away and i also spay it into the Axel.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the straw on the chain lube so i am pretty safe, beside in first gear it goes about 5 MPH. I keep everything away and i also spay it into the Axel.
Just be careful mate,
I have seen three lost digits due to people running the bike whilst oiling the chain.
Even at 5mph it is still going quicker than your ability to pull your finger out.

Nelly

Last edited:

lattin25

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 Nelly. I remember seeing one posted on here from another forum from someone who lost fingers cleaning the chain while it was in gear. I've smashed my finger pretty hard just moving the tire and not getting my fingers out of the way. I can't imagine what its like seeing your fingers pop off and land on the floor in front of you!!!

Anyways I used motul cleaner and lube and it works good. Always best to refer to your manual and search here on the forum too.

yamadado

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't recommend WD40 because it's too aggressive for rubber sealings on o-ring and x ring chains.
it penetrates beyond rubber sealings and destroy original factory lubricant.

I recommend diesel gasoline (because it's more oily and less destructive then regular) or chain cleaner intended just for cleaning of chains but those can be expensive.

In Croatia we have silkolene and motul products, which are ok in price/quality ratio .

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm, normally a kerosone is sufficient to clean a chean, like what the manual says. I go for GT85 for chain cleaning though.

N lubing it with maxima chain guard. preety good stuff as the lube wont dry up so easily. But for normal daily commuting or long distance ride, its best to get scottoiler.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
[quote yamadado] I don't recommend WD40 because it's too aggressive for rubber sealings on o-ring and x ring chains.
it penetrates beyond rubber sealings and destroy original factory lubricant.

I recommend diesel gasoline (because it's more oily and less destructive then regular) or chain cleaner intended just for cleaning of chains but those can be expensive.

In Croatia we have silkolene and motul products, which are ok in price/quality ratio .
[/quote]

This article was posted last year that specifically looked at the effect WD40 and other cleaners had on "O" rings. There was no actual evidence in this article to suggest that WD40 was damaging.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/5345-chain-cleaner.html

Check out the post by Dark_isz it is brilliant.

Nelly

Last edited:

b.konstadinos

LIVE TO RIDE TO LIVE
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use WD-40 with KETTENMAX (KETTENMAX) for cleaning the chain and after that i use the BEL-RAY chain lube for lubricating. Works grate for me. My chain is always clean and lubed. The KETTENMAX works grate!:thumbup:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site

DO NOT DO THIS

This is an easy way to lose your fingers. Never have the engine running when cleaning the chain. There is no reason to do it. Put it on the centre stand and out of gear. start with a rag and some kerosine. Let the chain run through the rag and turn the tyre. Change the position of the rag occasionally. If you then need to use a toothbrush, then use it.

Change for dry rag and do the same.

Spray with chain wax. After next ride wipe wax residue off frame, wheel, etc with kerosine.

Job done in 10 minutes. All fingers on hands.

I do mine about once a month when riding and before it goes in for winter. I have a 2006 bike and the chain is like new.

Steve

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pure Simple Green. Spray it on, let it sit for about one minute, then use warm water and dish soap. Cuts grease better than any petro based cleaner I've ever tried.