Clean and Lube Chain

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No one here is using that DuPont Teflon wax lubricant but me?
I can't get it...............
Nelly

[edit] after thought, chain lube has been done to almost oil levels of death. This may explain why there are few responses.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site

You're not alone, that's my chain lube of choice as well.

I clean the chain with kerosene and a nylon-bristle brush because the manual calls for it, it works terrific, and I have gallons of kerosene on-hand anyway because that's what my portable heater uses as fuel.

Someone in the other thread that Nelly linked to indicated using a wire brush for cleaning. Can that damage o-rings? I can't recall if you can see them (or the stiff wires might be able to reach them), and I'm not near the bike right now to check. Seems offhand like it might be possible to shred them with a wire brush?

fzinger

Urban Cowboy
Reaction score
Visit site

+1!

If you guys (and gals) haven't tried this method, you're missing out.

A friend of mine whom is a lifelong rider (40+ years) recommended this to me after my dismay of cleaning and lubing my chain. Always made such a mess of my otherwise clean & pristine bike!

This stuff RULES. Plain and simple. Starting with a thoroughly clean AND DRY chain (I use kerosene, same as Yamaha recommends) just spray it on! The carrier in the spray evaporates immediately to leave behind a thin layer of Teflon that NOTHING will stick to. My chain looked just like the day I sprayed it down after almost 1,000 miles of riding! Just that thin, white film of Teflon, similar to what you would see on a freshly "waxed" chain.

The beauty of this method is that the Teflon is SO SLICK that dirt, mud, and other contaminants can't cling to it. But it clings SO TIGHT the the chain that it won't sling off onto your bike! If you're careful applying it, you will have NO CLEANUP afterward. You're ready to go!

NOW - that being said, I have no long-term usage reports as to how long the chain and sprockets are going to hold up using this method. They look the same after about 2,000 miles riding. Others swear by this method and claim the wear is identical to any "other" cleaning/lubing methods.

I like it and highly recommend it! :thumbup:

Naysayers: FLAME AWAY!

Wildcard

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using ONLY the DuPont since I bought the bike new. I've got nearly 4k miles on the bike now and the chain still looks shiny as new. I use a rag and WD-40 to clean the chain then apply the DuPont after a quick ride around the neighborhood.