Clank, click, knock???

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Fazer 2006, 14.000 km on the clock. I must admit, it is my first so quiet bike. I bought it 3 weeks ago. And instead of hearing noisy exhaust like it was up to now, here I can hear lots of other stuff.
First of all I got this yamatick thing, it appears when the engine is warm, starts at 3000 and ends up at 4000 rpm- APE manual tensioner on the way- hope it hepls.
Then, during lower speeds, when the wind wasn't killing other sounds I heard a regular friction slough. I thought it is coming from the engine/drive. Finally I realized this disapears when I use front brakes. Sometimes it appears, lately not :)

Now to the point. Like almost all owners I also find quite difficult to smoothly operate clutch, especially during shifting up at low and middle revs. I am slowly getting used to it, using preload on the shifter lever helps a lot. A strange thing happens when I want to shift down. When I pull the clutch lever and operate with throttle to get proper revs I can hear the click, clank or whatever u may call it. It makes this sound once I throttle up, and second time when I release the throttle and engine slows down. Another throttle up and another clank, throtle down, clank again. It is exactly the same sound u get when the bike is fully warmed up, u switch the engine off, switch 1st gear and push the bike back and forward. The play in my transmission is really minor; I can move the bike 10-15 cm only (if not less).

Is this clank/click sound normal in the situation described above? Or what might be the possible reasons and solutions?
Thx in advance.

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Make sure the clutch lever free play is within spec and the chain has the correct slack. Then just ride like you normally do you'll get use to it and won't notice it anymore.

Also the play you feel when rolling it back and fourth may not be just the transmission but also the chain slack.

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Thx for your advises. The chain tension is on the tighter side rather than on slack; still not too tight. Clutch lever is at factory free play.
And not the play when I am rolling the bike worries me most, because i know it is normal. What worries me is when I slow down lets say to 40 km/h, pull the clutch lever and operate with the throttle up and down I can hear and even feel in my feet this knocking sound from the drive/gearbox.

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for replyin to my own post. I just checked the distance I can move the bike with engine off and 1st gear on. It is about 5 cm, so I guess the transmission play is really minor.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe you are talking about 'drive line lash' The FZ6 engine was in a sport bike, with minimal flywheel, and now it has an abrupt fuel injection most noticeable when rolling on and off the gas. Smoothness helps lessening the noise but it does no harm to the engine, they're Yamaha tough! Don't worry be happy in other words!

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Thx :) I really enjoy riding this bike.
Perhaps switchng to Motul 5100 would reduce this clunk? I live in a really hot place, from May till October temps remain over 30 celcius. I am thinking about 15w40, good idea?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My observation is this; the drive chain if too tight makes the gear box whine excessively. As such, I run my at the maximum specification and when on the center stand it looks loose. Keep it very clean and well lubed will also make it noticeably more quiet and less vibrations. It has 17,000 miles on it now and looks like new and is very smooth.

Here are some suggestions;
- Loosen the clutch adjuster, remove the clutch cable and LUBE IT REAL WELL. When it pulls easy it makes release much more predictable and controllable.
- Clean and lube drive chain
- Remove front cover and clean under the cover. Examine nut make sure its tight, NO RED RUST BETWEEN NUT, SPROCKET, SHAFT.
- adjust chain slack to max: 45.0–55.0 mm (1.77–2.17 in), its checked just behind the screw and plastic securing the swing arm protector. See owners manual.
- Yes, Engine oil effects the clunk! Try the Motul for MC. Although I am now a fan of Amsoil. Bike loves it!

There is member on here selling a cable lube kit. It is a godsend. I have something like it I use a tiny teflon tube on an insulin syringe. I can insert the tube a good 4" down into the clutch cables sheath and its SO HAPPY with fresh Lube!

Pawciorc

Reaction score
Visit site
Thx for such detailed suggestions. My chain and rear sprocket look like new, no signs of wear. I must check the front sprocket and the famous nut:) As for lubing of cables I agree with you, mine runs smoothly tho. Chain lubed yesterday and no difference at all. The chain slack within manual limits.
I guess this bike just requires more time to get used to it.